The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2012

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 323 total)
  • Author
    elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

kasparov
    Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:49 pm
    By the way, I notice Hurricane Fly’s Topspeed speed rating is at 153, only the fourth highest in the field. I don’t understand this as I thought he has won his recent races in very good times.

aye, might be aftertiming but rock on ruby was topspeeds tip for the race as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32995

Great to see Noel Fehily ride a big one! One of, if not the most under rated jockey.

Ruby probably stayed too far back. But he’s probably (wrongly) judging his position by the official going. AP did the same in the first. For sure Hurricane would’ve been closer had he been nearer the pace, but that’s not what The Fly does.

Overturn is a stayer (at the trip) that jumps fluently and goes really well on good ground and McCain yard having a brilliant first day.

Rock On Ruby looked a stayer last year, struggled for pace even in the Neptune. Amazed he showed enough speed to win the Fielden. No doubt Nicholls changed plans when seeing that speed at Newbury. And also to be second (would’ve won but for last fence blunder) at the sharp Kempton Park. Always going to improve with a stiff 2 miles and a fast pace (increased test).

Value Is Everything
    theplasticpaddy
    • Total Posts 57

Paul Nicholls in his stable tour at the start of the season, speaking of Rock On Ruby:

“My plan is to give him a run over hurdles then go for the Ascot hurdle which Silviniaco Conti won last year over two and a half miles. That’s a grade two and if he’s competitive at that level he’ll stay over hurdles, if not then it’ll be novice chasing.”

We obviously weren’t the only ones that didn’t know!

He doesn’t train the horse Richard Barber does.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I thought HF lost the race cause of Walsh myself, think the run of Binocular proves it as to me it seemed it was the blind leading the blind, with McCoy following Walsh all race only both to notice the front two werent for slowing down, although to be fair the winner did seem to win going away in the end, but Walsh and McCoy made a rare mistakes for me

• Total Posts 2440

A very good performance from Rock On Ruby and a very good ride from Noel Fehily.

I just want to say what a very tough, genuine and gutsy horse Overturn is. You can’t help but admire the horse, always seems to run his race, and has shown extreme versatility, and put in another great performance.

Well done to Rock On Ruby.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

It was a stronger renewal than last year and Hurricane Fly is not as good as he was last year. To have earmarked the horse to run on 2 occasions and then him fail to make the racecourse told a tale in itself. He may still be the best 2 mile hurdler but today he looked somewhat lack-lustre as well as being given an injudicious ride.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Whats all this that the winner isn’t actually trained by Nicholls? Can anyone elaborate?

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

See Noel Fehily was quoted that Rock On Ruby tried to pull himself up when hitting the front, so I guess that was pretty impressive.

made up for Noel Fehily too after his bad luck not making it last two festivals, he deserved that, rode Walsh and McCoy to sleep.

• Total Posts 2440

Whats all this that the winner isn’t actually trained by Nicholls? Can anyone elaborate?

Isn’t the horse trained on Paul Nicholls’ satellite yard?

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Don’t know buddy – thats why i asked!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32995

I thought if Ruby was on Ruby last year would’ve won the Neptune too. May be that’s pocket talk. But certainly lost a lot of ground in the dieing strides having looked sure to win for Jacob. Can understand Fehily saying Ruby idled.

Value Is Everything
    RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

So Davy Russell now has to dine John McCririck, hopefully Davy Russell will invite another guest, Donald McCain and hopefully he buys the fat eejit some humble pie after his disgraceful comments regarding McCain entering Overturn in the Champion Hurdle on Talksport this morning. Think he called McCain a disgrace.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

“My plan is to give him a run over hurdles then go for the Ascot hurdle which Silviniaco Conti won last year over two and a half miles. That’s a grade two and if he’s competitive at that level he’ll stay over hurdles, if not then it’ll be novice chasing.”

We obviously weren’t the only ones that didn’t know!

Thats then but at Sandown preview saturday he was very very positive about ROR, rating his chance better than Zarkandars…. a least. I didnt follow it up annoyingly :roll:

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Definitely the most interesting result of the meeting so far, and a painful one for many punters.

To me, he just seemed outpaced, as if he has lost some speed and will be better seen over 2m 4f.

No doubt he’ll mop up other 2m grade 1’s, but at this level he doe now seem exposed. I’m not convinced softer ground would have made the difference and he didn’t run like a horse that wasn’t 100% on the day IMHO. I certainly wouldn’t blame Ruby Walsh, he gave it a good ride tracking the pace – just could not quicken as he expected.

Overturn an absolute superstar in his own right. If I were to own a horse he’d be the one, so much pleasure under both codes and he’s all guts. The rapidity and fidelity of his hurdling was superb.

Rock on Ruby a good winner – wonder if he can retain? Hmmmm.

Zip

• Total Posts 1217

To be honest I was amazed that Overturn was available at 28/1 earlier in the day, he was always going to lead and had proven stamina to be there at the end, was probably the each way bet of the day in hindsight.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

great race and interesting to compare the time of this year to last year. it may well be Hurricane has a stamina doubt and it was fully exploited by Overturn’s heroic pace making and ROR’s abundant stamina reserves.

Whilst Hurricane Fly remains a very decent animal, I think the RUK pundits suggestion last night that the form of Hurricane’s CH victory could be suspect has been born out this afternoon.

I also found it a bit annoying in recent weeks how Hurricane Fly has been talked up in some quarters as being one of the best hurdlers of all time. That annoying bookies rep from Ireland (the girl with the turned up nose) was really annoying when she described HF as the best hurdler Ireland has produced in decades, as if Istabraq never existed. It takes exceptional horses to win two or three championship races in a row at Cheltenham (I am talking GC, CH and QM) and often people are too hasty in crowning horses as "great" before they have actually proved it.

theplasticpaddy
    • Total Posts 57

I don’t think HF getting himself into a lather before the race should be discounted either. Why he did I do not know, he is a Montjeu which might be part of the reason but it could be he was also feeling something.

Anyway, pleased that i backed R on R to win in the end and had the courage of my conviction that HF hurt himself the last day. Probably not the case but it will do for me.

On Nicholls training the horse, the Seaborough yard would be 20 miles from Ditcheat I would think. I don’t know how much time PN would spend there but as far as I am concerned, the horse is trained by Richard Barber in all but name and I am absolutely delighted for him and his excellent team. The same applies to King of the Night in the World Hurdle, shouldn’t have a chance but the Ditcheat horses have not set the world on fire so far!?! Alfie Sherrin winning today would have made a few Somerset horse people smile as well with the irony of it all. :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 323 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.