The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Channel 4 Presenters – Sorry But Bring The Old Team Back

Home Forums Horse Racing Channel 4 Presenters – Sorry But Bring The Old Team Back

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Could be my memory playing tricks but I’m sure everyone used to complain about the old presenters :? I don’t dislike Tanya, but it does my head in when she can’t pronounce the horses names. I miss Francome.

"Finnans Rainbow" :roll:

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I concur with the majority of views expressed on this thread.
    I don’t however miss "Thommo", and I cannot believe that Tanya has retained a role.
    I too wish there was more focus on the horses pre – race, rather than fatuous discussion in the commentary studio.
    Perhaps I am simply becoming old, and resistant to change.

Participant
    • Total Posts 121

Could be my memory playing tricks but I’m sure everyone used to complain about the old presenters :? I don’t dislike Tanya, but it does my head in when she can’t pronounce the horses names. I miss Francome.

Both her and Nick Luck misprounced Sire De Grugys name.It is not seer but Sire as in mire,tire,fire etc.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

That is a difficult one though. Un de Sceaux is one that bothers me [probably can’t even spell it properly].

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Both her and Nick Luck misprounced Sire De Grugys name.It is not seer but Sire as in mire,tire,fire etc.

It would be seer in French wouldn’t it?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1751

It would be seer in French wouldn’t it?

Yes it would be seer as per below

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio … olicy=true

With regard to the team.

For Christs sake don’t even think of bringing back some of the old team. McCririck and Leslie Graham are not my cup of tea at all and I can only take Thommo in extremely small doses. Alistair Down could sometimes be a little mawkish for want of a better word, however I wouldn’t object to him coming back. Mike Cattermole seemed harmless enough and if push came to shove I would probably prefer him to Nick Luck. Nick Luck irritates me and I can’t quite put my finger on why. Maybe it’s because he seems bent on bringing every big race to a crescendo of hype. Claire Balding sometimes has the same affliction but on the whole she is very good. I would take Francome over Fitzgerald. I like Graham Cunningham and Jim McGrath is OK. I’m probably in a minority here but for me Rishi has improved and is now bearable. I like Alice Plunkett but I’m a little apathetic with regard to Emma Spencer. In the betting ring I have the same feeling for Tanya and Tom Lee as I do with Emma. The whole betting piece I could probably do without however I appreciate for some it is informative. As long as it is succinct and apposite I can put up with the present presenters. Mr Hoiles over Mr Holt however there are no complaints with either

All IMHO of course

Participant
    • Total Posts 121

It may be pronounced Seer in France but no-one at Cisswood calls him Seer and that includes the owner.

• Total Posts 447

I also still hate the fingers shown pressing the buttons on the touch screen desk (totally unnecessary and very messy) and the painted on stripes and faded grass superimposed on the track near the winning line. Again, totally unnecessary.

Totally agree. The touchscreen is ridiculously annoying and amateurish. Seriously, who at a TV production company gets paid to come up with this rubbish!! Disgraceful.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

My heart just sinks when they go to the cabin……endless chat & no horses in the paddock or at the start for the next race!

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

With regard to the team.

For Christs sake don’t even think of bringing back some of the old team. McCririck and Leslie Graham are not my cup of tea at all and I can only take Thommo in extremely small doses. Alistair Down could sometimes be a little mawkish for want of a better word, however I wouldn’t object to him coming back. Mike Cattermole seemed harmless enough and if push came to shove I would probably prefer him to Nick Luck. Nick Luck irritates me and I can’t quite put my finger on why. Maybe it’s because he seems bent on bringing every big race to a crescendo of hype. Claire Balding sometimes has the same affliction but on the whole she is very good. I would take Francome over Fitzgerald. I like Graham Cunningham and Jim McGrath is OK. I’m probably in a minority here but for me Rishi has improved and is now bearable. I like Alice Plunkett but I’m a little apathetic with regard to Emma Spencer. In the betting ring I have the same feeling for Tanya and Tom Lee as I do with Emma. The whole betting piece I could probably do without however I appreciate for some it is informative. As long as it is succinct and apposite I can put up with the present presenters. Mr Hoiles over Mr Holt however there are no complaints with either

All IMHO of course

Absolutely (almost) spot on. I like Nick Luck, he’s a good "presenter". The excellent Dimbo Jimbo has been brought out of his shell by Cunningham.

Don’t know what most of you are moaning about. The mere fact TRFers are TRFers suggests we are died-in-the-wool racing nuts. Therefore, we’re (on the whole) going to like form gurus more than "presenters" and more paddock action than cubbyhole chat, we’ll dislike dinky hand movements and over-hype. But this is a terrestrial channel production. It needs to cater for more types than us racing geeks! Especially knowing many of us will prefer RUK or ATR anyway.

All that considered… I think Channel 4 do a fine job.

Value Is Everything
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

My heart just sinks when they go to the cabin……endless chat & no horses in the paddock or at the start for the next race!

Agreed. The box is vastly over-used to the detriment of the horses. They are the stars, not the likes of Cunningham etc. I don’t see why people who can work out races for themselves want to hear loads of non-critical analysis and it is probably very boring to the casual observer.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9301

Given the lack of good racing this afternoon I think they put together a very enjoyable programme.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Watched the Morning Line today for the first time in a few months, I found it incredibly boring, dull and dreary.

Regardless, I stick to what I said in the other thread, I’m still a fan of Cunningham and Rishi.

I don’t disslike any of the other presenters, I just don’t think they add much to the show in terms of entertainment and

critical

analysis.

Oh yes another point, thought Richard Hoiles was good on the Channel 4 show today, him and Cunnimgham seemed to work well together and added to each others points nicely. Wouldn’t mind seeing more of them together (in a non-sexual way).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Brainstorming – I think the problem is the fact that horse racing is such an old sport, after this many years you run out of new ways to cover it! I think they either need to completely think outside the box and do something revolutionary with their presentation/coverage or go back to a more simple format and do that right.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

I can’t see why they can’t do the pre-race analysis whilst the runners are parading or as they canter down to post. This used to happen years ago in the days of the ITV Seven & Grandstand BBC coverage & worked fine. Why have they to all sit in portacabin round a table without a horse in sight?
    As someone has said the coverage is so dry only the most hardened will carry on watching it. ATR is better now.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

I don’t mind the studio stuff, actually I quite like it, doens’t bother me too much that I can’t see the horses before the race as I trust the exchanges to tell me which horses ‘look’ weak (and I don’t know the animals well enough anyway to be a good ‘eye-judge’).

PRG
    • Total Posts 34

Crepello1957
    Those were the days.

While times have moved on, there is too much around being polished on the presenting side.
    The horses and atmosphere surrounding the track should be the main attraction, not how eloquent people are.
    Going back to my original post, it’s people like Francome with his knowledge and accent and Thompson with his connection with people who are the draw. The latest bunch i.e. Balding, Pershad etc seemed processed, like they have been produced from a factory.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.