The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Carlisle hurdles

Home Forums Horse Racing Carlisle hurdles

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5957

Just catching up with the replays and I note that Carlisle are using the flat track for the hurdle races. Does anyone know the official reason?

Rob

peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1436

Jockeys were complaining that the ground on the new hurdles course hasn’t settled yet and is a bit loose underfoot, so they’re giving it a bit more time to settle.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5957

Thanks Peter

I guessed it was condition of the course, but ncie to confirm it. THe gronud had looked a bit loose particularly on the far sdie. Pity for Carlisle as they had given it some extra time to settle. Lucky though that they have the flat course as a back up.

From a form analysis point of view it’s worth noting that the flat track is a good deal stiffer than the new hurdles track. As far as I can see the Racing Post don’t seem to have noted the change of track in the results section.

Rob

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

Great to see in the Racing Post today that Carlisle hasn’t lost a single meeting during this calendar year.
    Carlisle nearly always loses quite a few meetings to the weather, often because of waterlogging or snow and frost. It seems particularly vulnerable to bad weather.
    Last year’s heavy snow caused havoc to a lot of courses. Over the years, Carlisle and Sedgefield have been particularly badly hit by abandonments. I used to keep a record of abandoned meetings many years ago and Sedgefield was nearly always top, with Carlisle not far behind.
    Let’s hope Carlisle manages to get through the year intact by being able to stage its sole December meeting, a Sunday fixture on December 18.
    It’s an enterprising little course, Carlisle. I have been there only once, in the days when there was no top to the main grandstand. I always look forward to seeing the course on Channel 4 on Easter Saturday once a year.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

Great to see that Carlisle has beaten the weather and been given the go-ahead after a second inspection. It means that the course has achieved a rare distinction in not losing any meetings to the weather this year, as mentioned above.
    Ironic too that this meeting has become an all-hurdles card after the steeplechases were abandoned.
    It must be a long time since Carlisle has got through a year without losing any meetings.
    Shame I haven’t got Racing UK. Have got the videos of the last two days at Ascot on At The Races to watch while my girlfriend works. It’s a hard life (well, I have been out to do the shopping this morning….)
    I do remember one season when Sedgefield, which is also very prone to losing meetings to the weather, went through without having any abandonments but I don’t remember it happening before or since.
    Hexham has also been lucky so far this season, including recently in beating the snow. Can it last? Doubt it.

Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

CP,

A big thumbs up for Carlisle from me. A cracking wee course, I had the pleasure of making my first visit to the track in July this year.

An evening meeting with a huge crowd and fabulous weather, our horse, Euston Square (shares available at westhillracingpartnerships.co.uk), ran a stormer to come 2nd in the feature race of the night.

After racing the rock band, Texas, played a cracking set that was enjoyed by young and old alike. Anyone that says that racing and music can’t mix should have been there that night.

I’ll be back next July if all goes to plan!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.