The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

SPOTY

Home Forums Lounge SPOTY

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 403

Cricket?

• Total Posts 433

racing is hardly a minority sport, its the second largest spectator sport in the uk and the sixth largest industry [whats left of it] in the uk,

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Jensen Button anyone?

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

Having just read this thread, I think, you can’t have a jockey as the sports personality of the year because the horse does most of the work, and the horse would not be very good at making an acceptance speach.

For me it would be the captain of the England ladies cricket team.

• Total Posts 1800

No Corm, I don’t think he’s good enough to win the F1 title unless his team can keep the 1 second plus advantage they have all season, which they won’t.

Murray is fav at 3.75 which is shocking odds considering he is 7/2 to win Wimbledon and if he wins that the SPOTY is his.

I think the best speculative bet at this time has to be David Haye at 16s as if he wins his next fight he is a home grown genuine world heavyweight champion and boxers of this ilk get fair recognition at the SPOTY awards – Calzaghe, Lewis and McGuigan won it for similar or less feats and Bruno, Hatton and others placed.

If Haye wins his next fight which he will be layable at about 2/1, his price will tumble dramatically to probable favouritism and if he takes on and beats the other Klitschko before the awards, it’ll be a done deal as he”l have the undisputed titles.

Back Haye at 16s and lay him for his next fight at 2ish for a free bet?

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 478

racing is hardly a minority sport, its the second largest spectator sport in the uk and the sixth largest industry [whats left of it] in the uk,

Most people go racing for a day out but the majority of people on a racecourse are not what you could call fans or followers of the sport in the way other sports are followed.

• Total Posts 2432

Most people go racing for a day out but the majority of people on a racecourse are not what you could call fans or followers of the sport in the way other sports are followed.

A debatable comment. Can you clarify?.

I’d probably agree with you from May 9th to August 4th, where the Beckhamite pop idolists in appear en masse to swell the Levy, (thank the lord), but yesterday at Southwell, while you could easily get a beer, it was a real struggle to get a comfortable slot on paddockside and the stands were well filled during the racing.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

By comparison to Football and Rugby (League and Union), I would say everything is a minority sport, horseracing is a minority sport, but not as much as some of the others which regularly feature in sports personality.

How many people in the UK actually follow cycling or rowing for example?

I agree that it is a sport more about betting however, and due to the fact that you need to be a midget to compete, jockeying possibly isnt the most competetive sport. However I still think McCoy has excelled at what he does, and deserves recognition.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

No Corm, I don’t think he’s good enough to win the F1 title unless his team can keep the 1 second plus advantage they have all season, which they won’t.

Murray is fav at 3.75 which is shocking odds considering he is 7/2 to win Wimbledon and if he wins that the SPOTY is his.

I think the best speculative bet at this time has to be David Haye at 16s as if he wins his next fight he is a home grown genuine world heavyweight champion and boxers of this ilk get fair recognition at the SPOTY awards – Calzaghe, Lewis and McGuigan won it for similar or less feats and Bruno, Hatton and others placed.

If Haye wins his next fight which he will be layable at about 2/1, his price will tumble dramatically to probable favouritism and if he takes on and beats the other Klitschko before the awards, it’ll be a done deal as he”l have the undisputed titles.

Back Haye at 16s and lay him for his next fight at 2ish for a free bet?

Can`t believe you can compare what David Haye may do against what Joe Calzhaghe actually achieved. Similar or less feats. What a load of Tosh. Not in the same class as Big Joe

• Total Posts 2432

Watched some F1 on sunday. When I tuned in, there was a queue of cars, each waiting to get into a garage to have some tyres changed. Lots of mechanics waited about. There was an earnest discussion about tyre types. Some cars drove round.

I was reminded of that classic “Malcolm in the Middle” episode where Hal and the boys go to watch NASCAR racing. They’ve got the popcorn, the cold drinks, the sun visors, the clipboards. Hal’s excited at the opportunity for some masculine family bonding. The boys are not so sure. Cut to another scene involving Mom at work. Adverts.

Cut back to the NASCAR track. The boys are fast asleep, the noise of the cars is audible in the background. Hal has sunburn. He mops his brow, tired. You think a couple of hours have gone by. The camera focuses on Hal’s lap counter mounted on his clipboard; it’s the end of Lap One.

The BBC is an absolute national disgrace spending that amount of money on this event with no consultation.[/size:ucq70ojv]

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2171

Zara Phillips won it in 2006.

i suggest that says most of what you need to know about it.

-Andrea-
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1

Jensen Button anyone?

i could possibly agree with you on this one

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

If they swapped Jensen Button with Chris Martin do you think that anyone would notice?

• Total Posts 1800

Jenson might not win another GP this year.

I still say it’s dependent on either Murray winning Wimbledon or Haye becoming Heavyweight champion and possibly undisputed (as opposed to Bruno’s one belt).

Calzaghe did great but he was perfectly managed and matched and like it or not, a proper recognized heavyweight title carries the kudos.

Mind you, if Murray wins Wimbledon and Haye wins the titles….Murray would still get it, hands down.

• Total Posts 1537

I hope there’s a power cut on the night so nobody has to listen to any of them.

• Total Posts 4293

I think Victoria Pendleton should get it for what she has already achieved in retaining her Women’s Sprint Champion status at the World Track Championships recently.

She was the only Olympic Gold Medallist from any country in 2004 or 2008 to win a Gold Medal at the following year’s World Championships.

The way she started crying after she thought she had lost her title must have had everyone who was watching welling up as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Jenson might not win another GP this year.

I still say it’s dependent on either Murray winning Wimbledon or Haye becoming Heavyweight champion and possibly undisputed (as opposed to Bruno’s one belt).

Calzaghe did great but he was perfectly managed and matched and like it or not, a proper recognized heavyweight title carries the kudos.

Mind you, if Murray wins Wimbledon and Haye wins the titles….Murray would still get it, hands down.

Think your living in the past with the greatest respect. The demand on box office these days is for the middle/welterweights et al. What price would you like about Haye?

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.