The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Born Under A Bad Sign

Home Forums Horse Racing Born Under A Bad Sign

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

It’s always satisfying to recycle an Albert King/Cream song as a topic title.

I’d like to draw attention to three horses that, given they have fairly high profiles irrespective, would have even greater name recognition if a true champion hadn’t got in their way.

In 1978 Alydar finished second to Affirmed in all three US Triple Crown races, losing by the ever-decreasing margins of 1½ lengths, a neck, and a nose.

In 1983 Soba finished second to Habibti in 4 G1 sprints (she was however disqualified from the Nunthorpe for causing interference).

In 2011/2012 Excelebration finished second to Frankel in 3 G1s and was in total beaten by him 5 times.

There must be others, and I’m curious to know of any.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

In 1974, Giacometti, trained by Ryan Price, finished 2nd in the 2000 Gns, 3rd in the Derby and 2nd in the St Leger. He did gain a reward for his consistency, winning the Champion Stakes.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

Exotic Dancer
    FiguresF2-873331F-2112-121323-53231-32
    Second or third to Best Mate on five occasions including Gold Cups and a King George.
    Born under a bad sign also a lyric from
    “fool for your lovin no more” by Whitesnake.
    As the old saying goes my “Aunt would be my uncle if,…” and an absent Best Mate may have opened the door for another horse suitably weighted to take advantage (but not on five occasions.)

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

I am not sure of the exact details but Pendil only lost 2 of something like his first 16 starts over fences. Both defeats were in the Cheltenham Gold Cup. He was brought down in one of them when he was absolutely cantering over everything.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Theatreworld was 3 times in a row 2nd in the Champion Hurdle from 1997-99.

Youmzain three times in a row an Arc 2nd.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

Melon finished second at four consecutive Cheltenham festivals. Once in the Supreme behind Labaik (who agreed to start for a change), twice in the Champion Hurdle and once in the Marsh Novice Chase, beaten by a nose by Samcro.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2039

There is always hope; Sizing John finished 2nd or 3rd to Douvan seven times before his own magnificent treble

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Seasider, if I’ve understood correctly, your question is focused on horses who had their own personal equine nemesis rather than simply those that were perennial runners-up.

I think the latter are a more common category of which some excellent examples have already been given in this thread.

Of those from modern times who kept losing to the same rival, Exotic Dancer was the one who sprung to mind for me too. Just to clarify though, it was Kauto Star rather than Best Mate who kept beating him. I think he was unfortunate to be around in what was a Golden Age for three-mile chasers, as he was talented enough to have won many Gold Cups.

Solwhit was runner-up to Hurricane Fly in four Grade 1 Hurdles in 2010-11, so he is another one for the list.

Participant
    • Total Posts 74

It was Kauto Star who was ED nemesis.I kept backing ED, more in hope than expectation, thinking his turn would surely come.It never did sadly but what a magnificent horse ED was; one of the best horses never to win the Gold Cup.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Marlingford says:

“Seasider, if I’ve understood correctly, your question is focused on horses who had their own personal equine nemesis rather than simply those that were perennial runners-up.”

That’s exactly right.

Most of us will know of 1893 Triple Crown winner Isinglass but not so many will be aware of Ravensbury. This luckless animal was beaten 8 times by Isinglass during 1892-1894 including 3 second places to that horse in the 1893 classics.

Without Isinglass, Ravensbury would be famous.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Her other achievements mean she is still famous but, back in the 1970s, Dahlia had a nemesis in the form of Allez France who she couldn’t beat in seven attempts.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Huddiepuddies, always good to see someone else who remembers Exotic Dancer fondly. He was a wonderful horse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4719

Phoenix Tower kept finishing second in Group One races, usually to Duke Of Marmalade.

Participant
    • Total Posts 74

Marlingford, he was , I bet he hated the sight of Kauto’s backside.I can still remember those famous pink colours(Ogden) and cheekpieces. What a pity he died so young without enjoying a full and happy retirement.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Notwithstanding Dahlia’s inability to beat Allez France, the filly was indeed a completely top-class horse on her day.

Her dominance in the 1973 & 1974 King George renewals was phenomenal. Of her 6 length win in 1973, from a field including Roberto, Rheingold and several other G1 winners, Timeform wrote, ‘seldom can a top-class, hotly-contested, weight-for-age race have been won as impressively’.

Timeform’s comment on Dahlia’s 2½ length success in 1974 was, ‘cantered home on the bit’. A wonderful filly, but Maurice Zilber’s assertion that she could beat Secretariat any day in any country smacks of hubris.

This reminds me that Sham finished second to Secretariat in both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness. When Secretariat went about 30 lengths clear in the Belmont, Sham’s rider not surprisingly eased him down to finish in the ruck.

It’s not impossible that Sham would have been a Triple Crown winner if not for Secretariat.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

So pleased others liked Exotic Dancer too. I was there when he died – absolutely heartbreaking. Life just isn’t fair.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8933

I suppose we are missing the obvious one. Mill House had the misfortune to have the ultimate nemesis in Arkle.

At least he did win a Gold Cup as a novice. How many more would he have won if Arkle had not been around?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.