The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Baroness Scotland Affair

Home Forums Lounge Baroness Scotland Affair

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

Clearly people responsible for law-making should be beyond reproach when it comes to obeying the law and should do the honourable thing when found out ,but I can’t help thinking Gordon Brown would do himself a lot of favours with his reported many doubters if he just told the blood hungry media who are endlessly driving this story :

‘ ……get off my back, I have made my decision for the reasons I have made it,I am the boss and its my call,if the electorate think its a big deal there is an election coming up…………the government run the country not the newspapers’.

I don’t know what the alternative is to getting people in public life to do the right thing but I hate,hate,hate the poo stirring,hounding out nature of the media over stories like these and the way it seems everyone, even prime ministers have to play their game to avoid being destroyed.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Baroness Scotland is a toff, that made a mistake, they pay a paltry fine and just get another servant .. she should resigned, incompetent is a bit of an understatement.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

Baroness Scotland is a toff, that made a mistake, they pay a paltry fine and just get another servant .. she should resigned, incompetent is a bit of an understatement.

…..Er,not many toffs were raised in Walthamstow by immigrant parents.
    Don’t let the Baroness nonsense fool you,its just the governments way of getting unelected people into the jobs that elected MPs used to get given………………Its possibly even more sleazy,undemocratic and objectionable than the days when you had to line the governments pockets to get a title and a moneyspinning meal ticket to the Lords in that these increasing numbers of unelected members of the government are harder to hold to account or get rid of.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I don’t know what this story is.

I heard a song, Allelujah, or Hallelujah, a couple of days ago, and there was some mention of it having been a Christmas Number 1. Had never heard it before. Was it the Christmas Number 1 in 2008?

Let me know if another war breaks out, will you? Thankyou.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

She has no defence at all in this case – she was the minister responsible for seeing the particular piece of legislation through – so she cannot claim ignorance or technical breach.

She has been convicted of an offence which makes her position as Attorney General untenable.

Her background is irrelevant.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Don’t let the Baroness nonsense fool you,its just the governments way of getting unelected people into the jobs that elected MPs used to get given

.. I think the term for it is positive discrimination, like where someone gets a job that they can’t do because of their back ground.

Gerald .. wtf !!
    :D

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

.. I think the term for it is positive discrimination, like where someone gets a job that they can’t do because of their back ground.

No,wrong again IMO.

Positive discrimination is what YOU are describing,I’m certainly not.

Unelected members of the government has nothing to do with that for me but IS symptomatic of what little democracy we have disappearing.

I 100% agree that her or anyone else’s background is irrelevant.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

I heard a song, Allelujah, or Hallelujah, a couple of days ago, and there was some mention of it having been a Christmas Number 1. Had never heard it before. Was it the Christmas Number 1 in 2008?

It was.

X-Factor

winner Alexandra Burke’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s "Allelujah" was Christmas Number 1 last year, beating off competition from Tim Buckley’s superior version of mid-90s vintage.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1747

It was.

X-Factor

winner Alexandra Burke’s cover of Leonard Cohen’s "Allelujah" was Christmas Number 1 last year, beating off competition from Tim Buckley’s superior version of mid-90s vintage.

gc

Was it not Jeff Buckley , Tim’s son, who recorded the mid 90’s version although it has to be said if Tim had recorded the song it would have been as spine tingling as his offsprings effort.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Course it was Jeff, my error! It’s been a long week…

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Thanks for the enlightenment, chaps and chapesses.

Now time to get back on-thread.

Erm, what Baroness Scotland Affair?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

I agree with Paul and others. You can’t make a law, break it and then say "it’s not that important, bit like a parking ticket really" – position untenable.

Anyway, she will be leaving her job as will the rest of the shower by the time the next flat season starts so bearing in mind they only have the forthcoming jumps season to keep their noses in the trough and their clasping hands in your and my pockets, you can’t expect them to walk away just yet.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

"The former housekeeper to Attorney General Baroness Scotland has claimed the peer never asked to see her passport before giving her a job."

bang goes the defence of the AG and the PM?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8276954.stm

….and what’s this about allowances?:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/p … 850867.ece

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Thankyou Wit.

On the latter story, what I don’t understand about these so called scandals involving MPs’ or Ministers’ expenses, is that it is the politician that comes under the spotlight and gets the blame, rather than those who sanction the payments.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

isn’t it MPs / politicians who sanction the payments to themselves?

on the basis:

a) that they are supposed to be honourable, and

b) that Parliament is meant to be independent of external influence via anyone else holding its purse strings ?

add in the politicisation of the civil service and it becomes a snout-in-trough paradise.

…..and then they all blame "the system" – "i’m as angry as everyone else that the system has allowed me to do these things and i call for its immediate reform".

its certainly come to something when there’s no ready answer to the question: who do you believe – an illegal immigrant or the Attorney General and the Prime Minister ?

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

"The former housekeeper to Attorney General Baroness Scotland has claimed the peer never asked to see her passport before giving her a job."

bang goes the defence of the AG and the PM?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8276954.stm

….and what’s this about allowances?:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/p … 850867.ece

Just to complete the farce the unmistakable stench of the involvement of the truly contemptible parasite Max Clifford in the story ‘acting’ for the housekeeper to help her cash in as much as possible on the story.

For me slimy Clifford and his poo stirring antics symbolise much of what I hate about the ‘media’ and on a personal level his ‘who me guv?’ demeanour makes want to kick the TV in.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

….. I can’t help thinking Gordon Brown would do himself a lot of favours with his reported many doubters if he just told the blood hungry media who are endlessly driving this story :

‘ ……get off my back, I have made my decision for the reasons I have made it,I am the boss and its my call,if the electorate think its a big deal there is an election coming up…………the government run the country not the newspapers’.

I don’t know what the alternative is to getting people in public life to do the right thing but I hate,hate,hate the poo stirring,hounding out nature of the media ……

that’s surely the point – who else have you got speaking up against the smug, incompetent and corrupt government ?

i don’t understand why Brits are still taking everything thrown at them by such dross politicians and public sector ?

is it that by today’s Brit standards they really are all regarded as enlightened geniuses ?

…and is it really enough for you to vote them out at the end of the term, leave them unpunished for what they’ve done while in office, and hand them more money afterwards for life?

apparently you’ve all been declared a bunch of paedos now – bureaucrats/politicians want to destroy one of the last real chances for all the abuse that takes place within the family to be found out – i see that horifically abused kids have been seen 60 / 70 times by official services who have still never twigged::

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8277378.stm

why do you keep taking this carp?

after the last 12 years the UK now seems lost for honest and decent folk for maybe a couple of generations, both economically and in terms of social order – and that’s assuming the next lot can achieve an immediate turnaround in the relationship between state and individual.

bureaucracy and surveillance is easy to install and difficult to remove.

so in practice, who apart from Max – whatever his own motives may be in terms of collecting money for himself – is actually doing anything about it ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.