The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeders cup: Classic

Home Forums Archive Topics Breeders cup: Classic

Viewing 15 posts - 154 through 168 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 2432

Number of fans she’s got in this country, why not a revamped and ultra-sponsored Winter Derby?

jose1993
    • Total Posts 1228

Number of fans she’s got in this country, why not a revamped and ultra-sponsored Winter Derby?

:lol:

Recommend it to Rodders. Can you imagine how good she would be at Lingfield on that track?

Kez1111
    Participant
    • Total Posts 131

I think I am the only one who has sympathy for Mike Smith, he was distraught after the race, in tears saying "It was my fault not hers" he said she didnt travel as he wanted her to, but it just didnt look she wanted to race, Smith said she didnt like dirt in her face, and I thought the same as you guys, she was never winning from that far back, I feel bad for Mike Smith, how hes going to feel psychologically now.

Participant
    • Total Posts 443

I think I am the only one who has sympathy for Mike Smith, he was distraught after the race, in tears saying "It was my fault not hers" he said she didnt travel as he wanted her to, but it just didnt look she wanted to race, Smith said she didnt like dirt in her face, and I thought the same as you guys, she was never winning from that far back, I feel bad for Mike Smith, how hes going to feel psychologically now.

I’m in that boat. Smith is not a self obsessed person. He loves the horse and feels the same as we do about her. I have huge sympathy for him.

I guess its just one of those things…. :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I seriously feel devastated. Every racing fan in this country is devastated. Mike Smith will need armed security guards for the rest of his life.

Armed security guards? Hmmm. A gross over-reaction, if I may say so, Miss Woodford. Mike Smith lost a horse race – he did not kill your President. :roll:

Zenyatta ran much better than I thought she would. I did think at one point Mike Smith was about to pull her up; although in saying that, he did show great nerve and patience – and belief in his horse, which enabled her put her best foot forward and gain momentum – thus allowing her every chance of challenging for victory.

Yes, Smith probably did over do the waiting tactics: think Greville Starkey, Dancing Brave – but that said, she still had every chance of mowing down the one who is really to BLAME for the hitherto public out pouring of grief.

In the end, she didn’t – and she lost !

That’s racing as we say. :|

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 2432

Jose, if Rodders is worth ten percent of his inflated salary, he’d be on the phone to the Moss’s next week.

If they can fork out three million quid for an artificial day contested by second raters, they can shell out a sponsored million for a Queen. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 443

I seriously feel devastated. Every racing fan in this country is devastated. Mike Smith will need armed security guards for the rest of his life.

Armed security guards? Hmmm. A gross over-reaction, if I may say so, Miss Woodford. Mike Smith lost a horse race – he did not kill your President.

:roll:

Zenyatta ran much better than I thought she would. I did think at one point Mike Smith was about to pull her up; although in saying that, he did show great nerve and patience – and belief in his horse, which enabled her put her best foot forward and gain momentum – thus allowing her every chance of challenging for victory.

Yes, Smith probably did over do the waiting tactics: think Greville Starkey, Dancing Brave – but that said, she still had every chance of mowing down the one who is really to BLAME for the hitherto public out pouring of grief.

In the end, she didn’t – and she lost !

That’s racing as we say. :|

I think Miss Woodward is suggesting that she may have a say in whether he requires armed security….if you know what I mean Himself… :P

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I think Miss Woodward is suggesting that she may have a say in whether he requires armed security….if you know what I mean Himself… :P

Yes, nulty, I think I do :wink: I’m getting visions of the feisty Miss W bedecked in Annie Oakley gear, rifle in hand, standing outside poor Mike Smith’s gaff, yelling ( probably hollerin’ :P ), " Come on out here ya yeller, no jockey son of a rootin gun. " :mrgreen:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 2432

Anyone remember Dayjur? Carson’s interviewed afterward in the winners enclosure and he says that the best horse finished second. A New York railbird leaned over the rail and said "what an asshole!" But it was true. The New Yorker was the arsehole in that Becketian piece – I only remember the name Safely Kept because I’ve watched the video so many times – whose going to remember Blame after next week?

C’mon Jerry. Bring Z on a retirement world tour – stopping off at Lingers, ta! :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I hopew she’s back next year. They have all the pressure off their shoulders now and can go for some biggies and prove how good she really is the world over.

I lost a lot of dough but I love the horse more now than I did before. I hope she returns next year.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Be interesting to see what rational people think once the emotion has died down.

I’m also of the opinion that she just didn’t travel as well in the early part of the race. Her action was a little concerning and at one stage it did look like Smith was wondering if something was up (around the first turn?).

It transpires that the kickback was part of the defeat – http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news … 23611.html

Jockey does blame himself and I don’t think anyone is hurting greater than he is – for all his victories on her he will now be remembered most for the one defeat (thus far).

Sure, he would like to have been closer, but Zen was just not travelling well enough.

To be beaten a head shows how amazing she is – what other horse throughout racing history could have come from a furlong back to be beaten a head?

However, she had her chance, she was there with victory at her hooves with yards to go and she just couldn’t claw Blame back. I guess the winner is a bit of a panto villain at the moment, but he did really dig too.

IMHO, Smith did not cost Zen the race and the best horse won on the day under the conditions.

I thought Chapman and Rain Mac were spouting tripe re Smith on ATR – the jockey did what he could, but he couldn’t do what he had wanted to do…sometimes racing is like that.

If there is a silver lining, and as others have mooted, maybe Zen will run in bigger races next season as well as the BC..

Guess the question of 4/1 about her on Monday being a crazy price has been put to bed.

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 1533

:mrgreen:

Since I opened this particular thread up lets just say well done Blame and all his connections.

Zenyatta might have lost (only just) but the real winner is racing, well done to the owner /trainer & jockey of Zenyatta they never dodged a challenge and gave it their all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1660

Yes, nulty, I think I do :wink: I’m getting visions of the feisty Miss W bedecked in Annie Oakley gear, rifle in hand, standing outside poor Mike Smith’s gaff, yelling ( probably hollerin’ :P ), " Come on out here ya yeller, no jockey son of a rootin gun. " :mrgreen:

No, I mean that some Zenyatta fans are a bit off their rocker. Hell hath no fury like a Californian housewife scorned :lol: . I’m sympathetic to Smith as well, because he’ll get most of the Blame (get it?) for her loss. So it’ll weigh on him like it did for Gary Stevens and Point Given.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 102

What does Katie Perry sing about "Californian Gurls"

"There must be something in the water" :|

What a mare though

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 102

I have a feeling that Lookin at Lucky could be unlucky again, his defeats have come in bigger fields whilst his best performances have been in single figure fields.
    Even when he did win the 12 runner preakness he had a nice trip up on the outside and scraped home that day, if he misses the break he’s toast imo as i think he doesn’t do running through horses well and seems to be switched to the outer to make his run.

It has to be closers imo and the Zenyatta, Blame Fly Down com could be profitable.

I do hope she wins, it could be worldwide news and by god does horseracing need it.
    Connections have done the sport proud with a "meet the fans" special which reached out beyond the narrow confines which we usually inhabit.

Lets hope its 20/20 vision

From a narrower angle ive played her at 9/2 and 4/1 because im sure i’ll get a freebee come post time…

I dont know, you stick the trifecta on here for all and sundry and get no thanks :roll:

Viewing 15 posts - 154 through 168 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.