The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2014

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 423

Meanwhile, over in Ireland, The Fly rests calmly in his box, having had the perfect preparation again, three runs, three wins, evenly spaced out to bring him to fever pitch for the big day.

Bring it on, just one week today for the Fly to be crowned Champ for the third time :D

THIS!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Nightmare, they are looking at him now and I’ve got to go to work. Dreading coming home and clicking into sporting life or on here later on.
    I’ll be a nervous kitten all day now, not good for the heart this Cheltenham, ante post business. :|

As set backs go, this is next to nothing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Glad to hear it MarkTT, my coffee nearly hit the ceiling this morning.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Dessie Hughes has brought Our Conor on at a steady pace and will have him cherry ripe for the big one on tuesday. Apparently he is flying at home and I expect a huge run from him.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

The improvement between Our Conors two L’town runs was pretty dramatic to my eye. If a similar or larger level of improvement comes again, he will surely go close.

I have a feeling the British trained horses will be playing for minor honours.

Participant
    • Total Posts 296

Captain Cee Bee supplemented for the race presumably to act as pacemaker for MTOY, hopefully he will go fast enough to enable MTOY to settle in first half of race but not too fast to make it too stamina sapping and play into the hands of the fly and TNO

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Anyone thinking the Fly may have lost his speed may wish to think back to Moscow Flyer as an 11YO blitzing his up and coming rivals in the 2m tingle creek and champion chase.
    If good enough, they’re quick enough, which The Fly still is on the evidence so far this season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 85

Im firmly in the our conor corner for this.Hes improved from race to race this season been brought along nicely and should be spot on…I rememember the triumph last year fresh in my mind if he can come back to that kind off form must have a massive chance imo

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Im firmly in the our conor corner for this.Hes improved from race to race this season been brought along nicely and should be spot on…I rememember the triumph last year fresh in my mind if he can come back to that kind off form must have a massive chance imo

What did he beat in the Triumph?
    How many Champion Hurdle winners have not won a race in their build up?
    Still, I see him as a danger to The Fly and stongly fancy the 7/2 Irish 1-2 that Racebets.com are offering.

Participant
    • Total Posts 85

You can only beat whats put in front off you and he spat them out winning by 15 lengths!.I just feel his a young improving horse.I didnt like it wen he ran in a very competitive flat handica.p but hes improved from run to run looked a massive danger to the fly last time.Just hoping he can carry on improving!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

You’ll have to trust me on this one . . . :)

Having watched Melodic Rendezvous races again, my suspicion that what he really wants is a stamina test is even stronger. People have him down as a soft ground horses – I think he might be even better on decent ground. The fastest surface he’s run on in the F Fifth coincided with him pulling a muscle, and that on a track where stamina’s hardly at a premium anyway.

He makes himself look a bit ordinary in the way he travels, always hitting a flat spot and needing serious rousting, nor is he the neatest of jumpers. But he invariably responds and there’s every chance he is still learning after just 8 runs over hurdles.

Just before being pulled out of last year’s festival injured. he was trading at around the same price for The Supreme as MTOY was.

I’m convinced this horse has a very big engine. He could trade in running at triple figures and I will be standing by with a decent bet!

Ricco
    Participant
    • Total Posts 61

The more I think about it, the more baffled and unsure I am about this race, it gives me a head ache. I almost don’t want to bet and have a bias towards a horse, I just want to sit back and enjoy it.

Any horse could win this, I think it’ll either be a battle between HF and OC (which is what I’m leaning towards at the moment) or MTOY and TNO. Jezki and MR can win too, but would have to be at their very very best.

Who knows, fascinating stuff, only the going on the day or how they are in the Parade ring could sway my decision I think. Can’t wait!

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Having watched Melodic Rendezvous races again, my suspicion that what he really wants is a stamina test is even stronger. People have him down as a soft ground horses – I think he might be even better on decent ground. The fastest surface he’s run on in the F Fifth coincided with him pulling a muscle,

and that on a track where stamina’s hardly at a premium anyway

SC, I dare you to take a jog around Gosforth park and then you may wish to Edit this statement. :wink:
    One of the most testing circuits in the North. They run downhill into the far corner of the track then it’s uphill all the way back!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

My Tent Or Yours is perfectly sound after two canters this morning, trainer Nicky Henderson has told the Racing Post

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Having watched Melodic Rendezvous races again, my suspicion that what he really wants is a stamina test is even stronger. People have him down as a soft ground horses – I think he might be even better on decent ground. The fastest surface he’s run on in the F Fifth coincided with him pulling a muscle,

SC, I dare you to take a jog around Gosforth park and then you may wish to Edit this statement. :wink:
    One of the most testing circuits in the North. They run downhill into the far corner of the track then it’s uphill all the way back!

Ha! Yes, I take that back. Never been there – deceptive on TV, but just had a look at Timeform’s course description and you’re spot on. Always looks a fairly sharp track to me on Telly too, which it’s obviously not.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Ha! Yes, I take that back. Never been there – deceptive on TV, but just had a look at Timeform’s course description and you’re spot on. Always looks a fairly sharp track to me on Telly too, which it’s obviously not.

I had always thought the same, the victories of Harchibald and Go Native probably helped cement this presumption!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Always thought it was stiffish. Somewhere between Donny and Cheltenham ( not geographically..)

Positions often change in the final furlong as horses tire after the long, uphill straight.

* The performances of Harchibald here and at Kempton help prove that Carberry was off his rocker trying to accelerate past a Champion Hurdler only 100 yards from the line on the stiffest part of the track at Cheltenham.

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.