The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bob Back

Home Forums Horse Racing Bob Back

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Whilst trawling the web [as you do] I found a website of top NH sires, and this horse was mentioned. 24 of his progeny [out of a total of 102] have been winners; not a bad strike rate…I’ve never heard of him..can anyone give me a few more details please?…

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Born in 81 this son of Roberto out of a Carry Back mare was trained by Michael Jarvis. He won 2 of his 3 starts as a juvenile and then at 3, owned by Antonio Balzarini, his best run was his short head 2nd in the Italian Derby.

As a 4yo, owned by Bruce McNall, he put in lifetime best performance when beating Pebbles and Commanche Run in the Prince of Wales’s Stakes when he started at 33/1. He was also 3rd to Pebbles in the Eclipse, 2nd to Commanche Run in the Irish Champion and 2nd in the Man O’War Stakes. He ran poorly after his subsequent to his transfer to Angel Penna in the Breeders’ Cup Turf and at Bay Meadows.

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Cheers for the additional info Adrian.

Moe – do you happen to still have the address for the website in question? Would be quite interested to see it. Cheers :)

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Can’t find address – know I was looking up Breedsbreezes breeding at the time…and Presenting was at the top of the list….

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

Cheers all the same Moe….will have a scout around :)

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3224

I was at Ascot the day he beat Pebbles and Commanche Run in atactical four runner race. His victory was greeted by a totally spontaneous round of dead silence !

Except in the betting ring, where most of the bookies were rolling around laughing ………

Commanche Run v Pebbles was that year’s equivalent of Denman v Kauto Star and nobody even considered the possibility of both of them getting beaten.

AP

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

And not a bad sire.

A very durable horse, as you would expect with his breeding. His maternal grandsire, the Kentucky Derby winner Carry Back, was as tough as they come and sired horses in his own image, if not always of the highest quality.

We could do with a few more stallions like Bob Back.

Mr Frisk
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Sired a Classic winner too, don’t forget: Bob’s Return.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.