The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Barnfield on Air

Home Forums General Sports Barnfield on Air

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

have just been reading about this greyhound; having missed out on seeing Westmead Hawk run due to injury I would love to see this this guy – he looks like something very special….

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Moe, were you reading the supplement in The Observer? I love the bit where the trainer (Ithink) says he went off so fast he nearly caught the bunny on the second bend!! Great stuff and what a record for a dog :shock:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

yes, still stick with The Observer even though their racing coverage is pretty dire! Ever since I saw a stuffed, flea bitten Mick the Miller in the Natural History Museum I’ve wanted to see a real live greyhound superstar – Westmead Hawk was going to race at Nottingham and I was so excited about it, but he had to be retired…sounds as though the draw is quite important for him, but he seems to be 8/1 for the Greyhound Derby….

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Shall we have a few quid on just in case? :D

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

was told which trap to back last year, only to change my mind at the last minute because Tanya had tipped one with a really big price! think a couple of quid wouldn’t go amiss on this one, but I’ll keep quiet about it. Most Observer readers probably won’t be rushing to Ladbrokes in the morning….

FanciedHorseLayer
    • Total Posts 2753

BOA is a wonderful dog,and i had the pleasure of watching him live when breaking the track record at Coventry,when you knew as he thundered to the first bend you were about to witness something special
    Derby is a long way off though but if he goes to Wimbledon in the same form he finished last year off will take a lot of beating.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

Iis he likely ro race up north? ….

FanciedHorseLayer
    • Total Posts 2753

Is being targeted for 3 Derbys in 2008…Scottish,English and Irish!

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Barnfield On Air is a sensational dog, to do what he has achieved at his age is amazing (track records wise).

I’ve seen him win 5 or 6 times now and the only worry I have is that he has done his winning in the same style. He traps well from the boxes and practically puts the race to bed within the first 50 metres, such as his speed from the boxes.

I’m not sure if he has ever missed the break, or what would happen if he did – is he capable of slicing through the field like Westmead Hawk did or will he treat the race completely differently and mess about – maybe FHL can answer that for us. But perhaps it’s a worry not worth getting worried about, as he is so fast in those early metres.

Can’t wait to see him on Sky again – a great dog.

Mike

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Just to add, Spiridon Louis is not a bad dog either – I think I’m right in thinking that he pipped BOA to the prestigious Greyhound of the Year award.

Mike

FanciedHorseLayer
    • Total Posts 2753

Greyhound of year has not been decided yet,but its a match between BOA and Spiridon,but Barnfield is a hot favourite
    Re style of running BOA has to lead,as doubt if he can come from behind against derby class greyhounds

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

so I presume he’ll need to be drawn on the inside? I havn’t got sky,so if he’s likely to be running in a race when I can get to a bookies to watch it could anyone let me know? thanks…

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

so I presume he’ll need to be drawn on the inside? I havn’t got sky,so if he’s likely to be running in a race when I can get to a bookies to watch it could anyone let me know? thanks…

Not necessarily Moe – again FHL will know more about this than me, but I’ve seen BOA win from any trap. Most of those races I’ve seen he has been housed in either 2,3 or 4 (I stand corrected).

His pace is so electrifying that it makes littled difference where he starts from, he normally shoots to the front and he drives the bends superbly. I would say the middles traps are ideal for him, but trap 1, or traps 5 or 6 wouldn’t be a significant disadvantage.

You will only see him in your bookies if the shop shows Sky Sports coverage. It’s very unlikely he will appear on BEGS cards that get shown in the bookies.

Better still, here is some footage for you to get excited about;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zSP3KsfFb9E
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sbqy85XFcVE

Mike

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Better still, here is some footage for you to get excited about;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zSP3KsfFb9E
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sbqy85XFcVE

:shock:

Some frightening early pace there! Could his style be more different to that of the Hawk?

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this dog, all the real greyhound fans I speak to think very highly of him. Obviously he’s AP favourite for the Derby, but I’d always be a bit concerned about backing a railer who has to make the break before I’d seen the draw for the final.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

He is completely different to ‘The Hawk’ Friggo.

BOA almost certainly needs to do it from the front. He is without doubt the fastest dog in training today (at his trip) and if he leads at the first bend it’s all over.

Like you so rightly say though Friggo, a very fast starter inside BOA would make it very interesting. If BOA slightly misses it, and the inside dog can pace up with him, it could spell danger at the first bend.

I’m a big softy though and love to see champions become legends – bearing in mind greyhounds only race at their peak for about 2 or 3 years, I would love to see BOA win a few Derbys both this year and next.

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.