The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Bird Flu

Home Forums Lounge Bird Flu

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

There’s a hullabaloo in the media about bird flu at the moment.

Is anyone worried? Or is it just another SARS-esque nonsense?

It actually reminds me of the time a few years ago when there was widespread Equine Flu at Newmarket.

I went to Musselburgh races at that time and ended up sick with a heavy cold.

I had the notion that, had I died of Equine Flu, it would have been quite a fitting end.

Steve

caravan
    Participant
    • Total Posts 107

has an expert in the UK said on Sunday that there will be 50,000 deaths in this country in the winter of 2006-7

that sounds a bit OTT or could it be true  :(

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

This story isn’t going away.

Apparently we, as a species, aren’t immortal after all.

And now we’re crapping it over the small possibility that a virus may happen to mutate in a particular way and bump off 50,000 people in our country.

We’re so scared about this that it’s knocked the actual death of 50,000 people off the front pages.

Fairly pathetic.

We’ve had the UK population going over 60m for the first time recently, so maybe losing 50,000 wouldn’t leave us too short handed.

And, if we get short of people, we could just invite some Bulgarians and Russians over here to make up the numbers.  

So, what’s the big deal?

Steve

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

You can imagine can’t you; Caxton’s freesheet being read by educated merchants in the taverns along Bristol Docks back in the early 14th.

"Ere, Amos…what does thou thinketh of this Black Death then, out there in Cathay?"

"Errrr…load of old bullocks, Seth. I think it be a Froggy plot to keep us away from Calais…ere, I’ve got this ere BOIL…do you want a look…"

You’re a man of politics. What did Malthus say about population control. War, famine and pestilence.  Mother Earth always corrects imbalances and they DID discover that infected parrot…;)  I’ll keep an open mind.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

what does thou thinketh of this Black Death

Is your bubos swollen or are you just pleased to see me?

(yes, I know that doesn’t make sense anatomically)

I agree some disease will bump a lot of us off someday. I just don’t think it’ll be this one.

Steve

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Here’s a wee something I put together… :biggrin:

Mrs Parrot goes to the Doctors as she feels she’s caught bird flu, she gets there and tells the Doc that she feels she has the symptoms of the disease, the Doc says "I’m sure you haven’t got bird flu because of your name Mrs Parrot", she replies "but Doc will you examine me to make sure", the Doc goes ahead with the examination and tells her she hasn’t got bird flu but does have a bit of Thrush! :biggrin:

On hearing this she starts calling the Doc a quack and that she isn’t swallowing his diagnosis, the Doc then replies, "calm down Mrs Parrot will you stop crowing about it as I’ve examined you with my eagle eye and I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about", she says "ok, thanks Doc I’m glad it’s only a bit of Thrush, any ideas how I may have contracted this?", the Doc replies "I’m not entirely sure Mrs Parrot but maybe you’ve had a cockatoo too many, only you will know". :biggrin:

On that note she flies out the door runs down the stairs out onto the road, crosses over the Pelican crossing only to hear the Doc shouting from the window, "Mrs Parrot enjoy your holiday in Turkey and give my regards to your husband Robin".

<br>Hooraaay for pun central, :biggrin:

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Well I thought it was funny! :cheesy:

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

No probs Raz, not everyone will find it funny, a sense of humour is needed. :biggrin:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Can that dead parrot in the news be described as a polygon?

<br>Polygon? Polly-gone? See what I did there?

Christ I’m wasted on you people :biggrin:

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

no

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Raz, it’ll probably get to you first seeing as you seem to be of the ostrich variety :biggrin:

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

Raz, are you on the glue? who says Scots don’t care? put the glue down and go to bed, you’ll be ok in the morning.

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

Quote: from lollys mate on 7:20 pm on Nov. 1, 2005[br]no<br>

still no.

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Apart from Graysons and Mad max
    it looks like the rest of them
    succumbed to the epidemic :(

gamble
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

rockabilly :mrgreen:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.