The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Catterick’s bad planning…

Home Forums Horse Racing Catterick’s bad planning…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    • Total Posts 205

Catterick Wednesday 22nd July…

What a badly planned meeting…

Four races at 5f , two at 7f and at the very end we get a race of 1m 3f.

i certainly would not have paid my way into Carrerick yesterday.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

Each to their own. Deal with it!

I complained about an all two-year-old card at Newmarket a year or two back. Others put forward their opinion that they quite welcomed it. I took their point and stepped back. On the other hand I quite enjoyed Carlisle’s steeplechase only cards last season….., each to their own.

Rob

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Methinks had Mr Tom been present at the Last Supper, he would have bemoaned the lack of a wine list.

An overnight entry of 74 runners (of which 67 ultimately took part) for a seven-race card hardly suggests the provision of so many short races at Catterick was either injudicious or dismally patronised.

Nor, for that matter, does the total of 61 who turned out for the six-race Worcester equivalent (NB would have been up to 73 but for going-related defections), despite the oddity of five hurdles and only one steeplechase.

Both meetings worked as both spectacles and as attractors of respectable numbers of participants. Job done. Move on.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

To correct a point Tom’s original post, there were only two 5f races. There were two at 6 furlongs(5f 212yds) and two at 7 furlongs. Add in the 1m 4f race and to take the ‘cup 2/3rds full’ angle, only the 1m 2f and 1m 7f stats were not used on the day.

In addition the cards at Leicester and Lingfield used only 4 different distances.

If Tom doesn’t like this card I’d advise him not to go to the U.S. The meeting I saw at Laurel Park had 9 races with a longest distance of 1m 1/2f.

I bet he would have hated Alexandra Park! 5f, 1m 160yds and 1m 5f starts only.

Rob

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Methinks had Mr Tom been present at the Last Supper, he would have bemoaned the lack of a wine list.

To be fair, the house red wasn’t the ideal accompaniment to the bread….

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

:mrgreen:

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

To be fair, the house red wasn’t the ideal accompaniment to the bread….

But a bottle of Bulls Blood may have been appropriate (for the benefit of younger readers Bulls Blood was a terrible, I think Hungarian, wine that used to be popular before we became a nation of serious wine drinkers)

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

Takling of which, there was a smell of red wine in the living room when I got up this morning. Suspect a bottle may be leaking. Have instructed the good wife to investigate.

On you go, chaps!

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Cant be as bad as a Worcester meeting which had 5 races over 2m and 1 race over 2m7f.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

:mrgreen:

gc

Interesting point to note that communion wine is always red (whether wine in Anglican circles or the dreadful Ribena in the non-conformists) but nowhere does it actually say that the wine was red. Says wine. Could easily have been the Middle Eastern equivalent of a white Burgundy.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

But a bottle of Bulls Blood may have been appropriate (for the benefit of younger readers Bulls Blood was a terrible, I think Hungarian, wine that used to be popular before we became a nation of serious wine drinkers)

I’d happily get stuck into a decent bottle of Bull’s Blood (Egri Bikaver to the initiated). It can actually be pretty good.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

As a student, I was sick after drinking a bottle of Bull’s Blood at a party in Crouch Hill or Crouch End.

I can clearly recall it oozing through the gaps between the bare floorboards.

Did it in front of a girl I was trying to impress. No wonder I’ve never been married.

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

When betting I never looked at a race under a mile, in fact usually stuck to races of 1m 2f – 1m 4f.

The draw, getting out of the stalls and not dwelling a fraction of a second were part of the reason I kept clear of such races. They are little more than a lottery.

Also a jockey does not get a real chance to show off his talent in a short dash.

I did well with my betting, I would not have done so well if I had strayed into the dash-for-the-line races.

I know quite well four semi-professional gamblers and they seldom go near a sprint. Two, only when they get a good word of a horse from a particular stable.

Of course everyone to his own but I have personally not known anyone who has done well from sprint races.

On the flat I soon found that for me the most profitable was hurdles over chases, so I never bet on chasers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.