BBC Climate Change – The Facts

Home Forums Lounge BBC Climate Change – The Facts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

Fact is this programme is a lie.
    A lie in that Climate Change being primarily man made may be very probably true – and yes we should change some of our ways in case – but there are some climate experts that disagree; including Jeremy Corbyn’s brother Piers. Therefore to call them “the facts” is both a lie and irresponsible. Only giving us a worst possible scenario, on any other subject would be called scare mongering.

They also deliberately concentrated the whole programme on only the last 100 years and did not point out that we know (including the scientists featured on the programme – “know”) the earth has warmed and cooled several times in its history… And even the last 100 years has had decades within it of global cooling.

value is everything
    TheKryptonFactorTheKryptonFactor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 924

I can’t pretend to be surprised. The BBC has become, increasingly in recent years, a hive of political activism rather than balanced broadcasting (which, at least with the exception of foreign policy, it is supposed to be).

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2149

To be fair to the BBC it was Sir David Attenborough who presented the show, a climate change activist. Sir David, at his age, who seems to remain in good health, will not be around that much longer, either presenting or in life. He is trying his best to make people listen and what better way than presenting a programme on the most watched TV channel in Britain.

Yes warmed and cooled over thousands of years. That’s why they concentrated on the last 100 years GT because although they can’t be perfectly sure, they believe climate change has never been so rapid. This is pretty much off the scale and if warming at the same rate over the next 1,000 years humankind and most other life will not be in existence. But I’m alright Jack so why bother :wacko:

GingertipsterGingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26354

because although they can’t be perfectly sure, they believe climate change has never been so rapid. This is pretty much off the scale and if warming at the same rate over the next 1,000 years humankind and most other life will not be in existence.

But that’s not what the programme said, Homer.
    It made out they were “perfectly sure”.
    It said nothing about “believe”ing climate change has never been so rapid. They instead portrayed it as fact.
    Yes, “IF warming at the same rate”. Making out it is a fact warming will continue at the same rate – if not a higher rate – may be probable, but it is not a fact.

Programme title “Climate Change – The Facts”; they were not facts and therefore the programme was based on a lie and extremely misleading.

value is everything
    homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2149

“perfectly sure” “believe”ing. This is my opinion GT. I’m no scientist. They may KNOW Climate change has never been so rapid and will continue to be so unless we do something about it.

Red Rum 77Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1220

In my younger days they talked about a coming ice age. Then it suddenly changed to global warming. Myself I’m skeptical about it been man made but let’s say the experts are right and we in the developed countries sort ourselves out & started doing what’s right for the planet. The still the undeveloped countries, and now they saying go vegan to stop climate change.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8786

If you haven’t seen it already would recommend …
    Simon Reeve .. Indian Ocean
    Not so much about climate change more about the destruction of our Planet by overfishing, the cutting down of trees, prawn farming that has ruined the soil by flooding land with salt water so that rice can no longer be grown and the horrific destruction of sharks for their fins to make shark fin soup.
    Wherever he journeyed the big powers such as China were planning ports and projects to eat up the land and take away the livelihood of those that live there.
    He isn’t afraid to visit the front line of war torn areas to talk to the people living the horror about their personal experiences.

Since stumbling across these programmes on iPlayer I’ve become a big fan of Simon Reeve and his travels to Columbia amongst the drug lords and the Islands of the Carribean including Haiti and the terrible troubles in Honduras. He brings a refreshing in depth no frills look at the parts of the oceans and their beautiful islands that the tourists never see…Jac :rose:

and….
    What’s the point in trying to do something about climate change if our Planet is slowly being destroyed. :-(

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    raymo61raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4592

The destruction of the planet is not a new thing! Gerald Durrell was telling us fifty years ago that this was going to happen.
    It is my opinion that humans have’t helped the situation but it may be a natural phenomena that makes the cooling and warming go on!
    We talk about action and reaction and pollution but surely and I mean this most earnestly until the USA and China reduce their emissions for industry then we are on a rocky road.
    I feel sorry for the future generations who will have to deal with the consequences of this even though nobody is certain what those consequences are :scratch: :scratch:

paulostermeyerpaulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4560

Jac,

I have to agree with you re Simon Reeve – he is one of the best broadcasters around and his documentaries make you think – the guy seems to have little fear and he’s not afraid to ask the questions which should be asked.

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8786

Paul
    I’m totally hooked on everything he does and as you say he has no fear.

When he travelled out to meet and investigate the drug lords I felt he was a sitting duck as he was taken to meet some armed drug dealer/addicts in a secret place who were slowly going off their heads on drugs they had taken they then became very aggressive towards Simon and his team and started to demand money, needless to say they had to beat a very hasty retreat.

Currently watching his travels around Australia :good:

MatronMatron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5677

@Jac

The Australian series was a bit of an eye-opener as well with Simon Reeve.

I will wait for your comments after you have watched all the episodes.

befairbefair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1032

The science of climate change is complicated, so we have to rely on experts to translate for us; the vast majority of scientists agree that man-made factors are significant. I am sure that there are some vested interests on this side, but these are totally outweighed by the vast influence of the fossil fuel industry. And just at a time when we need a global approach to these global challenges, we have Trump and Brexit and nationalism and fear of the outsider. We really are leaving a **** world to our children and grandchildren

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8786

@matron
    Just watched the final episode of Simon Reeve in Australia and have to say once again he did not disappoint and finally found one thing that he looked uncomfortable with and that was the deadly Cane Toad that can kill a Python within 4 seconds of entering its mouth. Later he was quite happy(ish) to paddle in shallow waters with deadly Box Jellyfish.

On the Great Barrier reef 8if was the starfish Crown Of Thorns that was wiping out the Coral and had to be destroyed. Add to this the Saltwater crocodiles and the Camels that had been intruduced and now roam the outback in herds and have to be sadly culled.
    The Aussies have their work cut out bagging and dispatching animals introduced mainly by man to conteract other disruptive creatures it makes you wonder if nature should just be left to do her own work.

The most worrying aspect was the loss of fertile land for the mining of minerals and the super tankers that had to be guided through the Great Barrier Reef laden with coal sometimes only 12 inches above sea bottom.

Once again Simon Reeve has come up with the stories that no one else wants to tell and the one super power whose name is always at the heart of the destruction…China…Jac :rose:

Blackcountry Kid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23

Having just joined the forum only came across this a few minutes ago.
    First I believe the ‘powers that be’ at the BBC have declared that ‘it’s happening,full stop,no discussion and anyone with an alternate view isn’t allowed’.
    Remember the 2015 Paris conference in which Obama & others declared that the previous year was the hottest year on record?
    Tucked away in an appendix of said report,I seem to recall there were 5 or 6,is the little reported fact that the people responsible for the alarming news they were so willing to share of the world’s ending was that they were only 39% sure it was the hottest year …which means they were 61% sure it wasn’t but decided to go for the headlines without presenting a balanced view.
    And these people having stopped shouting since which is typical in my view of extremists who hold their views by choice and deny any others a view declaring theirs to be the only valid one.
    This you will find to be a general case for extremists whatever cause they happen to be on.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2149

Whether 2014 was the warmest doesn’t make any difference whatsoever. At the time they believed it was. Now it is the fifth warmest on record after 2016, 2015, 2017 and 2018. Of the last 22 years, 20 of the years have been the warmest on record. Global warming is happening and at a fast rate – probably at a faster rate than at any time in the Earth’s history. To me there is only one explanation for this – the Industrial Revolution and what has happened since. IMO this has to be man-made.

Yes there are extremists predicting the world will end within a generation, but most of this stuff is from Independent Scientists. Very few, if any, scientists have the view that Global warming is not happening but some believe this is a natural rather than man-made progression.

And these people having stopped shouting since which is typical in my view of extremists who hold their views by choice and deny any others a view declaring theirs to be the only valid one.

And one of the loudest as usual is President Trump who is a CC denier. Remember that Twitter post last winter in which the States had a few weeks of cold weather/heavy snowfall in which he said something along the lines of “Who believes in Global warming now?” Laughable :wacko:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.