The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2014

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

A day rarely goes by without someone banging on about this being a vintage race. Why? Competitive maybe, but vintage? To me vintage would imply some sort of throwback to the great races 70’s or a clash between a Hurricane Fly and Istabraq.

Surely it is only a vintage renewal if you believe Champagne Fever is a crack two-mile hurdler. If he is then Mullins has clearly missed a trick. As far as I could see there were no excuses for the vanquished in last year’s Supreme. The New One has limited form at two miles and on the evidence of Kempton there is little between him and My Tent Or Yours. Hurricane Fly has an impressive string of wins but it would be hard to get that excited about the actual form of his previous Champion Hurdles. It is very unlikely that he is still improving yet he was comfortably too good for Jezki and Our Conor. Our Conor looked a brilliant prospect in last season’s Triumph but for whatever reason he didn’t look the same horse at Leopardstown. Annie Power is not certain to go and is very much the hype horse. At present there isn’t enough substance in her form to suggest she is value to win either a Champion or World Hurdle. Her best chance of winning a Festival race would clearly be the Mares Hurdle but it is very unlikely they are going to let her beat Quevega.

I have taken a chance with Un De Sceaux on the basis the top end of the market is not quite as strong as is being constantly suggested. Clearly it is complete guesswork as to how good he really is but to a certain extent that is factored into the price. The mere fact that he looks like being the only front runner may in itself give him a significant advantage.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Stilvi, fair points on HF dominating last time, but I think some context is needed with this horse. He’s proved unbeatable at Leopardstown, where he invariably gets his ground too. He’s a fine horse and deserves plenty plaudits.

But it’s a bit like Bobs Worth and Cheltenham: some decried BW’s latest win in Ireland, claiming it was stone below Gold Cup winning form. But when you look at it in the context of 5 from 5 at Cheltenham and 3 Festival wins, it changes the perspective.

As for Un De Sceaux, I suspect he might not be all that some believe. To win a Champion Hurdle from the front, especially for one of his experience, you need to be the type of outstanding hurdle-jumper Make a Stand was – taking a couple of lengths out of everything else at each hurdle. If UDS gets very deep ground, he might have a chance, but that would be HF’s ground too.

Having said that, Mullins must think he’s a superstar to even consider the CH for one of his experience. I just feel Cheltenham and decent ground will expose him.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

As for Un De Sceaux, I suspect he might not be all that some believe. To win a Champion Hurdle from the front, especially for one of his experience, you need to be the type of outstanding hurdle-jumper Make a Stand was – taking a couple of lengths out of everything else at each hurdle. If UDS gets very deep ground, he might have a chance, but that would be HF’s ground too.

The ground might be a negative but we know the first day will be given as no quicker than good to soft. I actually think his jumping could well be a positive. He certainly looks as if he has a good deal more scope than many of the field, if not all of them. Someone is going to have to do the donkey work for the field and I am not sure who that is likely to be. I would be more concerned about the jumping of the chasers, none of them and that includes Hurricane Fly are guaranteed mistake free. Clearly if he is to win pace judgement will be vital.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Annie Power entered over two miles at Doncaster on Saturday. Un De Sceaux weak on Betfair.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Jeez, 2 miles at Donny hardly a stamina test unless it’s very deep. Might be tempted to lay her :)

Gdc1
    • Total Posts 561

With Captain Cee Bee finishing so close to Hurricane Fly I think Ricci Rich will deffo stick to his guns and go for gold!! What a choice for Ruby but plenty will be in the queue for Annie or The Fly!! AP will have to select MTOY you’d think, great race in prospect and probably the race of the festival for sure :-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

What a legend The Hurricane is, throw what they like at him, he won’t be beaten. 3/1nrnb is great value in my book. The rest are merely pretenders to the throne!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

AP too many mistakes on Jezki today. No doubt will ride MTOY and probably Geraghty on the Harrington horse.

Good again from the Fly but i think there’s a few potential improvers come March

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Odd tactics on Jezki, whoever decided them. He’s a guaranteed stayer who’s dropped out despite racing keenly all the way to the 3rd last, expending energy and having 6 lengths to make up on the principals, as well as the restraint affecting his hurdling technique.

Most seem to have written him off. He’s out to 10s, and
    I’m beginning to doubt my own sanity now with this horse, as I remain convinced he’ll play a major part in the CH!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Odd tactics on Jezki, whoever decided them. He’s a guaranteed stayer who’s dropped out despite racing keenly all the way to the 3rd last, expending energy and having 6 lengths to make up on the principals, as well as the restraint affecting his hurdling technique.

Most seem to have written him off. He’s out to 10s, and
    I’m beginning to doubt my own sanity now with this horse, as I remain convinced he’ll play a major part in the CH!

I agree. I think BG will give him a better ride.

It’s a hot race though

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I just had my max at 14s with PP NRNB…doubtless they’ll haul me away in a straitjacket!

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

Racebets are going 7/2 an Irish 1-2 in the Champion. This rates as very decent value IMO and IF Annie P is chucked into the mix along with UDS the odds will be exceptional value.

This is a very good website with lots of Cheltenham specials that are worth a look. Shame it’s run by the Germans, but hey, the winnings will be twice as sweet :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 423

Un de Sceaux running against Melodic Rend on Saturday – bookies go 4/7 for Mullins horse.

This will be Un de Sceaux first test of the year and very much looking forward to it.

The Fly for me at this stage, love his battling qualities. My antepost slips on Jezki look doomed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Is Un De Sceaux going to run? I thought the Red Mills was his next intended port of call. 15/8 about Melodic Rendezvous would look huge if UDS doesn’t run.

Participant
    • Total Posts 423

Is Un De Sceaux going to run? I thought the Red Mills was his next intended port of call. 15/8 about Melodic Rendezvous would look huge if UDS doesn’t run.

heres the article – http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd

Un De Sceaux odds-on
    for Champion prep

By James Burn 11:09AM 29 JAN 2014

UN DE SCEAUX, as short as 10-1 to win the Stan James Champion Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival, is odds-on to stretch his unbeaten run to seven at Sandown on Saturday.

Trained by Willie Mullins and well regarded by jockey Ruby Walsh, Un De Sceaux has won his two starts this term by 53 and 29 lengths.

RELATED LINKS

Contenders Hurdle entries
    Champion Hurdle betting
    He is an intriguing contender for the Champion Hurdle and is in line to run in Sandown’s Betfred Double Delight Contenders Hurdle, which Paddy Power have made him favourite for.

They go 4-7 with Melodic Rendezvous, a recent winner at Grade 2 level in Haydock’s Champion Hurdle Trial, next at 15-8.

"Up until now Un De Sceaux has been able to bowl along and his rivals haven’t been good enough to trouble him," said Paddy Power.

"This is his acid test as it might just be a different story with Melodic Rendezvous in opposition."

The Listed race was won by Binocular in 2010 before he went on to triumph in that year’s Champion Hurdle. It is not due to be broadcast on Channel 4, but that could change if Mullins declares the relentless galloper.

Un De Sceaux, however, might not be able to run at Sandown if rain continues to fall. The track has put in place plans for an all-chase card, although clerk of the course Andrew Cooper has said that is "purely a contingency".

Contenders Hurdle
    Paddy Power: 4-7 Un De Sceaux, 15-8 Melodic Rendezvous, 9 Whisper, 10 Act Of Kalanisi, 16 First Avenue, 33 Fergall, 50 Sonoran Sands, 100 House Party, 200 Clonusker

stones89
    • Total Posts 14

Agree that 15/8 could look massive. Personally even if UDS does turn up, i’d rather be on the proven Group 2 winner at the prices.

Don’t get me wrong, the Mullins horse could be anything and has won his races in very good fashion; but do we know what he is like if something really laid it up to him?

Could be exceptional, but until he proves that in decent company, not one to be getting serious with at 4/7 on Saturday for me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Also depends on travelling conditions.

I remember being thrilled to hear about Dunguib coming over early and kipping in a local stable prior to the festival a few years ago when he trounced the field in the bumper.

Looked like one of the best bets of the century. A machine without obstacles to worry about.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.