The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best ride you’ve ever seen?!

Home Forums Horse Racing Best ride you’ve ever seen?!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1083

As Cormack has already said, my enthusiastic ‘what a ride’ threads are to become a thing of the past, but what is you’re fav’ ride in history :?: mine would either be AP on Wichita Lineman or Lester on Rodrigo de Triano? Both special.

llanrumneyboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 125

Hi Matthew,

For me it would be Lester Piggott aboard Roberto
    in the 1972 Derby. Although there was controversy over his getting the ride, for me it was an exceptional ride allied with the prestige of the race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

In recent years Johnny Murtagh’s winning ride on Mastercraftsman at Royal Ascot was an exceptional piece of race riding.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

It has to be Pat Eddery on Dancing Brave in the Arc for me. Superb horse ridden by the best jockey, with a short straight in a really prestigious race abroad.
    Having said that I thought he also rode a superlative race, albeit unsucessfully, in trying to get Kalanisi to beat the iron horse by coming very wide and late.
    Older contributors may also remember a Walwyn horse called, I think Pasty, who had to have its head literally dropped on the line, again great skill required.
    Sorry guys, I must unelect myself as the the unelected chair of the Pat Eddery fan club

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

In recent years Johnny Murtagh’s winning ride on Mastercraftsman at Royal Ascot was an exceptional piece of race riding.

Helped that he had Mastercraftsman under him though. Not as good but similar to Giants causeway the way he battled.

Best ride (although there’s loads of good’uns) is Martin Dwyer on Sir Percy (I was on Dragon Dancer). Although he’s not liked by some, Ahmed Atjebi’s ride on Gladiatorus in Dubai was really well judged.

• Total Posts 263

Willie Carson’s ride on Bahri in the 1995 QEII to beat Ridgewood Pearl springs to mind. His decision to take the horse to the wide outside of track for the better ground was a race winning manoeuvre against a superior rival in Ridgewood Pearl.

No matter how bad he is as a pundit for the BBC it shoudn’t be forgotten that the guy was a real top class jockey.

monksfield
    • Total Posts 257

Lester on Royal Academy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThhBVc0bA&feature=related

• Total Posts 602

For me, it just has to be Jamie Moore, Fiepes Shuffle, Desert Orchid Chase, Kempton Park, December 27th 2008.

Need I say more? :D :D :D

• Total Posts 276

Lester on Royal Academy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1ThhBVc0bA&feature=related

With you 100% on this one, Monksfield … particularly when you bear in mind Lester was aged 55 at the time and had only resumed riding 10 days prior to this race following three years out of the game which saw him serve one year in prison for tax evasion along with suffering the ignomy of having his OBE stripped from him … simply an incredible jockey.

• Total Posts 980

For me it was Danny Cook on Our Vic in the Peter Marsh Chase back in January.

After going the wrong way on him at Cheltenham two races previously, the pair just stormed away & it never really looked like they were going to be caught.

I’d only gone to see Mon Mome so I was a little disappointed but I’ll never forget the cheer from a modest crowd. I doubt many had a penny on Our Vic but they were all cheering him on by the last.

It would have been Robbie Henderson on Ellerslie George in November but by his own admission, he was only a passenger that day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Wichita Lineman, Cheltenham 2009, purely incredible.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

September 24th 1994

Nine runner field for the QE2 stakes.

Eight of those runners group one winning champions, most multiple times over.

The other beast a multiple failure in minor stakes races under the cackling Carson. Richard Hills taking over that day.

Can you guess the result?

End of Thread.

• Total Posts 276

Wish people would stop mentioning Wichita Lineman … brings back painful memories of a round robin containing Forpadydeplasterer, Punjabi and Maljimar … would have been my biggest ever return … fortunately, Maljimar was the second leg or it would have felt even worse … I still appreciate McCoy’s incredible strength and will to win but, to this day, every time I see him in a driving finish from the last I’m willing him to get beat … not that I’m one to hold grudges :roll:

• Total Posts 1083

Ride of the year so far was McCoy on Tempsford in the Midlands Grand National, absolutely superb. :)

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Ride of the year so far was McCoy on Tempsford in the Midlands Grand National, absolutely superb. :)

Almost as good as the one he gave Synchronised in that race! :P

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

• Total Posts 1083

Almost as good as the one he gave Synchronised in that race! :P

:lol: yeah that’s the one, brilliant wasn’t it, sheer class :!:

And yes it’s pocket talking aswell, I had £50 at 7s :lol:

Oi Oi :!:
    :mrgreen:

Fallonman
    • Total Posts 35

Timmy Murphy on Davids Lad to win the Irish Grand National a few years back.
    Sensational!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.