The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeders Cup Mile

Home Forums Archive Topics Breeders Cup Mile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Draw for post positions –

The very wonderful Goldikova has drawn the ONE stall for Saturday’s BC Mile.

Zoffany out of two, Strong Suit 11, Gio Ponti 5.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

The question being asked is Goldikova as good as she was?

IMO she is and will take this again.

She had never come across anything in the class of Canford Cliffs when he beat her. Had it not been for Frankel and injury he would most likely have gone down as one of the best milers of all time.

Dream Ahead may be a bit in and out but when Haley won on him he had the place abuzz of what might be. He was certainly as good as Paco Boy ever was even if he had a much shorter career.

Really she’s done nothing wrong just met a better class of horse none of which are here.

Although Richard Hannon sends Strong Suit he isn’t in the same class as Canford Cliffs was he probably wouldn’t even be here if the stables star was still around.

Goldikova?-absolutely!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

Goldikova needs 1m and fastish ground to show her best, and her only defeat in such circumtances in the past 3 seasons was by Canford Cliffs, who’d be long odds-on were he running in her stead.

Far from being past it, she’s as good as ever imo. has already thrashed most of these, and with Strong Suit unlikely to stay, looks the safest bet of the meeting in my eyes.

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Is Goldikova "as good as ever", that’s the question !

I’m not so sure she is, and although I have backed her in each of her three previous BC wins, it is with a heavy heart (and probably a lighter pocket ) that I will be opposing her this time round.

Strong Suit to cause an upset.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

I think if she’s not as good as ever, she’s less than a length shy of her best.
    From gate 1 she’s unbeatable. Even if Strong Suit drew well he couldn’t beat her since she’ll stalk him from her gate. Zoffany might run on into 2nd or 3rd. Gio Ponti showed last year that he’s a miler on the level of Paco Boy, so you can’t see him beating Goldikova from stall 1, but may run 2nd.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

I really dont think Goldikova needs to be at her very best to win this. You’d have to look at Gio Ponti or Byword as the most likely to benefit from her not being on her A- game.
    Strong Suit is poorly drawn and the trainer has had very few runners in the Breeder’s Cup so the understanding of the demands may not be 100%,

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

C’mon Goldikova. I’m a wreck waiting for this race…Going to be disqualified?? Oh dear…Keeps 3rd. Guys from Timeform radio said Peslier rode a terrible race.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

Goldikova foul? She would never do that :roll:

Talk about prejudice, absolutely shocking decision

Miss WoodfordMiss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

My boy Court Vision got it! 8) I’ve been following him for a while, he’s always game and a real honest kind of racehorse.

Goldi’s foul didn’t affect the final outcome of the race, so she keeps her placing.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

Wasn’t he a HUGE price Miss W?

BosranicBosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Thank-you for the memories, Goldi.

Miss WoodfordMiss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

Wasn’t he a HUGE price Miss W?

2nd highest ever, 65-1. Did not deserve that, IMO. He’s got a lot of back class (was a Kentucky Derby also-ran in 2008, then switched to turf), but he’s a deep closer so he doesn’t win all that often. He rallied to finish 4th and 5th in the past two BC Miles.

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Strong Suit never at the races but my pre race doubts and concerns about Goldikova’s ability to win were justiffied. The two horses who finished in front of her didn’t beat the real Goldi, that is for sure.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Not Peslier’s finest moment that’s for sure. Bordered on dangerous rather than careless for me.

Not quite the horse she was you’d have to think. But what a career she’s had.

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

On sectional times and form most of her races this year have been right up there with previous years (almost beating Dream Ahead in a time way better than the juveniles with a huge space back to the others is way up there). More a case of a race too far I think.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.