The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Capello’s first squad

Home Forums General Sports Capello’s first squad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Any thoughts anyone?

I’m a little surprised that Capello is rumoured to have told both Beckham and Defoe that they must be playing regularly to be considered – but he then goes and picks Curtis Davies who has had five Premier League starts all season :shock:

Incidentally, Davies is one of eight players who can play centre back in the squad (Richards, King, Woodgate, Lescott, Brown, Ferdinand, Upson, Davies). Is there any need for this many? I know a few can play left back or right back, but he has also selected Bridge and Cole (left) and Johnson and Shorey (right) – how many defenders does he want?

Mike

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Davies is the surprise choice for me. Capello has chosen a lot of defenders but he is Italian :) and I have heard that his style of football is effective but not that good to watch. We will see. Switzerland are not that good a team in my opinion.

I wonder who will start in goal? My choice is James as he is in good form and has the experience.

Pete

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

It looks distinctly second rate in the forward department
    Only Rooney would put the wind up any half decent opponents.
    Owen’s yet to recover fitness or form.
    Heskey has his uses as a foil for an in-form Owen to justify selection. As Owen isn’t (yet) the Owen of recent years then what’s Heskey going to do?
    Agbonlahor has speed but is hardly Ronaldo;t he’s yet to convince me that he’s got skill to match his pace. Still immature (not his fault, he can’t help being young). Look at the complete cat’s-ar@e he made at Liverpool when spurning the chance to play a simple ball to Nigel Reo-Cockup to put Villa 3 – 1 up. Made the worst of all choices and ran into the only defender left between him and the goal. Our dog dribbles better.
    Crouch – okay, he’s not just a one-trick pony, but he’s not an automatic choice at Liverpool. Wouldn’t have got a sniff in the Shearer, Sheringham era.
    Okay, the dearth of top striking talent amongst English forwards isn’t Capello’s fault. It’s just so disappointing that we lack firepower up front. England, with this crop of strikers are going to have to rely more than ever on the scoring talents of their midfield (Joe Cole, Lampard – when fit – and Steven Gerrard).
    I really hope Jermaine Defoe’s move to Portsmouth will give him a chance to shine again. At his best I think he’s superior to Heskey, Crouch and Agbonlahor.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8966

Crouch gets a lot of unfair stick IMO. his scoring record at the top level is good and he presents opposition with a type of threat they don’t normally face.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

He’s got to give Beckham a chance to get his 100th cap for England even if he only comes on and plays for the last five minutes of a game…

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I have a feeling we may be seeing five at the back, which given the lack of creative midfield, wide and forward players is not a bad thing.

Beckham should only get his 100th cap if he is fit and deserving of a place. At the moment, he is neither

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

He’s got to give Beckham a chance to get his 100th cap for England even if he only comes on and plays for the last five minutes of a game…

I totally agree Moe.

I think the reason he didn’t pick Beckham for this squad is because of what you have just said. Basically, a lot of the country are saying the same thing – "He has to give him his 100th cap even if it’s a 5 minute run out" etc.

If Capello had of picked Beckham this time, it might have been perceived that he was bowing to public pressure – so instead he has left him out, with everyone now thinking that he is ruthless.

I would almost bet everything I own that Beckham will be in one of the next few friendly squads and get his 100th cap. I can’t have Capello saying he was left out because of fitness when Becks has been training with Arsenal for the last four weeks. Beckham is also one of the most naturally fit footballers in the world by all accounts. Besides, why would he need to be fully fit to have a five minute run out in a friendly against Switzerland.

Curtis Davies and Peter Crouch are in the squad, and they have hardly played this season. Even Emile Heskey is just coming back from a three or four month absence due to his broken bone in his foot or whatever it was. So why is fitness not an issue with them, but it is with Beckham.

I could be wrong, but like I’ve metioned, I just think it’s Capello wanting to be perceived as ruthless, rather than someone who bows to public pressure – and therefore used the fitness excuse to omit Beckham.

Mike

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

but McClaren used Beckham to throw his weight around when he took over, and at the end it was very nearly Beckham who saved him..….he deserves this so much, and I want to see him on the pitch….I’ve supported the English team through thick and thin and, as a fan I deserve to see Beckham get that cap as much as he deserves to get it….

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Beckham should only get his 100th cap if he is fit and deserving of a place. At the moment, he is neither

I can’t have it at all that Beckham isn’t worthy of a place on merit. He has so often down the years been the only player in the England team to play to his form, and even in his latest cap he made a difference when he came on, providing a delightful little ball for Crouch to score the equaliser. I think people get on his case too much because he’s a wide player who has never been able to beat a man.

Fitness, however, is another question all together. Can you be fit enough for an International without a proper match for nigh on 3 months? I’d say it’s debatable to put it lightly.

Danny
    • Total Posts 790

Mike, Capello has only to cut the squad down to a 23 man squad tommorow so id expect that 1 or 2 of them defenders may be left out.

Regarding Beckham I agree with Capellos decision to leave him out the team for one hes not match fit also surely we have to be looking towards the future Is Beckham still going to be around come the next World Cup and even if he is is he going to be the player he once was?

I can’t have it at all that Beckham isn’t worthy of a place on merit. He has so often down the years been the only player in the England team to play to his form

When England needed Beckham the most he usually goes and blows it

1998 Vs Argentina He got sent off
    2002 Vs Brazil He jumped out of a tackle with Ronaldihnio which lead to a Brazillian goal.
    2004 He missed to Penaltys against France and Portugal.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Danny,

England might not have been in one of those World Cup’s if it wasn’t for Beckhams one man show against Greece. I’m not just talking about his goal either, his overall performance that day remains one of the best individual performances I’ve ever seen – especially when the rest of the team thought they just had to turn up to beat Greece.

I agree that Beckham isn’t the future, I don’t think anyone on here will argue with you there. I think the point most people are making is that he deserves his 100th cap. Personally I don’t care if he never plays for England again after he gets his 100th cap.

Remember, to get that 100th cap all you have to do is step foot onto the pitch for a few seconds. Capello could easily have done this with Beckham against Switzerland, so does the fact that Capello has left him out due to lack of fitness (and said the door is still open) mean that he is planning to use him in the future once fit?

I hope not. Like you Danny, I don’t see Beckham as the future and he wouldn’t be in any of my squads once he has got that deserving 100th cap.

Mike

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Every player who has 99 caps deserves that 100th.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

and, as usual Beckham is being totally gracious about not being chosen. I don’t know much about football, but Beckham is a player who creates opportunities for other players to score goals, he did so in the last game. If our new manager can’t see how morale boosting it would be for the team and the fans to have Beckham on the bench, then I wonder if he’s the right man for the job; but hey, what do I know?

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I have been calling for Beckham to be ousted from the England squad for a long, long time, and his eventual exclusion was the one decision Steve McClaren actually got right (he made himself look a complete Kermit when bringing him back of course).

Curtis Davies, whilst inexperienced, is an extremely talented central defender, and it won’t be long before he and Ledley King are ready to begin challenging Terry and Ferdinand for their positions. As such their inclusion isn’t all that surprising, but why Wes Brown, Matthew Upson, and Jonathan Woodgate have been included I do not know. The latter did, at one time, look like developing into a world class player, but his move to Real Madrid pretty much blunted his progression (not withstanding the consecutive own goals on his reappearance, two red cards and another injury) and he’s been nothing like the same calibre of player since.

Gareth Southgate must be wetting himself having offloaded him for £8m.

Even the naming of Wayne Bridge is mystifying, with him having failed to successfully challenge for a starting place at Chelsea since his move from Fulham. He lacks pace and creativity, and his final ball is never worth waiting for.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

LGR,

I have to disagree with most of your post, though I will only go into detail on a few things.

Curtis Davies and Ledley King to be challenging Terry and Ferdinand before long – I’m not sure about this. King, Terry and Ferdinand are of similar age, and when all three are fit, I would be amazed if King is ever selected ahead of them.

As for Davies, well he may be an England player of the future, but again, when Ferdinand and Terry are fit, I’d be amazed if he is selected ahead of them during the course of the next 12-18 months. After that, who knows? He is a good defender and improving rapidly – but for now, I wouldn’t have him anywhere near Ferdinand and Terry.

As for you querying Wes Brown’s inclusion – can you name a better right-back than him this season. He has been outstanding at the back for Mancehster United. Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic and Brown have been outstanding and I can’t think of another right-back I would have ahead of Wes Brown.

And your comment regarding Wayne Bridge is confusing. You say he has failed to successfully challenge for a start at Chelsea. Where did you get that info from?

Under Avram Grant, he has actually played a similar amount of games to Ashley Cole. I’ve just looked back to December, and since then he has been involved in at least eleven games, and I know for certain that he has started the last three. If that’s not challenging for a starting place at Chelsea, I don’t know what is.

I’d be quite confident in saying that you’re not a Chelsea or Manchester United fan :lol:

Mike

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I agree about Woodgate, Boro accepted offers for him without even haggling. He has been dreadful this year for Middlesbrough and I dare say the club were very glad to off load him.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.