The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best Handicap race

Home Forums Horse Racing Best Handicap race

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Watching the Ebor, I race I love, had me thinking about which Handicap race (FLAT!!) was the ‘best’.

My personal favourites include the Lincoln, as it ushers in (or used to!) the start of the flat season proper. In 1984 I had a nice touch on Saving Mercy, having compiled a ‘handicap’ for a Sporting Life competition. I lost the competition but my handicap rating for Saving Mercy and the official mark were so far apart that she looked thrown in, as indeed subsequent events proved.

I also love some of the big sprints, Stewards Cup, Wokingham, Ayr Gold Cup, etc. Other favs include the Hunt Cup and the Northumberland Plate

The Ebor ranks highly but the best one, for me, is the Magnet Cup. Always held in the height of summer, on the best racecourse in the country, with big fields, talking horses, huge gambles and an annual draw conundrum. In short it has all the ingredients of the perfect handicap.

I don’t tend to bet on them but they are hugely entertaining and their value to UK racing is massive.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Sprints will never win me over frankly :(  

Nor will anything where the draw is a huge factor :angry:

The Ebor is possibly my favorite given that i like stayers and it is frequently won by pretty decent animals. comes at right time of season too, when the form has had time to develop a bit.

But the problem is…I never bloody win on it :angry:

<br>

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Cambridgeshire for me.

King Midas winning way back whenever it was, was a defining moment for me.

Colin

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Cesarewitch

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Yes, it has to be the Cesarewitch for me as well.

A unique race, with a wealth of history behind it, and some great training feats.

A proper horse race.  

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

Plate, Ebor, Ces – any or all.

Not quite in the same league but always find the Melrose (tomorrow) intriguing, it being a race for nascent, promising stayers

<br>

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

"nascent"……..not often you here that in horse-racing…….a very good word!!!:cool:

Colin

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Santa Anita Handicap no question ;)

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Not the Melbourne Cup, IS? ;)

After last year, the Ces for me too.

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

It all depends on the criteria for ‘best’.

I’d say the best h’caps are the ones which produce results that show the principals as being much further ahead of the handicapper than is generally realised and most of those take place in the first half of the season and usually by the middle of July.

The John Smith’s Cup usually takes a bit of beating in that respect.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Gareth makes a very good point – in terms of quality the Melbourne Cup is probably the top one.  But after Lava Man’s exploits the 3 in California top that.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.