The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Changingoftheguard

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mdwillis
    • Total Posts 82

Supposing Changingoftheguard were to run in the St Leger and supposing he were to flop in the St Leger what of race do you think Aidan O’Brien should run him in were he to run as a 4-year old. There is a little race I think he should him in its is run in the middle of march that is run somewhere in gloustershire and it is known as the Triumph Hurdle. After all he has yet to win a group race or even a listed race. How many handicappers go on to win classics (albeit a very poor classic). I think he will do alright over hurdles and also I like to see Aidan O’Brien train a horse over hurdles again like he did with istabraq. If Aidan O’Brien decides not to train him over hurdles then they should send him to JP McManus/Jonjo O’Neill and Tony McCoy will ride him to victory in the Triumph Hurlde next March.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Conduit and Bollin Eric noth won handicaps before winning the Leger.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Didn’t Shareef Dancer win a handicap before romping home in the Irish Derby?

I’m sure there must be a few Free Handicap winners who’ve gone on to triumph in the Guineas?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

Mystiko did the Free Hcp/2000 Gns double.

What is it about the Triumph Hurdle? It’s just a novice hurdle race, and yet owners, trainers, punters and the media focus on it months in advance. I know people that have spent fortunes buying horses trying to win the race.

Yet it isn’t even the most valuable 4-y-old hurdle race in the country, but you never hear anything about the Aintree race until the week it’s staged.

AP

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

Corm, I’m pretty sure that SD won the Esher Cup (H’cap) before beating Epsom and Chantilly Derby winners (Teenoso and Caerleon) at The Curragh.

Speaking of Teenoso, I think he ran in a Nursery at 2.
    Don’t have reference material to hand as am doing some pub-haunting at the moment!

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Its running horses when they are too young ( i would prefer too see juvibile noivice hurldes scarpped and horses banned from running over hurldes till the September of their four yearold year)over horrid english obsticals over a track that is abit like Beverly in layout bar the odd obstical in the way and no sheep in the infield. :P

Nor sure what too back in the St Leger, not a great year for the young stayers, though the trials have been on fast ground, we have been getting rain up here and i suspect it will be good or softer by Leger day.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Mystiko did the Free Hcp/2000 Gns double.

What is it about the Triumph Hurdle? It’s just a novice hurdle race, and yet owners, trainers, punters and the media focus on it months in advance. I know people that have spent fortunes buying horses trying to win the race.

Yet it isn’t even the most valuable 4-y-old hurdle race in the country, but you never hear anything about the Aintree race until the week it’s staged.

AP

If Cheltenham get their way it won’t even be a novice hurdle anymore. I’d hate to see that, personally (almost as much as Mr Gillespie’s other "improvements" like Cross Country races at the Festival, 4 days etc…)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I actually agree with Gillespie about the Triumph. It’s a bit daft to exclude French 4-y-o’s because they won a 3-y-o hurdle in April or May when a horse could win a juvenile here in June or July and still be eligible.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Would a winner in May be excluded currently? Doesn’t the season begin on 1st May, even though we wouldn’t have juvenile hurdles then?

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5552

I would think that if Changingoftheguard did end up as a juvenile hurdler, he would not stay with Aidan O’Brien. Probably go to Paul Nicholls or someone, like Hebridean did.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3326

Carv,

A winner in May would be OK for the Triumph. I believe the request to change the race conditions dates back to the case of Tidal Fury, trained by Jonathon Jay in Newmarket.

He won a 3-y-old hurdle at Auteil on April 17th, 2005, which ruled him out of running in the 2006 Triumph Hurdle. Not that I imagine his connections were too bothered, as by the end of 2005, he’d won three more races at Auteil and taken his winnings to over £150k.

Kauto Star was another April 3-y-old winner in France, which may or may not have delayed his arrival in the Nicholls yard as he would have been ineligible for juvenile hurdles.

AP

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.