The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champions: Full Gallop

Home Forums Horse Racing Champions: Full Gallop

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

The “unmissable” new series about the jumps season starts at nine o’clock tonight on ITV1 and ITVX.

Anybody going to watch it? I will- after the last race at Pontefract is over. Only racing could be so disorganised.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

I’ll stick on record and watch.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Yes, I intend to watch it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

At least they have a good time slot for it.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Maybe an earlier time slot would have been better to appeal to the widest auidence possible unless of course there is content in it that means it needs to be on after the 9pm watershed.

Note: It appears as if the 1st 3 episodes are all available on ITVX right away

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

Yes. Looking forward to it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 740

Racing gets a prime time audience on a Friday night and still people are whining!

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

First 3 are already on ITVx for those who wont be able to view at 9pm or want to get ahead. Watched the first with my wife, non-racing fan. Both enjoyed it. I did find it slightly curious that it was about the King George and they spoke to everyone involved with most of the horses but not Allaho and not The Real Whacker. Not sure if thats editorial or they declined to be involved :unsure:

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

There’s some beautiful moments that sum up the game. I know I’m not spoiling anything for people on here because we know Shishkin unseated and my heart almost broke seeing how gutted Nicky was. Going from that feeling of thinking he’ll win a King George to being race over in the blink of an eye. Some really nice bits with Bryony and Frodon too. Well wortb a watch :good:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

They probably filmed lots of races but the King George was the one that threw up the best story. I mean, it had everything didn’t it. Added to which there was the added heartbreak of knowing Shishkin’s ultimate fate. It was very well edited wasn’t it: reminded me a bit of the excellent Dream Alliance documentary. I’ve got to binge watch it on catchup this week as I can’t get ITVX at home.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13203

Damn, I heard about this too late. I hope I can get it on catchup

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Thought there was too much involvement from the ITV racing team (particularly ED). Spoiled it for me.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

I think they’re probably going for the non-racing audience hence all the explanations about stuff from the Itv mob.

First 3 are on Itvx BigG which is free to register for. You’ll be able to get it on most devices and newish tvs

Astralcharmer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 51

This has been bigged up all week so I was really hoping this would capture a new audience, but I, as a long-standing fan found I was bored after about 10 minutes. I’m sure a fair number felt likewise.

There was no tension or drama and the King George with just 6 runners was hardly likely to set the pulse racing. Yes it was a dramatic finish but even this didn’t come across. The fact Sheehan’s helmet cam was obscured was amateurish. Trying to make out there was a hush of expectation before the race. I ask you.

They should have covered more than one race in an hour. Anyone who watches racing would have seen numerous behind the scenes features when it’s a big meeting and this documentary didn’t show anything I hadn’t seen dozens of times before.

A number of the talking heads from ITV started to grate after just a few minutes. It almost became the Ed Chamberlain show.

To be honest I’ve seen more interesting documentaries on Racing TV that a non racing audience might have found more entertaining than this. I’ll be interested to see the reaction of the Racing industry & press over the coming week. Hopefully a bit of honesty.

In my view it a was a big opportunity missed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

Had to be done to attract the non-racing public, so although I might criticise it from a Racing point of view – I can see why it was done that way.

This episode was a bit like aftertiming for me. Even if I hadn’t known who won I could’ve guessed. Were they all told what to say? Participants were all talking as if the King George was yet to happen. Then – after showing the race – Shark and all were talking about how the race went. Dressed in the same clothes and sitting in the same seats as they were when supposedly before the race.

I also thought they did not make enough of how far behind Hewick was in the King George.

It appeared more to be a “how can we – the channel who have Racing on TV – show Racing in the best light to get more viewers for our sports programme”… Rather than a fly on the wall watch that I was expecting.

Value Is Everything
    LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Hard for those of us that have a better and more in depth knowledge of the sport to quantify and/or comment on whether this tone will have hit the right spot to whet the appetite of any newbies tuning in to want to explore the sport more going forward.

Will be interesting to see what the viewer ratings are not only for the first episode but for future episodes to come – assuming ITV release those details.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13203

Thanks Tin Man, I’ll give it a look :good:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.