The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

CAUTION ADVISED

Home Forums Betting Chat – Bets & Tips CAUTION ADVISED

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 276 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Hi Steve. I too am keen on MC tonight, soft ground seems to suit the horse and can use his experience to his advantage. I like to refer to stable tour quotes occasionally for certain trainers, so here’s Rod Millman’s comment re MC:

"He probably ran above expectations in the Greenham and we are not sure where he goes yet. He has come out of the race very well. We always thought he was a very nice horse and he proved that at Newbury."

It’s worth noting that Millman had a winner with Graphene earlier today, who also had a positive write up, so hopefully MC can give him a double.

Hope you had a few quid on Rich, he ran out a ready winner there with Ryan Moore cutting the corners nicely.

I don’t read as many of the stable tour quotes these days, in fact I rarely buy the racing papers now. As you point out, it’s probably not worth reading them for some trainers anyway, with a lot of them able to talk without actually saying anything.

Good luck if punting tomorrow and the weekend.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Master Carpenter has arguably the best piece of form with his third place in the Greenham. Kingman and Night Of Thunder are the proverbial "different gravy" to those in opposition today and although Master Carpenter hasn’t won as often as one would have hoped I think today’s trip and going combination might be his ideal scenario. The ground was faster last time when he ran behind Pinzolo but he ran a decent race in defeat. In what could be last chance saloon I am going in at 7/2 with Ryan Moore an encouraging sight on board this evening.

8.20 Sandown Master Carpenter 6pts 7/2 (widely available)

Ride of the century there from Ryan Moore Steve,different class to that lot and touched 9/2 in running,Well done and a good write-up to boot!

Thanks Gord, I loved the way Ryan Moore cut the corners there and Master Carpenter came right away from them in the end. A wee boost for Western Hymn who beat tonight’s winner into third without too much fuss at Sandown.

I’ll probably be looking to Newmarket for a bet tomorrow so will see what the form looks like there.

Have a good weekend.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

No time to compose full write up today so we’ll keep it brief.

2.30 Newmarket Perfect Alchemy 2pts 7/1

3.05 Newmarket Wonderstruck 2pts 9/4

4.15 Newmarket Cloudscape 4pts 5/2

4.50 Newmarket Argot 2pts 7/2

A couple of previous selections given a chance to prove themselves again and Gosdens Cloudscape would be well short if we forgive his last effort on fast ground. The 2.5 million horse Hydrogen is opposed on his belated debut.

Happy punting!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Short on time again so just the selections:-

3.35 Newmarket Mighty Yar 3pts 10/3 (Bet Victor)

4.40 Newmarket Glorious Empire 2pts 13/2

2.05 Haydock Cubanita 2pts 7/2

2.20 York Clever Cookie 2pts 4/1

French Derby Prince Gibraltar 8pts 15/8 (Sky Bet)

Be lucky people!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I don’t take much notice of times to be honest which is likely one of the reasons I struggle a bit with the flat. War Envoy will probably win but if I was betting I’d be opening a Racebets account. The ground throws a spanner in the works too. Nice to see the first Rip Van Winkle colt hit the race course in the shape of Dick Whittington.[/quote

The O’Brien pair The Great War and War Envoy are set to clash at Naas on Monday. The ground is soft at the moment and you would think that will suit War Envoy better, as he has won on going with a little give whereas his stable companion has only run on a faster surface. The Great War has been running at 5f and now steps up to 6f but War Envoy has already won at the trip.

If they both stand their ground it will be interesting to see which one Joseph chooses to ride. No doubt this race will reshape the Coventry market, where I have chosen Adaay against the O’Brien pair.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

No time to compose full write up today so we’ll keep it brief.

2.30 Newmarket Perfect Alchemy 2pts 7/1

3.05 Newmarket Wonderstruck 2pts 9/4

4.15 Newmarket Cloudscape 4pts 5/2

4.50 Newmarket Argot 2pts 7/2

A couple of previous selections given a chance to prove themselves again and Gosdens Cloudscape would be well short if we forgive his last effort on fast ground. The 2.5 million horse Hydrogen is opposed on his belated debut.

Happy punting!

A couple of poor efforts, a nice winner and a second from Cloudscape who couldn’t quite concede the weight to Stoute’s horse.

Hydrogen

had a little too much

Lead

in his legs and was gasping for

Oxygen

near the finish. It looks like Peter Chapple-Hyam will have to

Iron

out a few problems and get the horse to a stage where he is in his

element

and ready to go for

Gold

:roll:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Well done to The Grey Gatsby but quite what Mosse was doing on Prince Gibraltar is a mystery to me. Even Dancing Brave could not have made up the ground needed there.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

4.25 Ripon Tuesday Election Night 8pts win 5/2 (Bet Victor)

I will be sorely disappointed if Tim Easterby’s filly cannot defy top weight in this handicap against some modest looking opposition.

With only three runs under her belt there should be more to come and she faces easier foes than last time. There were horses rated in the 80’s in the field at Hamilton last time in a class 4 handicap and she is taking on horses rated in the 60’s this time in a class 5 race. Of course the handicap is there to negate that in theory but I’d rather have a bit of class on my side. The in-form David O’Meara saddles Madagascar Moll and she looks the most likely danger but is a bit more exposed.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Looking at Royal Ascot we see two O’Brien colts heading the betting for the Coventry. The Great War and War Envoy have had different profiles with the former looking a real speed merchant plying his trade at 5F. I wonder of 6F will be his game though and will the colts take each other on?

At the current odds William Haggas’s Adaay takes the eye. He recently won the Newbury race Canford Cliffs took before going on to victory in the Coventry. A decent looking prospect who cost 240,000 you would think he will improve a good bit and he finished his race to good effect last time.

I have not seen many likely types so far this year and although Mind Of Madness has had good reports the Haggas horse makes appeal at the best price of 12/1 with him being as low as 7/1 elsewhere. The 4th horse at Newbury won today at Windsor and that never hurts.

Coventry Stakes Adaay 2pts 12/1 (Paddy Power)

Well, War Envoy fluffed his lines when beaten at 8/15 yesterday and he has left his stable companion at around about 3/1 clear favourite for the Coventry.

We get a rare chance to see the joint 2nd favs for that race clash at Yarmouth this evening when Mind Of Madness and Adaay clash in the opener. Mind Of Madness was the more impressive of the two "one run, one win" colts but Adaay has won over the trip and was a bit green last time.

Early betting had Mind Of Madness favourite and Timeform have tipped him as the one to be on. However, money this morning has been for the Haggas colt and he’s generally favourite now.

William Haggas said the Coventry is the aim for his colt and that he wanted to get another run into him to give him more experience before Royal Ascot.

It should be an interesting race and I obviously hope Adaay can emerge as winner and go to the Coventry 2 for 2 and a good bit less than the 12/1 advised price.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

A win for Adaay with Mind Of Madness 3/4 length back in second and more than three lengths to the third.

Time might prove this was a win from a smart second horse and I am looking to Royal Ascot hoping Adaay will be cherry ripe on the day. He’s generally 6/1 now, so part 1 has been achieved. Sadly part 2 is usually much harder to pull off!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

Haggas was saying the other night that the horse was green on debut and they wanted this run today to give him that extra experience. I’m waiting to see what Hannon lines up for the Coventry as I think they were a little surprised that Kool Kompany won and I don’t think he will be the main Hannon horse, either that or Hughes is really fixated on going for the Jockey’s Championship again missing that ride and Spirit of Xian for the evening rides at Windsor.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I don’t think the Coventry market has got off the ground. Whenever Aidan O’Brien has referred to The Great War he can’t mention speed enough times so you would assume he is heading for the Norfolk. It is difficult to make any comparison with today’s race but I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss Kool Kompany. I don’t know why Hughes didn’t ride but I also don’t know anything that Hannon has which is obviously better. Yesterday he was drawn out wide and raced much too freely. Not so sure the softer surface suited either and he could easily be one of those that does just enough. Three from three he has at least an each-way chance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

I was quite taken by the Queens horse Peacock at Newmarket at the weekend a Paco Boy colt that might need further but you would expect the Coventry to be run at a ferocious pace anyway.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I don’t think the Coventry market has got off the ground. Whenever Aidan O’Brien has referred to The Great War he can’t mention speed enough times so you would assume he is heading for the Norfolk. It is difficult to make any comparison with today’s race but I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss Kool Kompany. I don’t know why Hughes didn’t ride but I also don’t know anything that Hannon has which is obviously better. Yesterday he was drawn out wide and raced much too freely. Not so sure the softer surface suited either and he could easily be one of those that does just enough. Three from three he has at least an each-way chance.

I haven’t seen much that I thought of as an obvious Coventry horse this season, which was part of the reason I backed the Haggas colt.

It’s only two weeks to the race now, so time is running out for getting a newcomer to a suitable starting race and still leave a decent gap to Royal Ascot.

As you say, the Hannon horse has done nothing wrong and would be worthy of consideration.

I saw the interview with Willie Haggas regarding Adaay today and while he wasn’t bullish, he came across as quietly confident to me and those who took 13/8 had few anxious moments. Looking at the race again, if anything Mind Of Madness looked to travel slightly better and Paul Hanagan was more vigorous with his mount first. However, Adaay got on top and was probably about a length and a half up inside the last furlong before being eased slightly and the winning margin was halved in the last few strides.

You would be reasonably confident Adaay would confirm the form in the Coventry, particularly as they seem keen to get him more cover in his races. The bigger field should help with that and the style of his wins seems to suggest he could sit behind a good pace and come through. The big question is if he’s good enough.

No doubt O’Brien will run one shortly that wins 10 lengths on the bit and goes Evs fav for Ascot!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I’ll get this thread tidied up and up to date figures shortly.

Obviously Taghrooda is a bigger price now that the form has bombed and a bigger field than anticipated has assembled. Another spanner was thrown into the works via the Irish 1000G winner but that’s racing.

Two to go with on the supporting card for me are:-

Thistle Bird, who won the same race last year and that is a big positive being effective at Epsom. The Charlton stable are not red hot and this filly has thrown in the odd disappointment but she would win this if near her best and 3/1 is OK odds for me. Just The Judge tailed off after her Irish Guineas win last season and was disappointing on her re-appearance this year. The stable haven’t been going great guns and regular readers will know that Charlie Hills doesn’t get Christmas cards from me (nor I from him). There are other possibilities in Odeliz and Mango Diva but I like horses for courses when it’s somewhere quirky like Epsom so 4pts on Thistle Bird.

Later on the ex Coventry potential "dodgepot" Parbold (perhaps Parboiled in terms of his finishing power) makes a quick reappearance after putting Nathan Hughes out on the street via the lost rent money. Normally you would be wary of following these types over the financial cliff but for a change the dodgepot is not the hotpot in the betting. David O’Meara, who is in good form, saddles That Is The Spirit and this impressive looking handicap winner is a shade of odds on for this Listed race. He’s two for two and on the upgrade but stepping up in class he is a bit skinny in the betting for me. The ground could dry out more and he’s won on the soft both times. This is also a good bit smaller field tomorrow. Parbold on the other hand steps back up to 7f and sports a hood for the first time tomorrow. Add in Ryan Moore on board for the first time and the quirky location of Epsom and you have enough encouragement to go with 3/1 and take a chance that the fav Isn’t the automatic "good thing" some are saying he is. 4pts on Parbold as well.

1.35 Epsom Thistle Bird 4pts 3/1 (Lads)

4.45 Epsom Parbold 4pts 3/1

Best of luck!

samj89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 708

I’m hoping melody of love throws a big surprise stepping up in trip for new trainer,
    priced too big imo!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

This does look a more realistic chance for Parbold now back up to 7f. I’m going to resist a bet though as I would rather set light to a bomb in my own backyard then back anything from last years Coventry.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/war/exploding-bomb.gif

good luck though mate, especially with Taghooraga all however you spell it. :)

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 276 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.