The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Charlie Brookes Returns

Home Forums Horse Racing Charlie Brookes Returns

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

Just found out that Charlie Brookes has returned to the training ranks. Does anyone know what his set up is, how many horses has he got in etc ?

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Not news that has reached every quarter, evidently, as this new PA article regarding the wife’s impending sprogdom still refers to Charlie Brooks as a "former racehorse trainer";

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres … 548317398A

Further information on the return was given in the

back on November 7th;

CHARLIE BROOKS has resumed his training career after a 13-year hiatus and is hoping to saddle his first runner before Christmas.

The flamboyant Brooks quit first time around shortly after Suny Bay finished runner-up in the 1998 Grand National, citing "aggro from owners".

During a colourful first stint as a licence holder, when he took over at Uplands, in Lambourn, aged just 25, Brooks achieved success with the likes of Couldnt Be Better, who landed the Hennessy in 1995, and Champion Hurdle third Celtic Shot.

After leaving Eton to become a stable lad for Fred Winter, he carved out a successful career as an amateur rider. He rode in the Grand National and won at the Cheltenham Festival before becoming the youngest trainer in Britain.

Since handing in his licence Brooks, a close friend of David Cameron and nicknamed ‘Champagne Charlie’ and ‘Looks Brooks’, has kept himself busy by writing a column in The Daily Telegraph, working for BBC Radio 5 Live and becoming an author.

He is married to Rebekah Brooks, former editor of the Sun and News of the World who, in July, was arrested in connection with allegationsof corruption and phone hacking, which led to the closure of the best-selling Sunday newspaper.

Brooks is operating from his own premises at Castle Barn Farm in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, where he has three boxes and is hoping to have some runners in bumpers this winter.

He said yesterday: "In theory, I’m back in the game as I couldn”t get a permit so I had to apply for a full licence. Some friends wanted to run some young horses in bumpers with a view to selling them on and I’d hope to run the first of them before Christmas."

He added: "We have a grass gallop at the farm, which is not shared and, although it’s not Uplands, it will be fine for now."

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1293

Thanks gc

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8181

I read that the other day and [please feel free to shoot me down for this] feel a bit uncomfortable about his wife. I’m sorry; I’m just being honest about how I feel.

no idea
    • Total Posts 685

Uncomfortable about his wife. I am more uncomfortable about him coming back training.

Mr. Pilsen
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

He’s already saddled a couple of runners…

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/310472.html

Mr. Pilsen
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1684

Whenever I hear Charlie’s name mentioned, poor old Johnny Francome always springs to mind. Long time ago now but I still feel his pain.

Still, the above is more suited to the

Lounge

, not that many of the main racing forumites visit there these days, sadly.

We could have a good ol’ chinwag about Charlie and Miriam’s venture into the sex toy industry :wink:

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

Uncomfortable about his wife. I am more uncomfortable about him coming back training.

In the Daily Mail’s Ephraim Hardcastle column on Friday, it says that "former News International boss Rebekah Brooks, 43, who could go to prison if she is charged over the phone hacking scandal, announces that she is to become the mother of a baby daughter — carried by a surrogate mother — due in February".
    It adds: "Sadly, it was to have been twins but one infant died."
    The article describes Charlie, 46, her second husband after Ross Kemp (Grant Mitchell in EastEnders), as merely a "racing enthusiast". I think that would go for all of us on this forum.
    What about those confirmed "racing enthusiasts" Sir Michael Stoute, Nicky Henderson and, listen, Aidan O’Brien?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.