The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Betting Exchanges and Ante Post Punting

Home Forums Horse Racing Betting Exchanges and Ante Post Punting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wilsonlwilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 860

I’m sick of reading forum messages ( and not just on here btw), complaining about a trainer having put the forumite away because of now redundant ante-post slips where the trainer had known all along what the horse’s intended target was.

It’s not that I don’t have sympathy – I genuinely do – but we’ve got to the stage, especially highlighted by the upcoming festival and coupled with the increase in possible targets where if there is any truth to the rumours (and I’m sure in some cases there is) connections don’t even need to stop a horse from winning any more. They can just enter it for multiple races, express a preference for one and then switch to the other at a later date.

My heart tells my head that no owner or trainer would pass over the chance to win a race like the Arkle and possibly shape a horse’s future career for the sake of helping a few people make a few quid by laying on the exchanges but the fact that there is a constant question mark and need for discussion is ruining the enjoyment – well it is for me anyhow.

*I need to add that not for a single second do I think anything untoward has gone on at McCain’s and I believe the reasons are completely genuine, i.e. they’re quite simply dodging Sprinter Sacre :wink: .

But look at Henderson this morning, he had to come out and assure the public that all was fine with Long Run because of suspicious price movements on other runners in the race. Betting even needed to be suspended overnight due to the uncertainty, which incidentally was the right move IMO.

Also, look at how often an exchange is the first way that people are made aware of something imminent when living in the social network that we do you’d think a Tweet direct from the trainer would hold that honour – apparently not.

Unfortunately I have no idea what the answer is but at this very moment – how I’d love racing to be back in the pre-exchange days.

Lee

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Given the herd mentality of punters, I’m sure someone with a sufficiently large enough fortune could start rumours by offering inflated odds on certain runners on Betfair. As an experiment in exposing the psychology of the bettor, I think it would be rather entertaining.

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

These sort of rumours used to surface about the fancied runners in big races long before the days of betfair and exchanges.

I no longer bet ante-post; I haven’t done so for many years. The recent advent of Bookmakers offering NRNB is much more appealing and from my perspective, certainly much more sensible.

Apparently there is something amiss with Gold Cup favourite, Long Run. Seems an all too familiar pre Cheltenham story. I’m going to take Nicky Henderson’s word when he says that the horse is absolutely fine. Maybe I’m being naive but I think the rumours have been put out in order for some punters to attain a bit of value. Maybe I’m wrong. :?

Had I backed ante-post, I may have had a small wager on Bog Trotter for Cheltenham. I don’t, and just as well, as he has been re-routed to Naas instead.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

KINGFISHERKINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1511

‘Himself’ thats twice you have called him ‘Bog Trotter’ its

Bog Warrior

,did you back the William Haggas colt for the Lincoln Ante-Post or was it the Arkle? :lol:

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

‘Himself’ thats twice you have called him ‘Bog Trotter’ its

Bog Warrior

,did you back the William Haggas colt for the Lincoln Ante-Post or was it the Arkle? :lol:

:oops: My humble apologies. You’re quite right. Got my bogs mixed up again. :? :lol: Of course, I meant Bog Warrior.

Mind you, I could have highlighted Simon Holt’s faux pas when he initially referred to Frankel as "Francome" during his commentary in the early stages of last season’s Greenham Stakes, but I didn’t. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26574

I’m sick of reading forum messages ( and not just on here btw), complaining about a trainer having put the forumite away because of now redundant ante-post slips where the trainer had known all along what the horse’s intended target was.

Lee

I don’t think many (if any) people are complaining about trainers "putting them away" exactly Lee.

Although in my opinion, the new Jewson race has just enabled connections of the best novices to avoid each other – Which defeats the object of "Championship" races. Three novice hurdles (Supreme, Neptune, Albert) does the same thing. And I thought that before my Arkle ante-post bet on Peddlers (7/1) went west. :lol:

We’re just bemoaning our bad luck. And one or two decisions. Shame Henderson didn’t have other Neptune candidates and fewer Supreme(ists). Otherwise Simonsig would’ve gone for the latter where he’d have a far better chance. Or may be that’s the 14/1 ante-post wager speaking? :lol:

So please Lee, let us have our moan. I’ll be on here again when Grands Crus (8/1 RSA) goes for the Gold Cup or Long Run (11/4) is absent; or my Triumph duo Grumeti (12/1) and Baby Mix 10/1) miss out.

I might have a lot of reasons to feel sorry for myself. Although may be there should be an "Ante-Post bets – I’m feeling sorry for myself" thread? So as not to litter the forum / lessen enjoyment for others.

value is everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26574

Actually Wilsonl, reading some of the stuff on the Cheltenham section… You have a point. People have taken it too far. Letting their/other punters ante-post losses cloud their judgement. Looking for ulterior motives behind trainers decisions is silly.

Punters should not get angry about the trainers. If a race is there to take part in and allows connections to run scared of certain rivals… They’re going to do it.

value is everything
    Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Running scared is one way of putting it. Another way is that the trainer is giving his owner the best chance of winning by taking advantage of the watering down in quality of the festival.

Participant
    • Total Posts 26574

Exactly EF.

value is everything
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.