The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2014

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1217

As a strong advocate of course form at the festival, I just can’t help but be slightly concerned that MTOY has only had one run in last year’s Supreme but failed to win – on the other hand TNO has had 6 runs and has prevailed 4 times. I certainly wouldn’t be in a rush to back Henderson’s horse at current odds and think Our Conor is a much bigger threat considering how he hacked up in last years Triumph. HF has to be respected but is getting on in age and could yield to younger legs.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

It would make plenty sense on JP’s part if Jezki made the running at a fair lick. He’s far too good for the others to ignore and front-running might well prove his forte. If he fails to see it out, he sets the race up for MTOY if that horse has enough left.

But there’s a danger MTOY will get burned by the pace and leave the race to a proper stayer like TNO, or even Melodic Rendezvous.

Like chess, this, in’t it? :P

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Sounds like UDS is being saved for next year, out to 35 on betfair, looked some tool yesterday. Absolutely tanking away after the last. Would be a bigger danger than Annie P IMO.

Would be a disgrace if UDS doesn’t run, in my opinion. I posted several weeks ago that i feared Mullins might try and think of an excuse not to run him against Hurricane Fly.

A horse who has won three races by a combined total of 96 lengths and he doesn’t run at Cheltenham ?!

Participant
    • Total Posts 167

Sounds like UDS is being saved for next year, out to 35 on betfair, looked some tool yesterday. Absolutely tanking away after the last. Would be a bigger danger than Annie P IMO.

Would be a disgrace if UDS doesn’t run, in my opinion. I posted several weeks ago that i feared Mullins might try and think of an excuse not to run him against Hurricane Fly.

A horse who has won three races by a combined total of 96 lengths and he doesn’t run at Cheltenham ?!

Couldn’t agree more, Mullins is trying to put all the pieces of the jigsaw into place to suit his 2 stalwarts; hurricane fly and quevega. I think he realises that UDS would be a huge threat to HC, in terms of the race being run in a manner that would play to rival horses strengths. He’s also pushing hard to get Annie Power into the 3 mile even though it seems she’d be more suited to the Champion Hurdle also. Real shame…

Felix yonger also being kept away from CF in the Arkle, even though the former has been far more impressive over two miles than the latter. Ruined my ante post book also :evil:

Willie won’t be getting a Xmas card from me this year…

Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

Agree Mark, protecting HF is the most likely reason Mullins will not run UDS. Not only because he has good form, but also the type of horse he is. Front runner who’d be suited by making it a test of stamina. Where as HF has a terrific turn of foot which is not so effective in a truly/strongly run race.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

Couldn’t agree more, Mullins is trying to put all the pieces of the jigsaw into place to suit his 2 stalwarts; hurricane fly and quevega. I think he realises that UDS would be a huge threat to HC, in terms of the race being run in a manner that would play to rival horses strengths. He’s also pushing hard to get Annie Power into the 3 mile even though it seems she’d be more suited to the Champion Hurdle also. Real shame…

Felix yonger also being kept away from CF in the Arkle, even though the former has been far more impressive over two miles than the latter. Ruined my ante post book also :evil:

Willie won’t be getting a Xmas card from me this year…

Everything you speak of is true Pointer, but it is also all allowed for in the prices. It is the chance we punters take when backing ante-post. Unfortunately there are too many options for trainers these days.

Most good 2m horses stay the intermediate distance anyway, so Felix and Champagne could’ve gone for either. With former disappointing last time (albeit on wrong ground) and remembering CF’s top quality hurdles form at 2m – Mullins wants to send his best horse to the Arkle.

Mullins has Hurricane Fly for the Champion and Quevega for the Mares; and only Boston Bob as another possible for the Stayers. So (as Bob ran poorly in the Cleeve) Mullins is likely to want a good chance in the Stayers Hurdle. Although he’s not going to say so yet, because if something happens to either HF or Q there could yet be a change of target.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

If this race has a muddling pace then i think MTOY or Our Conor does Hurricane Fly for pace. If it’s a proper test then i think TNO outstays him ( assuming Un De Sceaux doesn’t make all )

I backed the Fly on the day last year after deciding that conditions and likely tempo of the race would suit him. This year….i think third might be his best hope. Ceteris paribus and all that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 85

Really struggling to pin my colours down on the champion hurdle winner this year.i feel MTOY has the cruising speed and is a very good horse then think back to him getting outbattlled up the hill in the supreme last year anno hes a year older.I just feel the fly will struggle to defend his crown this year…Im thinking maybe our coner could be the one.Has im
    proved from race to race and ive still got that triumph sucsess fresh in my memory!Gosh he looked good that day!

• Total Posts 2440

I think it will be either The New One or Our Conor who will win this year. I do think The New One hasn’t been talked about as much as the other market principles, but I think he is one that NTD will be quietly confident about.

The New One to win, Our Conor second, Hurricane Fly third (based on the assumption that Annie Power doesn’t run :) ).

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Forever on the value hunt, Melodic Rendezvous makes strong appeal. Win onlys can have 32 on Betfair and EW folks, 25s with Hills.

Best value in the race by far imo, with all the 14s Jezki long gone

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Geraghty on Jezki i expect.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Looks like Good To Soft ground is likely for the opening day. Ptit Zig will be withdrawn. Maybe Melodic Rendezvous although i think connections will take their chance.
    Could be a seven runner race so there’s no excuse for Mullins to mention concerns about a hustle and bustle contest being one year too early for Un De Sceaux – he’s a front runner and won’t have any other horse contesting the lead as they’re all trackers or hold up horses

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

MTOY’s ‘expected’ to run.
    I don’t like that word expected…… :(

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

MTOY’s ‘expected’ to run.
    I don’t like that word expected…… :(

He forgot to qualify that with 2015 :lol:

The Henderson/McManus combination does not have a great deal of luck when it comes to Champion Hurdle preparations. (Although you could argue the opposite re Binocular :))

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Nightmare, they are looking at him now and I’ve got to go to work. Dreading coming home and clicking into sporting life or on here later on.
    I’ll be a nervous kitten all day now, not good for the heart this Cheltenham, ante post business. :|

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 423

Tent still on track for festival despite wound

"My Tent Or Yours has a little puncture wound in his near-fore sole," Henderson said. "We are looking at it as we speak and are pretty confident it won’t affect his participation.

"We are designing a shoe to cover it but also have the facility to swim him if necessary. Any other day, with any other horse, this would not be significant."

Henderson added: "Nobody can guarantee anything but I am seriously hopeful everything will be all right."

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Meanwhile, over in Ireland, The Fly rests calmly in his box, having had the perfect preparation again, three runs, three wins, evenly spaced out to bring him to fever pitch for the big day.

Bring it on, just one week today for the Fly to be crowned Champ for the third time :D

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.