The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Black Oval

Home Forums Horse Racing Black Oval

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Anyone any views on this? As bad a case as I’ve seen for a while.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Sorry, DJ, I was to busy watching Kahlua Bear win for Grey Desire and Shadow Leader.

The horse is trained by Kirsty Boutflower who also trains Tajjree.

Well done all.

Apologies for sidetracking your thread, DJ.

Colin

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

No problem Seabird. Well done to all concerned. Kirby certainly packs a stronger punch that Adrian McCarthy. Back to the theme of the read, good to see action was taken. I lifted this off the sportinglife website.

Trainer Stewart Parr and jockey Dean Mernagh were in hot water with the stewards over the running and riding of Black Oval in the Pontin’s Family Holidays Handicap at Wolverhampton.

The six-year-old finished just over two lengths behind Kahlua Bear when third in the seven-furlong contest after being held up in the early stages.

Mernagh was found in breach of Rule 157 (c) – the ‘non-triers’ rule – which states a horse has "intentionally been restrained and not let down" and suspended for 28 days.

Parr was found in breach of Rule 155 (ii), which governs the instructions given to a rider, and fined £5,000. The horse was banned for 40 days.

Good to see Mernagh keeping his nose clean having already been told he faces an enquiry into his past conduct.<br>

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Is this the same Black Oval who had scored just once from 55 starts prior to today? I know he drifted from the forecast 3-1 but, IMO, that price was too skinny to start with given his poor strike-rate. He invariably finishes well but doesn’t get there. I made him the Racing Post Spotlight selection for a Banded race at Kempton a few runs back – I was fully aware of his poor record but the race was dire and I thought he might win by default – I put him in as the 5-1 fav only to see him drift to 10-1, whereupon I backed the beast, only to see him finish fast and late into a place, as per usual. I’m surprised the jockey has been done for the ride as Black Oval has simply run to form.

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4572

It does seem slightly odd that connections should be done for ‘avoiding winning’ with a horse which has made a career of doing just that!

Rob

Jim JTSJim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

I’m in full agreement with Mounty on this, I’ve actually backed Black Oval on numerous occasions at big prices and for me she’s just one of those horses that just doesn’t put it all in and also needs everything to drop right, in my opinion she ought to have won more races than her solitary debut victory when trained by Mick Channon, I actually thought todays race would be fought out between her and Seldemosa who had actually already beaten Khalua Bear last time they met.

Black Oval I’m sure will win another race but she really is a bit of a madam, I’m surprised by todays outcome, surely connections would love to win more races with her?

Well done to GD and SL on the Khalua Bear victory.

(Edited by Jim JTS at 7:20 pm on Jan. 22, 2007)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

DJ<br> Admittedly, I didn’t see the race, but can you be sure it isn’t just a case ‘give a dog a bad name’?<br>The horse is obviously quirky, has been ridden similarly with much the same result in its last 4 races, and hasn’t managed a single win since its frst run, aeons ago!<br>I’m all for stamping out non-triers, but D Mernagh is an easy target, who would have to absolutely brainless to attempt a stroke like this in his current circumstances. Also the fact that he has ridden the horse similarly on each of his last 4 starts does suggest he was riding to instructions.<br>

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Not seen race so can’t really speak, but from what i’ve read about this, it seems odd to me that people see a race record as an excuse  to  possibly not running a horse on it’s merits

Can’t figure that out tbh

<br>

(Edited by empty wallet at 7:39 pm on Jan. 22, 2007)

robnorthrobnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4572

EW

Simply a case of if it is proven as not very good at winning, there doesn’t seem much added point in making it seem not very good at winning!

Rob

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Cheers everyone – I think half of Gib heard the "gowan Adam!, gowan Adam!" being screamed!  

I must also admit to not watching Black Oval at all either DJ – too busy yelling at Adam to "give him another one!!!!!" :o

(before I get maligned for this – Teds [aka Kahlua Bear] is a lazy, lairy sod who needs screaming at, stoking up, the head ridden off him & stripes put on his arse before he’ll consent to go on – on receipt of all these things he’ll say "alrighty then, I’ll do it I s’pose"…..he didn’t break into a sweat or have a blow after the race, so I’m told…..)

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from robnorth on 7:12 pm on Jan. 22, 2007[br]It does seem slightly odd that connections should be done for ‘avoiding winning’ with a horse which has made a career of doing just that!

Rob<br>

<br>Agreed. It’ll be Longueville Manor next week. :rolleyes:

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

And the whole of the Midlands probably heard me shouting ‘Gowan Teddy’ as they did last week when Taj did the biz.<br>Brilliant result for the Team.<br>I have to say I wasn’t watching Black Oval either.<br>

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

It did look bad, tbh.

But that’s Black Oval. That’s what he does. On this occasion, I reckon Mernagh has been harshly treated. I’ve seen much, much worse this season.

And as for the drift, the one involving a top Newmarket handicapper – and subsequent last placing – was far, far more worrying last Friday. And to my knowledge, there was no enquiry.

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Quote: from Grey Desire on 12:27 am on Jan. 23, 2007[br]And the whole of the Midlands probably heard me shouting ‘Gowan Teddy’ as they did last week when Taj did the biz.<br>Brilliant result for the Team.<br>I have to say I wasn’t watching Black Oval either.

I don’t care what anyone says against low grade racing, this is the defense. Look what pleasure these two horses gives to so many people! They haven’t won the Derby but who cares? Taj is a star to me!!

Bosra Shambles
    • Total Posts 14

Black Oval’s past record is irrelevant in this case. Nobody can watch the race and say that Black Oval would not have been fighting out the finish if Mernagh had not been trying to pull its head off all the way up the straight.

The horse would have gone very close in a bad race yesterday (four maidens and only 14 wins between all the other runners from 187 starts) if it had been ridden to do so.

And that much can be made of the race without even knowing that the horse more than tripled in price in the minutes leading up to the off!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.