The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best Christmas Films

Home Forums Lounge Best Christmas Films

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16405

Thanks Matron I’ve been looking for a new series to get stuck into until Peaky Blinders returns and Fargo sounds the kind of Black Comedy to take away the Winter blues and found it on Netflix so will give it a go.
    Read it is set in Calgary Alberta which is interesting for me as have cousins who live there… :good:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6783

@Triptych

Here is all the lists of “Fargo” – I have enjoyed them all and they are a very dark comedy!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802850/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Participant
    • Total Posts 16405

Thanks Matron..all now set for a BBT Christmas, Gavin and Stacey will have to go on hold.. :good: have a good one..Jac

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9201

I’d second that Fargo recommendation. Great.

As for Christmas films, It’s A Wonderful Life is fully deserving of its status.

Jim Carrey in The Grinch is excellent, a firm favourite in the Cormack house.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16405

Just catching up after watching all my recorded films and dramas over Christmas. The BBC three parter Christmas Carol was a bit off the beaten track but gave a new slant as to why Scrooge turned out the way he did.

Hope you had a good Christmas/New Year
    David and family watching all those old favs.

Thanks to all for the recommendations, still to catch up on Fargo looking forward to that…Jac :rose:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9140

I’m glad that Emilia has made a good Christmas film; I’m still suffering from GOT’s withdrawal symptoms, as I only got to see series 8 last month. Do like the occasional chick flick Christmas film. Hope the scary Christmas stuff is still on iplayer; I did avoid them at the time as I,too have never got over Lost Hearts and have to be careful what I watch as they tend to come back and haunt me, especially if I’m on my own and there’s a power cut! There are two temple like follies that I sometimes drive past; one by Loughborough and one near Durham, and they always make me think of Lost Hearts. I’ve just bought Scary Stories to tell in the dark, but, as yet, haven’t plucked up the courage to watch it….

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4511

Mum used to like Secretariat, and one I think she’d love would be DREAM HORSE which is due for release in April. About Dream Alliance who won the 2009 Welsh National and the villagers who had part ownership in him.

Thought the was a past topic about him, but couldn’t find it. :scratch:

Participant
    • Total Posts 16405

Secretariat is one of my favourites Neil along with Champions and Seabiscuit. :heart:

If you get a chance and haven’t seen it I would recommend Phar Lap an incredible story of triumph over adversity and I would challenge anyone
    Who didn’t shed a tear.

Not sure where you can watch it but Here is the official trailer and there is also a fascinating 45 minute documentary about him also available on You Tube I think you will find the link after the trailer has played..Jac

Participant
    • Total Posts 16405

Neil there was a documentary type film about the Dream Alliance partnership called Dark Horse released around 2015 I think it was discussed on here when it aired on TV.
    Here is a reminder and you can compare the real life syndicate with the actors who will play them in the film.. :good:

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4511

I remember watching Phar Lap sometime on TV but must have been in the 80’s haven’t seen it since then, but it is available through Amazon.

Also seen Champions when released starting John Hurt. He had some good roles in his life. . Also through Amazon, my one complaint about that film was that they didn’t show enough of the actual race, but I do have it on a DVD I bought a few years ago.

Secretariat and Sea Biscuit I have on Prime Video, as well as a DVD of Secretariat which was looped for mum so that if she woke up during the night, the would be something on for her.

Secretariat and Sea Biscuit also bought factual programs on them, on Prime

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4511

No national this year, but thanks to this conversation ordered both Champions and Phar Lap through Amazon so would have some good racing films to watch.

1981 Grand National where Bob Champion beat cancer to win the race will always be one of the races highlight for me. Not to mention Aldanti who had problems himself.

P.s had Spartan Missile that year, so betting wise not a good year, but some results are more than just money.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16405

The 1981 Grand National was the stuff of dreams wasn’t it Neil..triumph over adversity for man and horse and John Thorne on Spartan Missile at 54 an incredible performance.

Bob Champion is a regular at Newmarket Races and have often stood behind him whilst shouting my horses home…he’s probably deaf now. 😉 but a very nice guy.

Enjoy your films Neil I’m going to rake mine out as I know I have Secretatiat, Champions and Seabiscuit on DVD and I’m looking forward to the new Dream Alliance film very much..Jac :rose:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9140

Josh Gifford came to one of our racing clubs Grand National meetings and said they wanted the film to be much darker but in the end went for a slightly lighter version. I’ll never forget that race though; it was a particularly lovely spring day and I can still remember the sunlight streaming through the window. It could almost be yesterday….I watched a Desert Orchid documentary about his GC win on facebook the other night. Now, I get emotional about Dessie at the best of times but, as I’m trying to keep a lid on my emotions at the moment by making soup/dusting/doing pilates etc it really sent me over the top. Taking me back to what was a magical time in my life. Who’d’ve thought we’d ever be where we are now. At least I’ve got loads of dvd’s to watch. Unfortunate time for the Dream Alliance film to be released but hope it becomes one of the racing classics.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3369

Agree with Red Rum 77 – Scrooge (Alastair Sim).

All others are merely pale imitations.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5947

Pleased to report that Mark Gatiss has adapted another M R James ghost story – The Mezzotint, due to be aired on Christmas Eve. A cracking tale it is too

Features the elegant and handsome Rory Kinnear; rather surprisingly son of the roly-poly funny face-ache Roy Kinnear :yes:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 13000

Texas Chainsaw Santa

Apocalypse Noel

Christmasinator 27: Boxing Day

One Flew Over The Yuletide Nest

The warped fictious options are legion.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9140

There’s a Dickens ghost story on BBC4 now….

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.