The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Porterstown 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Porterstown 2020

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2944

Marathon test on Sunday and a pretty open contest. Hills as usual have opened early and are paying 6 places. Brace Yourself is one i fancied for the Troytown before not running, and i’d give him a chance here for all 3m5 is a different proposition. He ran ok the last day behind Pencilfulloflead. The horse that interests me the most is Court Maid who Brace Yourself finished in front of that day. She did making promising headway before tying up. It’s been made very clear by her trainer that she does not want testing ground and is really a good ground mare. So step forward the promising forecast and stay that way! It’s soft now and hopefully it will continue to dry out, there’s only 2 chases before this race + one of them is the minute field of the Drinmore. I’ve been very impressed with her over fences especially when winning easily at this track in October.

She’s 11/1 with 6 places at Hills.

I’ll wait for Brace Yourself and see what price he is with others, that also counts for Captain CJ.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17320

I was hoping that Treaceysenniscorthy would sneak in Jack, but finds himself a reserve.

I’ll have my usual bet on General Principle, but looking at this trio at the moment…..

Voix Des Tiep 14’s
    Scoir Mear 16’s
    Cooldine Bog 33’s

I’ll look again tomorrow

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 275

Monbeg Notorious got into the winning groove last year, and considering how well he was regarded, I think he could still be well handicapped, and I think he could be my only one here

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 574

Chavi Artist + Stacks Mountain for me.

Chavi Artist around 11-1 would be my main fancy + I think that he’ll run a big race.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17320

Chavi Artist an interesting one Buckers.

I’ve taken Treaceysenniscorthy at 12’s, in case he sneaks in.

Treaceysenniscorthy 12’s

Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 466

I’ll be with Milan Native and High Sparrow here.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3612

Trainer sounded positive about Dromore Lad but it’s a big rise for a small horse and I’m going to desert him.

With a big pot on offer, if Mullins only throws one dart you know it’s going to be a well sharpened one; but Voix des Tiep just gives me the impression of a sub graded horse that they don’t really know what to do with so they’re trying to turn him into a staying handicapper, a bit like the failed experiment with Voix du Reve. Nothing about his career to date or breeding makes me think this trip is going to make him a star. I suspect Stones and Roses would have been the one, had the ground been softer.

No strong feelings about this so I’ll put my ew peanuts on the old lags Dounikos and Death Duty, who had a nice stroll and a fag in the Troytown together and should have got some of the beef off.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 335

Brace Yourself is my main hope here, but I’m definitely adding Chavi Artist at 10/1 just now as well.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17320

Grass, I was desperate for Stones and Roses to get in here, but just too low in the weights sadly.

Surely wins a decent pot this year.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4824

The Irish handicapper seems to work in a different way to the GB handicapper, so I find my figures are more spread out for Irish races. Problem is two fold, firstly the fields are bigger in Ireland so more ‘hidden performances’ and secondly there are so few extended distance handicap chases that it can be a guess as to which horses are going stay.

Top few are:

Cooldine Bog 175
    Scoir Mear 174
    Stacks Mountain 163
    Prospectus 163
    Death Duty 163

Of those COOLDINE BOG looks very interesting at 50/1 in places. Not disgraced behind easy winner The Jam Man last time(three miles, big field, plenty behind him), generally consistent before that and has been staying on at the end of three mile contests.

STACKS MOUNTAIN is 20/1 and worth an interest. He was disappointing at Galway but came back with an injury on his coronet. From a friend’s experience I know horses need a while for such an injury to heel but they can be brought back to win. This one is a 7yo as is the first mentioned, has run some decent races and hints that the distance will help.

Those are the two I’d favour but with shortest price of the five (Scoir Mear 14/1) there’s scope for splitting stake over a number against the field. I’ve used the method successfully in big field handicaps in the past.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3612

Super job Jack with the tricast!! And another one you’ve followed, Forza Milan, coming 4th. Brilliant stuff.
    My two gave their conditionals a nice spin round. Milan Native slightly disappointing though I suspect he may not be fully revved up till spring.

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2944

Thanks GAG!!

About 3 out I was saying watch Forza win the day I’m not on! Great performance from Court Maid. She’s a classy mare given her conditions.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17320

Well done Jack

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.