The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Burton Port

Home Forums Memorials Burton Port

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 15019

Put down after the veterans chase at Doncaster today.

Cracking horse, who mixed it with the best, and could have landed a few more prizes, but for injury. A real shame.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Very sad. Lovely little horse. Condolences to all involved.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

What a horrible shock to read that. A crying shame that he won’t be enjoying his retirement with Hedgehunter and Ballabriggs on the Isle of Man, which I’m sure Trevor Hemmings would have put in place. Condolences to all connections :cry:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I know Mr Hemmings will be devastated because he takes such care of his horses but Burton Port had been trying to tell people for ages that he’d fallen out of love with racing :cry:

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

I don’t think being placed in last years Whitbread points to a horse totally out of love with racing ,why can’t horses just be remembered with dignity on this group without the usual suspects making negative comments.
    It’s getting a bit creepy .

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I’m not one of the ‘usual suspect’ homer. But he wasn’t finishing his races well and was going backwards today when he fell. I felt the same about Cappa Bleu the other week and was relieved to see him come back in one piece.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

I’m not one of the ‘usual suspect’ homer. But he wasn’t finishing his races well and was going backwards today when he fell. I felt the same about Cappa Bleu the other week and was relieved to see him come back in one piece.

Not my comment Moe :wink:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Oh homer; I’m so sorry :oops: I really am upset about the little horse was wasn’t concentrating :cry:

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

No problem Moe. Always so sad to lose a horse especially when a high profile one such as this :(

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

Well, after being a good 40 lengths off the pace with 3 to jump you should consider to pull up such a lovely character. I hope he did’t go straight to the butcher. Once again very ugly scenes in the background with the horse clearly being in massive pain and as mentioned before: no one seems to care as long as it is only a horse per day.
    RIP Burton Port
    I am sure you were treated like a real king even when you took the bullet!!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

What in heaven’s name makes you assume, as always, that nobody cares? Your reaction makes me angry I have to say.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 168

Me too Boroughill ,AP would think the horse was ok to come home in his own time otherwise he would have pulled him up.
    Rubylight i think it’s time you took a holiday and your lithium .Your posts are getting increasingly bizarre .

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

No, I just want to see someone here criticizing a jockey, trainer or owner when something like this happens. And I seriously would want to know if they are going to take Burton Port home or if he will land on someone’s plate sooner or later.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

Well, after being a good 40 lengths off the pace with 3 to jump you should consider to pull up such a lovely character. I hope he did’t go straight to the butcher. Once again very ugly scenes in the background with the horse clearly being in massive pain and as mentioned before: no one seems to care as long as it is only a horse per day.
    RIP Burton Port
    I am sure you were treated like a real king even when you took the bullet!!!!

No, I just want to see someone here criticizing a jockey, trainer or owner when something like this happens. And I seriously would want to know if they are going to take Burton Port home or if he will land on someone’s plate sooner or later.

Exaggerating again Ruby. :roll:
    Did you actually watch the race?
    Burton Port was far from “40 lengths off the pace”.

I can totally understand Moe’s post, if it wasn’t for Burton Port loving being out in front at both Newbury and Sandown’s Befred Gold Cup would’ve agreed. In the last couple of years he was a stayer who needed to lead; but often downing tools once passed and not straight-forward. The horse got outpaced today and could not remain in front; not wanting to know and dropping back. Had AP been able to con Burton Port (by going wide) in to thinking he was out on his own, it was possible might have stayed on again.

Alvarado and Ikorodu Road have similar staying power to Burton Port; they all took 4 out together. Ikorodu Road (a similarly temperamental horse to Burton Port) and Alborado took the last fence disputing last place, yet finished 3rd and 4th. So Burton Port also still had a chance of third place when taking 4 out (not 3 as you say) and yet you say he should’ve been pulled up. Considering what happened to the two horses AP took 4 out with… had he done what you ask probably would’ve been suspended.

Had Burton Port got over 4 out and continued to lose ground am sure AP would’ve pulled the horse up, sadly he got no further.

Burton Port was a lovely horse, up to tackling the best in his prime. Think everyone wishes he hadn’t turned up today.

You seem to believe nobody cares but you Ruby Light. Where’s the evidence of “no one seems to care”?

Why can’t these threads be about the horse, not you showing us all you “care”?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Your implications are almost slanderous RL, and are based on no evidence whatsover. You’re making ridiculous assumptions, and this craziness detracts from the real reason for this post: to pay our respects to this lovely horse, and to wish his connections well.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Cracking old horse – always seemed to be running on at the end of a race. Certainly in his younger days, Burton Port looked (at least to my anthropomorphic eye) to make up for being a little short on class by being very big on courage.

What a sad end for him. The way Trevor Hemmings, Jonjo and AP care for their horses is beyond doubt and once again I feel you need to take a moment to think before steaming in on here RubyLight.

It’s terrible for all concerned, especially after AP and Jonjo lost At Reception yesterday. Trevor Hemmings has also had quite rotten luck for an owner without massive numbers having lost old stagers Goguenard, Young Kenny, The Last Fling and Town Crier.

RIP

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

I don’t always agree with you Ruby Light but I do in this case. The commentator on ATR made a point of saying that McCoy was on his feet. My gut feeling this season had been that Burton Port was tired of the game which is why today upset me so much.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.