The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bumpers – dwindling numbers

Home Forums Horse Racing Bumpers – dwindling numbers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Is it my imagination or are the number of bumper runners this year down on previous years in both the UK and Ireland. In Ireland especially there seems to be a lot of single figure fields whereas I think I can recall a few years back Willie Mullins commenting on the difficulty getting all his horeses into bumpers due to the high numbers of entries.

Also there seem to be several cards in the UK of late where there has been no bumper at all.

I am guessing the simple reason is that there are now fewer sires and therefore lower numbers of young horses coming into the game.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

I don’t keep stats on runners but I doubt field sizes over here have been significantly reduced if at all. There are certain tracks where you almost expect small fields and extremes of going will almost always reduce field sizes.

In Ireland the vast increase in the number of Point-to-Point meetings must be having an impact. I can remember Adrian Maguire setting records riding 30-40 winners now you have jocks riding a 100. Don’t think Willie Mullins will be complaining too much since he is the man who has taken most advantage of the relatively uncompetitive nature of a lot of their races. Shame so many punters still swallow the idea that Irish is best when it comes to the Festival.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1918

Big stables giving multiple entries to theirs lead to big entries at the five day stage but smaller ones at final decs stage.
    Our filly Red Danger Angel debuted back in November at Haydock,that was a decent sized field of 16,probably haven’t been too many fields much bigger than that since.
    We had her entered at Bangor,Southwell & Ludlow this week and she hasn’t ran since as we’ve been waiting for good ground.
    The Bangor race was always going to be 3rd choice because the ground is a bit softer and because we aren’t 100% sure she’ll stay decided 2m 1f is just a bit far.
    The Ludlow race had a much smaller entry at the 5 day stage but with a Henderson hotpot entered we were undecided whether to go there.
    In the end we went for Southwell as the race cut up badly and on paper is pretty weak.
    Certainly Ludlow would be one of the tracks where field sizes are always small in bumpers and I’m sure that is simply ground related.
    Ffos Las seems to as well,perhaps that is a location thing although couldn’t be sure.

harrythehat
    • Total Posts 15

Todays bumper at Folkestone had 20 entries with only 10 declared to run.Unfortunately, because the bumper is normally the last race on the card you get the worst of the ground. If you want good going there is a strong chance this time of year of it being on the soft side for the last race.
    I think in Ireland that horses that have run in points or hurdle races can also run in bumpers. If I am wrong I am sure someone will put me right!

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

Big stables giving multiple entries to theirs lead to big entries at the five day stage but smaller ones at final decs stage.
    Our filly Red Danger Angel debuted back in November at Haydock,that was a decent sized field of 16,probably haven’t been too many fields much bigger than that since.
    We had her entered at Bangor,Southwell & Ludlow this week and she hasn’t ran since as we’ve been waiting for good ground.
    The Bangor race was always going to be 3rd choice because the ground is a bit softer and because we aren’t 100% sure she’ll stay decided 2m 1f is just a bit far.
    The Ludlow race had a much smaller entry at the 5 day stage but with a Henderson hotpot entered we were undecided whether to go there.
    In the end we went for Southwell as the race cut up badly and on paper is pretty weak.
    Certainly Ludlow would be one of the tracks where field sizes are always small in bumpers and I’m sure that is simply ground related.
    Ffos Las seems to as well,perhaps that is a location thing although couldn’t be sure.

Why race her if you think she might not stay 2m1f ?!

Looking at her breeding i’d say she’s bound to stay. I know the dam ran over sprint distances but she was never going to make a sprinter and would have improved over middle distances, being by Exit To Nowhere

She’s quite nicely bred actually ! I think we’ll see more Sulamanis in the next few years. Cash And Go is the best of his crop so far.

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

I didn’t realise you gave Philip blowjobs as well as Nicky.

post by Zarkava just what this forum needs

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

How is that related with anything in this thread ?

You’re nuts.

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

I don’t know how many entries are normally received, but only 39 have been entered today for the Champion Bumper.

ivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

I don’t know how many entries are normally received, but only 39 have been entered today for the Champion Bumper.

still not on the racing post big race entries section. they are so slow at times. just looked on the results page and still waiting for the full result for the 5.25 at Bangor (its now 6.04pm!). This is shocking. Hopefully Racing Plus will give them a ricket up their rear ends so they start pulling their fingers out.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

Red Danger Angel ran well behind a very nice prospect. Think she’ll win hurdles races.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1918

Very pleased with that.

Probably not particularly strong form,but the winner had finished just behind recent dual hurdles winner Velator on debut so might be that we bumped into one.
    First three were well clear and she seemed to get the trip pretty well so hopefully we can have some fun with her.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.