The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cartmel – Parking

Home Forums Horse Racing Cartmel – Parking

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chutney dave
    • Total Posts 8

Evening all,

Toying with the idea of going to Cartmel for the first time at the end of the month – anyone give me any ideas regarding parking? Looks a bit of a nightmare for course parking, anyone know anywhere else locally that might be a bit better for a quick-ish getaway after the last?

Thanks in advance.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

That reminds me.

Graysons!!!!??????

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

There is nowhere locally that would be a decent alternative.

Parking looks bad on paper but having been to Catmel many times I have never had any serious problems leaving the course, even on busy days.

Exit routes are well signposted and with years of practice work very well.

The key trick it to follow the yellow signs and don’t rely on Sat nav or what you think are rat runs.

Anyway even if the worse happens it is a beautiful place to get stuck.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Thinking about doing it myself, Does anyone know how reliable the shuttle bus is for after racing for the trains to Lancaster and Preston?

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

The shuttle bus to and from Cark is fine and leaves about half an hour after racing.

So you should make the train ok.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

There is nowhere locally that would be a decent alternative.

Parking looks bad on paper but having been to Cartmel many times I have never had any serious problems leaving the course, even on busy days.

Exit routes are well signposted and with years of practice work very well.

The key trick it to follow the yellow signs and don’t rely on Sat nav or what you think are rat runs.

Anyway even if the worse happens it is a beautiful place to get stuck.

What Paul says, basically.The yellow signs are your friends there, and despite the purportedly remote part of the world in which the course resides, it’s not even close to the top of the league in terms of courses that are slow to get away from.

The only other salient point to make about parking is that if you want to secure yourself infield parking, be that in the top loop of the course (behind the grandstand and near the parade ring) or the bottom (next to the funfair), don’t even think about arriving fewer than three hours before the first race starts. "Coveted" doesn’t begin to describe it!

Cute story: Mum and Dad Column stopped off for a day trip in Cartmel last week after a few days in Glasgow. After parking up in the tiny pay and display just off the village square, one said to the other, "They must do well to get 15,000 racegoers into this car park!". Bless them.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

That reminds me.

Graysons!!!!??????

You hollered, m’Lord?

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.