The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cappa Bleu – Novice Status

Home Forums Horse Racing Cappa Bleu – Novice Status

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Hi

Winner of Cheltenham Foxhunters’ , in only start under rules.

Now with Evan Williams, who is quoted as saying that he was toying with the idea of Novice Chases, but had shelved the idea.

Are Hunter Chase runs excluded from affecting a horse’s novice status?

I just want to establish whether he’d be eligible for the RSA.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

He wouldn’t.

Here’s the definition of a Novice. My reading of this makes him ineligible, but I can see how it might be confusing.

7. Novice horses

7.1 A horse is a Novice, in respect of a flat race, if the horse is permitted to run in the race in accordance with the definition of any novice flat race category defined in Rule 4.6.
    7.2 A horse is a Novice, in respect of a Hunters’ Steeple Chase, if the horse is permitted to run in the race in accordance with the definition of Novice Hunters’ Steeple Chase in Rule 5.5.2.
    7.3 In respect of any steeple chase which is run in The Jump Season 2009/2010 and is not within Paragraph 7.2, a horse is a Novice if the horse has not won a steeple chase before April 26th, 2009, apart from no more than two of the races specified in Paragraph 7.5.
    7.4 In respect of a hurdle race run in The Jump Season 2009/2010, a horse is a Novice if the horse has not won a hurdle race before April 26th, 2009.
    7.5 The races specified in this Paragraph are

7.5.1 any Maiden Hunters’ Steeple Chase or Novice Hunters’ Steeple Chase, or
    7.5.2 any Hunters’ Steeple Chase which is confined to horses eligible to run in point-to-points run in Great Britain only during the two preceding seasons.

7.6 Where, in the period starting on March 1st, 2009 and ending on April 25th, 2009, a horse wins a hurdle race or a steeple chase for the first time, it shall be regarded as a novice and is eligible to run in novice hurdle races or novice steeple chases as the case may be until October 31st, 2009.
    7.7 Paragraphs 7.3 to 7.6 apply to a steeple chase or hurdle race which is run in the period starting on April 26th, 2009 and ending on April 24th, 2010.

I’ve put the crucial paragraph in bold. The Cheltenham Foxhunter is NOT confined to horses eligible to run in point-to-points run in Great Britain only. Unless of course the word "only" applies to what comes after it. Not the clearest rule I’ve seen.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Thanks Rory.

Presumably Williams was thinking of taking advantage of Paragraph 7.6, by which Cappa Bleu remains a Novice until 31st October.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Hmm, clear as mud. I would have thought that if you won a race over fences ( regardless of the type of animal you are running agains owing too the number of "hunter chasers" who are trained by a proffessional trainer who runs most of their string under rules) in season x, you should not be able too run in novice chases the following season.

Frankly I would prefer too see ex pointers having too cary exstra weight if horses they running against having not run in points in novice hurdles/chases as these horses have efectivly got chasing experince.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Don’t get too het up YP – Cappa Bleu is probably running in the Charlie Hall.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

I am not het up at all, i will be at the Charlie Hall chase so we shall see how good he is against open company as apposed too other "novices".

Wetherby is a good test of jumping, you need a horse who can jump cleanly at speed rather than dour stayer whose jumping is suspect.

I wonder how the reduction in the four yearold weight allowence will affect trainers too run horses over fences at that age.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Don’t get too het up YP – Cappa Bleu is probably running in the Charlie Hall.

We will know how really good he is after that I should imagine. That Open I saw him win at Horseheath on the last day of January will live long in the memory. I hope he goes right to the top.

grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 651

Are the Hennessy weights published before the Charlie Hall? I’d be surprised to see him line up at Wetherby if not, as he’d surely be risking an attractive handicap mark for Newbury.

It’ll be interesting to see how good he is, but he’s clearly got to improve a fair bit to trouble the best.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Erm, it is a distinct possibility that Denman will run in the Hennessy. Anything below 150 will be oh.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

If Denmen shows up in his usuall form then he will pop round, have drink in the members and still hack up by twenty lenghts unless Kauto Star or his little brother turns up, then it could get a little interesting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.