The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Black Jack Ketchum

Home Forums Horse Racing Black Jack Ketchum

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    TheOneAndOnlyTonyMcCoy
    • Total Posts 202

Well today in the John Smith’s hurdle, in my eye’s Black Jack Peformed poorley. From two out, he had pressure from Faasel and a positive was that he stayed on strongley and battled gamely. I would like to here your views on how he ran today and wether he can progress further this coming season?
    Thanks
    TOAOTM

TheOneAndOnlyTonyMcCoy
    • Total Posts 202

Thanks for your reply, i agree, nothing in todays performance changed my mind for the World Hurdle. The fact that he didnt win well against a horse who hasn’t ever established itself as a truly great horse (No direspect tro Faasel)

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

the only thing i can take from the race is it reinforced my view that faasel WILL NOT pass a horse in a fight to the line.

• Total Posts 2440

Black Jack was only asked the question to really pick up though about half a furlong out.

McCoy didn’t get the whip on him until that time, where as Faasel was under pressure from before the last hurdle.

I agree that i wouldnt be too confident for races such as the World Hurdle, but i think he will perform better and come on for the run.

• Total Posts 1631

Well today in the John Smith’s hurdle, in my eye’s Black Jack Peformed poorley. From two out, he had pressure from Faasel and a positive was that he stayed on strongley and battled gamely. I would like to here your views on how he ran today and wether he can progress further this coming season?
    Thanks
    TOAOTM

I’d stick a big ? at side of race , but you could take the view

Beating Fassel a neck, beating Lough Derg 18l and St Mathew 28L giving each 8lb means BJK has run right up to his best and probably up to World Hurdle place form

• Total Posts 1631

Iglish Drever is only around a 165/7, Wichita Lineman needs to impove on what he’s shown so far, Hardy is similar to ID, Detroit City has to prove himself again, but would be of similar ability to BJK

Unless summat else steps up, World Hurdle looks like it could be decided on who jumps last best

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Looked like the same old Black Jack Ketchum bridle horse to me. Well past his best imo.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

He looked very good until got beat for the first time but in hindsight the value of the form was not that good. He could probably find a little improvement from jumping better off a faster pace but not enough to win at the highest level.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

He still doesn’t quite get 3 miles, but not a bad effort after his operation.

Faasel ran a game race,in spite of his reputation.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Judging by how well he was going a mile out, he would have won more easily had the race been over 20 or 22f.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

I would think connections would be reasonably pleased with Black Jack’s performance today. As Ven says he was returning after an op. and probably wasn’t 100% race fit.

Jonjo is now looking at dropping him back in trip, 2m 3f. race at Ascot?

Colin

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I’m absolutely certain that Black Jack Ketchum doesn’t really get 3 miles and have been for ages. His class got him through today as it has on many occasions. This horse needs to come back in trip and I’d be taking the Champion Hurdle route if I were Jonjo O’Neill. I can’t believe Black Jack’s connections won’t now take that view.

Look at the way this horse travels. Had this race been over two miles he’d have won without breaking out into a sweat.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Thats Blackjacks big problem, he travels all day then finds nothing. Thats why their sticking to the staying route imo. He may find another race but he’s past it now at the top level.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Thats Blackjacks big problem, he travels all day then finds nothing. Thats why their sticking to the staying route imo. He may find another race but he’s past it now at the top level.

He finds nothing because his energy levels are dropping. Look at today, courage and class got him through. He’s always reminded me of a hurdling version of One man.

The Champion Hurdle is made for Black Jack IMO.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Dont think so Flash. He’s obviously a fragile horse, he’s suffered from a low bloodcount, had the wind op and had the heavy fall at Cheltenham.

Maybe he’s had enough of the game. He still has to prove how good he is outside novice level and I dont think he has it at 8 years old. I think 2m at the top level would expose his ¨bridle¨ qualities even more.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Dont think so Flash. He’s obviously a fragile horse, he’s suffered from a low bloodcount, had the wind op and had the heavy fall at Cheltenham.

Maybe he’s had enough of the game. He still has to prove how good he is outside novice level and I dont think he has it at 8 years old. I think 2m at the top level would expose his ¨bridle¨ qualities even more.

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree then.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I really don’t think he has trouble staying, he’s just a total bridle horse. 2m would expose this even more when they quicken up IMO. I think he should stick to the WH as it stands, as most of the main contenders need to improve some to be of championship standard, as much as they have shown ability.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.