The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best Mate v Moscow Flyer

Home Forums Horse Racing Best Mate v Moscow Flyer

Viewing 7 posts - 86 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

how close to Istabraq was Moscow Flyer when Istabraq fell in Ireland – would Istabraq have definately won had he stood up?

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Istabraq is another one rather like Best Mate that had nothing to beat. Theatreworld? French Holly? Those two could barely win a race let alone be considered top class hurdlers. Hors La Loi did go on to win a Champion Hurdle but he was another who was nothing more than decent.

Istabraq was good but to put him in the same league as Night Nurse, Monksfield, Sea Pigeon, Persian War is over doing it in my opinion.

Champions dominating weak divisions is one thing, dominating good horses that are top class and win races is another entirely. Look at Kauto Star he’s dominating chasers like Exotic Dancer who without Kauto would’ve won a Gold Cup and a King George in the same season, Beef Or Salmon won umpteen Grade 1’s, Monets Garden, Our Vic, Voy Por Ustedes (over 2m last season) et. All those horses are capable of winning top Grade 1 prizes.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

how close to Istabraq was Moscow Flyer when Istabraq fell in Ireland – would Istabraq have definately won had he stood up?

From memory there wasn’t much in it, half a length to a length?. Would Istabraq have definately won? No.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Who’s to say that Moscow wouldn’t have stayed 3 miles, or even won a gold cup. Barry Geraghty said that he was at is "Awsome best" over 2 1/2 miles and believed he would get 3.

Also, at a premium time for 2m chasers, Moscow was always king regardless of track or ground conditions.

Best mate wasn’t so good when taken out of his comfort zone at Cheltenham…. A hammering by beef or salmon at leopardstown springs to mind.

Common sense tells you Moscow wouldn’t have got the trip. Thee premier races are The King George V and The Gold Cup……If you have a horse you think will get the trip you run him…No one would give up a chance of winning either………I don’t recall Moscow ever being considered to run let alone win either……….he was a 2 mile horse who beat some less talented animals over 2 1/2 miles.

shaund10
    • Total Posts 101

fist, i seem to remember jessica harrington considering stepping moscow up if he got beaten in the tingle creek. but since he was the best at 2m, they saw no reason to try him over 3.

Do you think that if kauto star had won the 2006 queen mother, that we would ever have seen him over 3 miles?

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

I was sitting in the Guinness stand so KS fell right in front of me in the Champion Chase and I’ve often thought about how things could have turned out differently if that hadn’t happened.

He probably would have beaten Newmill had he jumped round and so maybe we would never have seen him over 3m never mind a Gold Cup.

• Total Posts 292

Kauto Star even at his tender age is a Superstar and miles bettrer than Best Mate ever was.

Why don’t you wait a couple of years with hindsight before saying that, because it is far from conclusive. KS has a beautiful running style in that he travels like a dream (albeit not in his last race) and then quickens. That has made him appear like a very good horse, perhaps better than he is. He hasn’t achieved as much as Best Mate and if Best Mate beat little, then KS has beaten nothing better.

here here all say what u think but maybe u shouldent compre ks to matey until he could win 3 goldcups ……………………………..

Viewing 7 posts - 86 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.