The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeders Cup – your engagement 1-10

Home Forums Horse Racing Breeders Cup – your engagement 1-10

Tagged: 

• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by KrisKris.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8785

From 0 (hardly even know it’s on, couldn’t care less) to 10 (been thinking about nothing else for months, love it) how would you rate your engagement with the Breeders’ Cup?

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 384

3 …honestly I’d rather have bet on all weather at Newcastle

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 661

It is usually 9 or 10 because I like top class racing with top class horses. This year it is just a 6, because the Europeans especially, and other countries too, have decided that money is not everything, and kept their best horses at home. Coupling this with the facts that the three-year-old crop in the USA appears to be below standard, and their four-year-old cohort contains very few stars, means that it is probably the weakest Breeders Cup in decades.

The only item of great interest for me is Code of Honor, who did so well as a two-year-old last year despite being about as late a foal as possible. He is still progressing now and will probably be a terrific four-year-old, and might just take the Classic today, before he has another winter maturing.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

Does seem to be a bit disappointing this year but I remember watching the race that Lester won on, was it, Royal Academy on a tv set in a house in Birmingham;that sparked my interest… then struggled, pre internet to find places that showed it.Of course there was Dayjur’s near miss and then the Zenyatta years. So, along with the Melbourne Cup that I stay up all night listening to [even did so when I was at work that day] it’s been part of my racing life for a long time.

TongeTonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1230

I would have rated it 9-10 when it was on terrestrial TV. I may not have bothered following it at all this year if it wasn’t for the competition on here.

chestnut
    Participant
    • Total Posts 482

1 the different drug rules in US puts me off.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 422

Agree with chestnut. I cannot get past the lasix issue. Good luck to anyone playing but it is not for me.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1193

4. I’m not as hostile to the event as some but the jumps have kicked off and was at ascot today. You can’t realistically follow everything

Been my strategy and desire to narrow down the area that I give a lot of attention to

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5769

Hugely uneven playing field for Euro team even though the option is there for using Lasix. The drug is used throughout the season on the USA horses who must be well used to it. If I recall correctly, American trainers were offered 7lbs allowance per Lasix free horse – not a single one accepted the offer.

Add to that the rampant capitalism that saw a relatively safe tapeta track replaced with a cheaper and much less safe one and I have little appetite for this these days.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1478

Watched it on Sky Sports Racing, but had little interest apart from Nathan’s comp. My score reflects my keen interest so 1 then.

It’s the National Hunt which has peeked my interest.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9988

Probably a 3 this year David as I was worried about the track record of injured horses and was relieved that Magical didn’t run. Also like others don’t agree with the Lasix issue..
    a bit of a non event this year and if it hadn’t have been for Nathan’s comp wouldn’t have taken that much interest..Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22225

Was lower than normal for me this year too
    I even asked the boy if he wanted to go and watch the firework display, he declined so I went around Fathers for a few hours doing a bit of work and caught up with things later on. I did have a little interest betting wise in a few races including Vino Rosso Ante Post at 12’s and also done the annual competition so I’d say my engagement was about a 4 but to be fair horse racing in general has been a bit lower for me overall. I’m putting it down to the incredible run of results of Liverpool football club and also Somerset County Cricket Club as well as personal stuff I’m busy with too.

Member since March 2008
    TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9988

I agree that this flat season has been the worst I can remember for a long time, with so many high profile horses lost it’s certainly been the saddest, at least footballer’s legs mend if they break Nathan, maybe I should start taking an interest.

Also I’m downgrading my interest to 0 David having just learn’t of the death in the last race of the night the Breeders Cup Classic of Mongolian Groom :-(

I’m sure we all remember the sad loss of George Washington in bog like conditions at the Breeders Cup Monmouth Park, that broke my heart and I have never watched Breeders Cup in the same light since.
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4858

Have to say it is probably a six for me!!
    I always enter the competition and have a few bets but with it not having any European superstars this year the interest waned somewhat

KrisKris
    Participant
    • Total Posts 555

I’ve tried, I’ve really tried, but I feel my interest waning over the last 2 or 3 years.

I can understand posters like Kez, who clearly loves US Racing, looking forward to it, but I think if it wasn’t for Nathan’s competition, a lot of us wouldn’t bother.

I would have said maybe 5 for me in the past, but after the last two years, I would give it a 1, and that’s me being generous.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.