The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Breeders Cup

Home Forums Horse Racing Breeders Cup

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

Oh dear.

Miss WoodfordMiss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

Explain.

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4250

Oh dear – carnage for punters?

I reckon you could have run many of those races 10 times and got 10 different results. A bit of a lottery and so may hard luck stories.

I am just glad they didnt send Frankel to that track.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1572

Just think what a shambles it would be if UK racing tried to do it?

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4598

Just think what a shambles it would be if UK racing tried to do it?

If British racing tried to do it then it wouldn’t be at Wolverhampton, Lingfield, Southwell or bloody Kempton for a start – which would be a massive improvement.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

Just a mess – I didn’t have a single bet, I learned my lesson with U.S. Dr Feelgood ‘racing’ a long time ago.

The result of the main race speaks for itself. Makes you realise how good our big events are.

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 398

It was definitely a bit rubbish this year

I even forgot to flick over from whatever drivel I was watching on the other channels for a few of the races

I don’t like the US TV coverage with interminable interviews with jockeys who have nothing to say. I’d rather listen to Willo droning on about sectional times………… :roll:

JollypJollyp
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 540

A different style of racing,if its not in Europe its not worth worrying about culture on here at times.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

It was definitely a bit rubbish this year

I even forgot to flick over from whatever drivel I was watching on the other channels for a few of the races

I don’t like the US TV coverage with interminable interviews with jockeys who have nothing to say. I’d rather listen to Willo droning on about sectional times………… :roll:

Funny, the jockey interviews are what I enjoy the most about the ESPN/NBC coverage.
    By far the most memorable moment from this year’s otherwise unspectacular Preakness Stakes was the exuberant Jesus Castanon winning his first G1 race in his 22-year, 15,000-starts career.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

Last year’s meeting and the year before were fantastic. The build up to Zenyatta was fantastic and I expected more of the same this year.

Very very disappointed. The only buzz I got was when Joesph O’Brien flew past everything on SNA.

Apart from that the entire meeting was a drag. The camera work was woeful and the presenters were boring so much so I nodded off couple of times between races. Commentaries also not a patch on the best in the UK. Just wasn’t the same as years gone by.

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 398

Apart from that the entire meeting was a drag. The camera work was woeful and the presenters were boring so much so I nodded off couple of times between races. Commentaries also not a patch on the best in the UK. Just wasn’t the same as years gone by.

Agree with that and I did slag off the US TV coverage earlier

But maybe it’s a bit like our grand national day on the Beeb, which is aimed at the general public so racing fans think it’s crass and imbecilic ?

I don’t know but maybe Breeders Cup is the only day that racing gets to have ‘main item’ coverage on the sports channels over there rather than being in a racing channel ghetto

Just like the beeb perhaps they feel obliged to go in for the ‘x factor stylee human interest back stories etc’ to kindle a bit of interest amongst the general public ?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Some people. They are never satisfied.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1352

Agree with that and I did slag off the US TV coverage earlier

But maybe it’s a bit like our grand national day on the Beeb, which is aimed at the general public so racing fans think it’s crass and imbecilic ?

I don’t know but maybe Breeders Cup is the only day that racing gets to have ‘main item’ coverage on the sports channels over there rather than being in a racing channel ghetto

Just like the beeb perhaps they feel obliged to go in for the ‘x factor stylee human interest back stories etc’ to kindle a bit of interest amongst the general public ?

Correct. Although the Breeders Cup is by no means a main item anymore-there were only a couple hours of ABC and ESPN coverage, the rest moved to ESPN2 thanks to college football. College football actually preempted the ABC Breeders Cup coverage in several regional markets.

The Kentucky Derby (and to a lesser extent the Preakness and Belmont) coverage is much, much worse though. There’s a freaking red carpet for the D-list celebrities, a cooking competition, and the Ladies Day for the Oaks which is on Bravo of all channels (Bravo being the home of Project Runway, The Real Housewives of _______, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, etc.). This year they decided to up the whole patronizing Girl Power angle (used successfully in last year’s Breeders Cup) with poor Rosie Napravnik as the Tough (but Sexy and Feminine) Female Jockey and Katherine Ritvo as the Tough (but Hardworking Housewife and Mother) Female Trainer. It made me want to puke.

The odd thing is that the one hour of TV time per year given to harness racing for the Hambletonian is much better. Maybe it’s because they’ve accepted the fact that nobody is watching. Also harness trainers, owners, and drivers are generally normal, blue-collar folks who give a good interview. I remember the owner-trainer-driver of Deweycheatumnhowe letting "horseback reporter" Donna Edwards

ride

the undefeated trotting colt. Dewey, typical Standardbred, took it all in stride.

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5108

deleted

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 398

Correct. Although the Breeders Cup is by no means a main item anymore-there were only a couple hours of ABC and ESPN coverage, the rest moved to ESPN2 thanks to college football. College football actually preempted the ABC Breeders Cup coverage in several regional markets.

The Kentucky Derby (and to a lesser extent the Preakness and Belmont) coverage is much, much worse though. There’s a freaking red carpet for the D-list celebrities, a cooking competition, and the Ladies Day for the Oaks which is on Bravo of all channels (Bravo being the home of Project Runway, The Real Housewives of _______, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, etc.). This year they decided to up the whole patronizing Girl Power angle (used successfully in last year’s Breeders Cup) with poor Rosie Napravnik as the Tough (but Sexy and Feminine) Female Jockey and Katherine Ritvo as the Tough (but Hardworking Housewife and Mother) Female Trainer. It made me want to puke.

The odd thing is that the one hour of TV time per year given to harness racing for the Hambletonian is much better. Maybe it’s because they’ve accepted the fact that nobody is watching. Also harness trainers, owners, and drivers are generally normal, blue-collar folks who give a good interview. I remember the owner-trainer-driver of Deweycheatumnhowe letting "horseback reporter" Donna Edwards

ride

the undefeated trotting colt. Dewey, typical Standardbred, took it all in stride.

Thanks for that background, Miss W……… :)

it appears it’s the same the whole world over…….be interesting to know how the Aussies cover the Melbourne Cup as their ‘one day when anyone watches racing on a main channel’ in the X factor style

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.