The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

International Hurdle 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion International Hurdle 2008

Viewing 6 posts - 222 through 227 (of 227 total)
  • Author
    Magistretti
    • Total Posts 74

Binocular looks top notch but I agree that CH will pose a sterner test at Cheltenham in March.

Sizing Europe is another who must have a good chance. I know things didn’t go well for him in the last Champion Hurdle but he looks a monster in his own right. Assuming he doesn’t fold when he hits the hill this time he will surely be thereabouts.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Seems like I am on my own with regards to Celestial Halo but I think you guys are clutching at straws trying to make excuses for the horse.

Pre-Aintree some wouldn’t hear of him being beaten after he won the Triumph. Binocular made him look like a selling plater at Aintree.

He has now repeated the dosage on a much stiffer track and some still insist he can will be a danger at the even stiffer Cheltenham. When Binny stuffs him there you better be hoping they switch the Scottish Champion Hurdle from Ayr to up the side of Ben Lomond when Celestial Halo might then get his head in front :lol:

I know Cheltenham is a tough track but I just can’t see it making enough differnce to allow Celestial Halo to get within 10 lengths of Binocular, when the chips are really down.

The thing about the Ascot race was AP rode his race round what Celestial Halo did……….if something else had ran better and taken it off Celestial Halo say 3 out AP would have made a move sooner and covered it and beaten Celestial Halo even further. He had a ton of horse under him and hardly moved on Binocluar by AP standards.

I wish anyone luck who backs the PN horse but it wouldn’t be me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

I must say, you’re definately not on your own fists. Celestial Halo or anything else in the boylesports race won’t beat Binocular around Cheltenham, but that doesnt necessarily mean Binocular will win….. there are a lot of races over the xmas period and to be backing anything to win the champion hurdle before the turn of the year is utter madness.

Surely this far out, only EW bets are worth it?

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I have no idea all I know is I backed him at 22/1 20/1 16 /1 and 8/1 all EW….if he’s placed I can just about to afford to buy a new rolls royce and if he wins I will be able to put an engine in it :lol:

Of course it’s crazy to back him at his current price as very little will change between now and March. He certainly won’t go odds on as he won’trun between now and then.whereas if Sizing Europe were to win in a hack canter and perhaps even win another Binny might well drift a bit.

Absolutely no sense in backing him right now Andrew.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32979

Will have my fingers crossed for you Fist.

Of course you could have been certain to win a million or more pounds on the Boylesports Hurdle alone. Had you done what I did.

All you had to do was:

Looked at the Pricewise page in the Racing Post. Got two pals together and phoned the three bookies involved at exactly opening time.

And backed:
    Binocular 42.1 million pounds @ 11/8 (Paddy Power)
    Crack Away Jack 20 million pounds @ 4/1 (Sky)
    Chomba Womba 15.4 million pounds @ 11/2 (Sky)
    Katchit 14.3 million pounds @ 6/1 (Sky)
    Celestial Halo 6.7 million pounds @ 14/1 (boylesports)

When Binocular won you’d have made 1.49 million pounds on the race.
    Had Crack Away Jack won you’d have made 1.5 million.
    Chomba Womba won you’d have made 1.6 million.
    Katchit 1.6 million.
    Celestial Halo 2 million pounds.

Well, Paddy Power only gave me their maximum pay out but who’s counting?

Shame I did not have the money to do this for real.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Amazing Ginge but as you know it’s getting on for decent money that protects the bookies….One of the reasons I backed Binocular so many times with so many different bookies was I got refused what I wanted on more than once. Even my local bookie refused me a few hundred quid at 20/1 and told me to leave it out as he was betting the horse himself.

It only takes a couple of them to drop a couple of points on you and that bet is goosed…mind you nothing wrong with doing it for small bets but with these computers nowadays the alarm bells ring for the least little thing.

I’m a bit tired at the momentto do the sum but even to win 14,900 quid I think the lay out would have been huge so I imagine the bookies would have cottoned on had someone tried

Viewing 6 posts - 222 through 227 (of 227 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.