The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Buick and Doyle announced as new Godolphin jockeys

Home Forums Horse Racing Buick and Doyle announced as new Godolphin jockeys

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Just read this news. Sorry to sound so negative but can’t help thinking this is a poisoned chalice for both jockeys. Looking at what the jobs did for SDS and Barzelona I can’t help thinking Doyle was better off with Juddmonte and Buick with Gosden. Godolphin are a massively under-achieving operation and Sheikh Mo is a tough boss to work for. Or is that just me?

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

They must have been given enormous salaries laden with potential bonuses to make these career choices. That must be the only explanation given all the negatives of the job you mentioned.

Good luck to them even so. It’ll be fascinating to see who profits from the reshuffle at the Gosden yard and with the Juddmonte horses.

rob2005
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Worth noting that the Princess Haya horses will now be running for Godolphin – thats a fair percentage of the runners Johnny G sends out.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Money, and lots of it, surely the only thing that’d tempt you to leave Gosden for Charlie Appleby (grand fellow though he undoubtedly is). I guess he’ll still ride for Gosden when available although JG will no doubt be looking elsewhere for a regular rider for his non-Haya horses (Moore?).

Doyle’s contract with Juddmonte was only for one year and with doubts over the long-term in that operation his was probably an easier decision to make.

You do get the strong feeling that, post-Zarooni (and maybe pre-Zarooni), Godolphin are at sixes and sevens.

Joseph O’Brien still has the best job around, without any doubt at all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

This is nothing more than the sorry times we live in.The word Career no longer exists in modern times and Godolphin are nothing more than an equestrian form of the Co-op. :roll: Frankie Dettori made a lucrative Career working for Godolphin for 20yrs,those times seem a long time ago when loyalty reigned.Of course having said that a jockey only needs a 1 year contract with Godolphin to become a Millionaire as Ajtebi and De sousa will also vouch.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1400

Perhaps Juddmonte will have Tom Queally back in business.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

As the man said "There is something rotten in the state of D….".

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

As a punter I don’t particularly like either of them. Quite similar in ‘style’, a couple of hold-up/bridle merchants who are relatively powder-puff in a finish. Always thought that Godolphin like their horses to be ridden forward so someone is going to have to change.

Hopefully, I can start thinking about backing Juddmonte horses again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33002

As the man said "There is something rotten in the state of D….".

Where the **** did that comment come from? :roll:

Oh sorry, America. Well, that figures. :lol:

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I don’t see how either of these new jockeys is going to work the magic and make the Godolphin operation any more successful.

Frankie was lucky enough to have been working for them at a time where they were having some big time winners but the outfit have gone through several changes and experiments, with the wintering in Dubai, the huge two year old stable under the supervision of David Loder and the two-pronged Bin Suroor-Zarooni spell that ended in controversy and embarrassment as the latter member turned out to be toting more pharmaceuticals than Boots.

Looking at the past ten years or so it is hard to form any other opinion than an operation in decline and I don’t think that changing the jockeys is the way to turn the ship around.

If there is one single area I would be concerned about it is why so many of their well bred two year olds make promising debuts but then fail to progress next time. They had any number of promising youngsters last season who were beaten on their next start, and coming through the trials for the Classics this spring, only True Story looked likely to make any impact for them but he ended up a very big disappointment, despite having Keiren Fallon singing his praises.

If there are changes to be made I would seriously be addressing the problem they are having with putting together a strong team for the Classics and you only need to look at big rivals Coolmore and their early hand for next year, to see that Sheikh Mohammed is going into the Champions League of Horse Racing to face Barcelona with a team more akin to Yeovil.

From the jockey’s point of view, they are moving to a team that just chucked away similar up and coming jockeys, after a season that saw them take until October, and the Racing Post Trophy, to win their first Group 1 in the UK. The jockeys have both left operations who have been far more successful in recent years.

So much for ambition and wanting to be in the top races and riding Group 1 winners. We can clearly see that pockets stuffed with cash is the real motivation in this move. Perhaps something both jockeys can ponder while they watch their former employers landing big pots in the future.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 404

Is there any guarantee Doyle got offered an extension with the Prince :?:

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I think the question with the Juddmonte operation lies in its long term viability as a racing operation, given the age of its patron. Doyle may have had a difficult decision, or perhaps an easy one if no new contract was forthcoming from Juddmonte.

It will certainly further increase Ryan Moore’s options, you would imagine, if Gosden and Juddmonte don’t retain a rider next season. But I think Juddmonte have pretty much always had their retained, or certainly preferred, jockeys so someone might pop up to fill that role for a season. De Sousa?

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Whilst there was that statement from Juddmonte last year about a scaling down of operations I have since read that too much was made of that in the press. Indeed, if you look at their website and of course take into account recent recruits to the breeding operation in Frankel and Kingman, I think at least the medium term future of Juddmonte is assured.

I am not sure SDS or Barzelona would agree that there is guaranteed long term viability being a jockey in blue.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Whilst there was that statement from Juddmonte last year about a scaling down of operations I have since read that too much was made of that in the press. Indeed, if you look at their website and of course take into account recent recruits to the breeding operation in Frankel and Kingman, I think at least the medium term future of Juddmonte is assured.

I am not sure SDS or Barzelona would agree that there is guaranteed long term viability being a jockey in blue.

Khalid Abdullah has always said the Juddmonte operation was not a business about making money and, instead, described it as his only hobby.

He’s either 76 or 77 at the moment and his sons have begun to take control of the side of his financial interests that

is

there to make money.

I don’t know whether any of them share his interest in horse racing but you would think it hard to see the Juddmonte operation having serious mileage in it if the main purpose of it is to be a vehicle for their father’s enjoyment.

I am not sure how long it would take to wind down an operation the scale of Juddmonte but, without a figure from the family sharing the same interest as Prince Khalid, it is something I wouldn’t be confident about predicting when he is no longer with us.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Perhaps you’re right Stevie. I just don’t see any signs of that happening right now. If anything they are going in the other direction.
    His death may well change that as you say though what price Frankel at the sales? :shock:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Perhaps you’re right Stevie. I just don’t see any signs of that happening right now. If anything they are going in the other direction.
    His death may well change that as you say though what price Frankel at the sales? :shock:

They did buy eight colts at Keeneland in September that are going to be trained by Bob Baffert. This is more than they have previously purchased for such a purpose and you can see from the list that a few quid was laid out.

Speightstown x Union Waters, $400,000; Unbridled’s Song x Bubbler, $560,000; Candy Ride x Cat Charmer, $460,000; Harlan’s Holiday x True Addiction, $200,000; Scat Daddy x Unspoken Fur, $360,000; Trappe Shot x Winning Call, $600,000; Midnight Lute x Seeking the Ghost, $220,000; and Trappe Shot x Songfest, $380,000.

I just wonder who will drive the business forward without the Prince when that day inevitably comes. Maybe he will be another Bruce Forsyth and outlive us all!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.