The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Calling betting shop staff

Home Forums Lounge Calling betting shop staff

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

Is it possible to get a copy of a losing betting slip?<br>What is the normal procedure for losing betting slips and how long does a shop retain losing slips?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Not one anymore Seagull but they normally ask you to write a copy of your bet out if you lose your slip.

Time, date, what you had it on, selections etc and they’ll find it that way.  Will also ask for ID too.

Not sure if they’d let you have a copy of a losing slip – just ask them for a receipt and say it was placed for a mate and you lost the slip etc.<br>Martin<br>

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

how long does a shop retain losing slips?

I think before the new computerised system came in 6 months was generally how long you would have to claim your bet. With the new system all bets are on a hard disk so I am not sure if your bet stays permanently in the system or the Bookmakers clear their systems of unclaimed bets after six months.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

The firm I used to work for kept them for around 2 months on paper and I presume permanently within the hard disc down at HQ.  Not sure about the one I currently work for as not in a shop anymore :)

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I can only really speak for Hills, but we can give you a print out of all the bets on the slip as we translated them. We can’t give you a copy of the slip, although if you’re familiar with that shop they’ll probably let you have a look at the computer image. You’ll have to make sure you go to the branch the bet was placed in though.

I’m not sure about the retention of slips, but I’ve tried looking for losing slips that are about 9 months old and failed, but winning slips will always be in the system.<br>

(Edited by Friggo at 10:49 pm on May 1, 2007)

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I’m not quite sure what you mean, but at the end of the day we have to bundle all bets taken and put them in a box; they tend to lie there for a few weeks before disappearing. As far as I am aware the slip would stay in the system forever, though the older it got the more difficult it would be to find it because of the unfriendly search parmeters.

When there is a winning bet you have lost the slip for you must write out a copy with as many details as you remember and staff will then check find it and check it matches….. however I certainly wouldn’t have a problem searching for an old lost slip on the system loser or not, providing it wasn’t busy!

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from Friggo on 10:45 pm on May 1, 2007[br]I’m not sure about the retention of slips, but I’ve tried looking for losing slips that are about 9 months old and failed, but winning slips will always be in the system.

How do bookies substantiate turnover to the Inland Revenue then?

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

if required, original slips can be produced, IR accept our computer print outs, after audit.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

HMRC Notice 451, section 6.1.1

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><br>You may destroy betting slips 6 months after the date when bets were made with you. However, in the case of, winning bets you must retain betting slips for a period of 6 months after the date you paid out the winnings.<br><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort … _CL_000255

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Quote: from davidbrady on 9:18 am on May 2, 2007[br]How do bookies substantiate turnover to the Inland Revenue then?<br>

Bookies pay tax? I thought they had free reign of this country to shaft everyone in their path! ;)

Don’t ask me about that sort of thing, guv’nor, I just work there. But I’ve never heard of a boss getting on at a shop manager for disposing of ‘beats’ too early, so I don’t think it’s taken as a huge issue.

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I’m horrified by the lack of knowledge of procedure from betting shop employees these days. When I was a Ladbrokes shop manager, all losing slips had to be bundled with the relevant marker sheets and sent to our auditing/security hub in Gateshead on a weekly basis to be retained for the duration. That was officially 6 months but business was generally retained for longer. The fact that most shops now have computerised records of their business makes this arguably surplus to requirements, but if images are archived and non viewable within the auditing period, then there must be hard copies to back up.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

That still happens. All slips taken and collected slips are bundled up with FOBT sheets and receipts, the AWP sheet and merchant copies of all switch transactions. These are dated and put in an envelope. What I don’t know is when they are collected/sent away to HO and what then happens to them thereafter. I think it’s only still done now because its still the law, even though computerised systems are used in the vast majority of offices.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.