The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

belmont stakes

Home Forums Horse Racing belmont stakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 60

how good it is that rags to riches managed to win the belmont stakes, the first filly to win the race in 102 years. thats an acheivement and a great peice of history. <br>well done to rags to riches.

i happily backed it today and was rewarded. <br>

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Brilliant race just like the Preakness.Thought fiving 5 lbs to the winner was the difference then on reflection she probably gave it back on the last turn. Two wide being worth at least one length.Derrick Smith and M.Tabor sure make an interesting couple.Bet they cleaned up on the tote at four to    one.

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8784

Yes, historical moment indeed. Equivalent of a filly lifting the Derby here (well, sort of).

Anyone think of any fillies that would have won our Derby if they’d been entereed/ran?

Oh So Sharp is an obvious candidate but would she have reeled in Slip Anchor?

Ouija Board?

non vintagenon vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Cape Verdi was sent off 11/4 favourite for the 1998 Derby.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/resu … _id=233668

She ran respectably in mid-division but was never the same horse again, only running twice more. I think it would be a very big ask.

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Salsabil would have held her own in her Derby year, I’m sure.

CarryOnRacing
    • Total Posts 48

Cormack, Ouija was the one that came into my head first as well, remember she did actually beat North Light by a length and a half in that year’s Arc. It’s definitely the best shout from recent times anyway.

A great performance by Rags To Riches last night particularly given the way she lost ground at the start by fiercely nodding coming out of the stalls.<br>

(Edited by CarryOnRacing at 3:25 pm on June 10, 2007)

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

…and Nick Mordin tipped her ;)

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from Maxilon 5 on 1:59 pm on June 10, 2007[br]Salsabil would have held her own in her Derby year, I’m sure.<br>

Case in point she beat the Epsom Derby winner Quest for Fame in the Irish equivalent.<br>But she was absoluetly thumped in the Arc, which show her limitations.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

Salsabil didn’t give her running in the Arc.

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Quote: from guskennedy on 6:09 pm on June 10, 2007[br]Salsabil didn’t give her running in the Arc.

Agreed.

Also Nijinsky, Generous, and Troy were all better than their Arc runs… each one was rated superior to their Longchamp conqueror… it’s a long,hard season.

Add Balanchine to Salsabil’s name, as she (Balanchine)mixed it with the boys in the Irish Derby and won.

(Edited by ClintM at 7:22 pm on June 10, 2007)

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Generous never ran again after the King George until the Arc, then after he is put firmly in his place by Suave Dancer & co, connections come out with an excuse, we should have given him a prep race [ they deliberately didn’t run him, to freshen him up for the Arc], if they gave him a prep race and was similary thumped in the Arc, they would have come up with the excuse, he had too much racing. Suave Dancer was Generous superior and should have been rated higher. Generous more or less got first run in the Irish Derby, justice was done in the Arc and Suave Dancers victory in the Irish Champion suggests he possesed a lot more speed than Generous.<br>As for Salasabil not giving her running in the Arc, a narrow defeat of Deploy in the Irish Derby hardly superb form, she also had a rather fortunate victory in the vermeille, as for her narrow victory in the Guineas from a Stoute filly [ cant think of the name of the horse,just now ] anyway the Stoute filly turned out to be pretty useless.<br>The moral of the story, Salsabil was overrated.<br>As for Nijinsky beaten shorthead in the Arc nothing wrong with that.

If my memory serves me Troy ran a damb good race in the Arc.

(Edited by madman marz at 8:06 pm on June 10, 2007)<br>

(Edited by madman marz at 8:34 pm on June 10, 2007)

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Generous most certainly did run in the ’91 Arc, but was a shadow of the horse that beat Suave Dancer at The Curragh – horses aren’t machines. And, according the official handicapper, timeform and – for what it’s worth- myself, Generous was the better horse.

Troy ran 3rd in the Arc , but earlier form suggests that he was better than Three Troikas – again, timeform agree.

(Edited by ClintM at 8:28 pm on June 10, 2007)<br>

(Edited by ClintM at 8:42 pm on June 10, 2007)

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Quote: from ClintM on 8:26 pm on June 10, 2007[br]Generous most certainly did run in the ’91 Arc, but was a shadow of the horse that beat Suave Dancer at The Curragh – horses aren’t machines. And, according the official handicapper, timeform and – for what it’s worth- myself, Generous was the better horse.

Troy ran 3rd in the Arc , but earlier form suggests that he was better that Three Troikas – again, timeform agree.

(Edited by ClintM at 8:28 pm on June 10, 2007)<br>

Cartier disagree Clint, as do I, as they awarded Suave Dancer the Champion European 3yo colt.<br>

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

I suppose we could go back and forth all day – great this racing game isn’t it ?

<br>

DroneDrone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5108

Aye, Ouija Board, Balanchine and Salsabil would seem to hold the strongest claims in recent years.

Slip Anchor would have been sternly tested by Oh So Sharp and equally so by Triptych, particularly as she subsequently won two Coronation Cups over CD and had beaten the colts in the Irish 2000.

Time Charter would have held strong claims against Golden Fleece, and so bad (relatively speaking) were Shaamit and Benny the Dip that ‘Henry’ may well have had two Derby winners with Lady Carla and Reams of Verse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.