Championship Horse Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Championship Horse Racing

This topic contains 90 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Jonibake 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 252

https://www.racingpost.com/news/news/big-brands-could-go-head-to-head-in-radical-team-competition/318901

Do you see any future to this? Do you like the concept?

(Couldn’t find any thread about this, if there is one please merge it there.)

phil walker
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1362

What a dumb stupid idea… I’m just waiting for it to start as soon as possible then :wacko:

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19724

Looks a worse idea than gingers one.
    ‘focus would be on trainers and jockeys’ ‘horse would be the engine’
    what crap, the horse should be the centre piece.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 908

I had to check the calendar to make sure it wasn’t April Fools Day.

You are quite right, Nathan, racing is all about the equine athletes. The trainer’s job is to maximise a horse’s athletic ability; the jockey’s to encourage, rather than stifle, the flow of that ability.

The Flat season becomes so tedious that ideas like Wray’s are given serious consideration.

Ex RubyLight
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1031

And what’s going to be next? Getting rid of horses names and just calling the numbers on the saddle cloth.

But probably this is how today’s business men see Horse Racing at all. I bet that the RYANAIR is the 3rd most known race after the Grand National and the Derby. Cause everybody knows Ryanair….

Just waiting for the Red Bull Steeple Chase :yahoo:

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1080

Dreadful idea

Kicks off by stating “think Formula one”

i would rather think about Root canal treatment or a cancer diagnosis than think of that dismal “sport” which is followed by half wits who find Darts too complicated and think shell suits are glamorous.

Nausered
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 602

What an absolute crock of crap! That has to be the single most stupid idea that I’ve ever heard regarding racing. His brother, who formed Betfair, was the brains in the family then…

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24644

It’s not Indian Premier League or Formula 1, it’s more like a much larger Shergar Cup, but instead of just 1 day, it’s over 8; with 12 teams instead of 4… And teams making up of trainers (or combination of trainers) instead of Countries/areas/genders. Unlike the Shergar Cup, at least with only one team member there’d be no “team tactics”… And this is purely handicaps so doesn’t take horses away from the top graded races. Although possibly would take them away from the top handicaps, but any new big handicap will do that anyway. As it is we’ve got handicaps re-named now, so not sure it’ll make that much difference to the racing format.

For me; “Racing” is all about the horses and much less the people. So doesn’t really interest me as a concept, but it wouldn’t because I fell in love with racing as it is now. Doubt any TRFer would be interested in the idea for themselves. Personally, I have doubts whether people will be interested in trainers and jockeys in a team. However, if it brings in money and alters very little of the racing programme… And gives racing an input in to the non-racing people’s world… Why not?!

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19724

Can’t see the ‘new big money sponsors’ settling for handicappers, they’d want the G1 horses surely.?

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 252

Ricco
    Participant
    • Total Posts 46

T20 was brought in to satisfy the barely interested fan, who couldn’t cope with the length of Test or even one day match. Now there’s “Snooker Shoot-Out” for the impatient fan who can’t control their ADHD long enough to watch a match over a few hours.

So the thought of something as cancerous as “Snooker Shoot-Out” infecting racing is pretty embarrassing, especially considering races rarely last longer than 7 minutes, or a hell of a lot less if we’re talking flat racing, which we seemingly are? Speculating here, but could it even potentially cause harm to horses if trainers feel forced to run them where they’d otherwise withdraw because of the ground or a touch of lameness?? :unsure:

Of course Gosden and “top trainiers” would want it, they have a glut of handicap quality horses they can throw at the competition and make a load of money from.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24644

Speculating here, but could it even potentially cause harm to horses if trainers feel forced to run them where they’d otherwise withdraw because of the ground or a touch of lameness?? :unsure:

Ye, let’s ban The Derby and Royal Ascot too, just in case; Ricco. ;-)

There are 30 horses to each team, so suspect they’ll have more than one horse entered before the final decs come through (only one from each team to take part).

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24644

Can’t see the ‘new big money sponsors’ settling for handicappers, they’d want the G1 horses surely.?

Whole point of the competition is it’s for handicappers.

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24644

T20 was brought in to satisfy the barely interested fan, who couldn’t cope with the length of Test or even one day match. Now there’s “Snooker Shoot-Out” for the impatient fan who can’t control their ADHD long enough to watch a match over a few hours.

Reason Snooker became popular in the first place was a “Snooker Shoot-Out” competition – Pot Black.

value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19724

Snooker became popular because of pot black….?
    Did dating become popular because of blind date.?
    lorra, lorra laughs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.