The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Barney Curley, El Tiger

Home Forums Horse Racing Barney Curley, El Tiger

Viewing 10 posts - 106 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    no idea
    • Total Posts 685

Good riddance.
    Racing is better without his ilk.

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

I agree. I’m a million miles from being a form book knocker, but no one obfuscated form like he did. Good riddance.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 916

John McCririck will be cracking open a bottle of champagne tonight, now that his old enemy is calling it a day.

Extra lobster at The Ivy for him on Saturday…

ivanjicaivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

I never really got what Curley was all about. On the one hand he presented himself as a self styled "punter’s pal" in the mid-80s and yet he to my eyes at least he seemed hell bent on putting punters away as often has he could where his own horses were concerned.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

I know that many will criticise me for this view, but he is a master at what he does, in my view.
    Whilst the handicap system (which I disagree with) is open to manipulation by horses being placed to not necessarily be at their optimum / run over inappropriate trips etc.
    What is he guilty of doing, that many other more lauded trainers also do ?
    Although many perceive him to be , not to their taste, I would rather him, than a wolf in sheeps clothing.
    If not mistaken, I think I have a distant memory of Andy Stringer rescuing a horse from a flooded river. If so, good on him too.

ivanjicaivanjica
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

I know that many will criticise me for this view, but he is a master at what he does, in my view.
    Whilst the handicap system (which I disagree with) is open to manipulation by horses being placed to not necessarily be at their optimum / run over inappropriate trips etc.
    What is he guilty of doing, that many other more lauded trainers also do ?
    Although many perceive him to be , not to their taste, I would rather him, than a wolf in sheeps clothing.
    If not mistaken, I think I have a distant memory of Andy Stringer rescuing a horse from a flooded river. If so, good on him too.

I wouldn’t disagree with what you say, however what got people’s goats up was his ego driven claims to be a "punter’s pal", which he clearly wasn’t. He was out for number one. Nothing wrong with that if that’s what really floats his boat, but he did start to come across as rather disingenuous especially when he resorted to bully boy tactics to try to stop the media (the ATR team in particular)from calling into question the ride one of his horses was given, a ride which no doubt cost a lot of armchair punters their hard earned.

HimselfHimself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

But he was right about Luke Harvey. :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1205

Good riddance and frankly i didnt like him either. Humourless and self important. wnker

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1234

I agree that his self – styled "punters pal" is a load of nonsense. In my view though, he was very good at manipulating his charges handicap ratings in the interests of his connections.
    Is this not exactly why we / the press etc both in this country and abroad where they have handicap racing extol the virtues of certain trainers ?
    If your face fits ?

robert99robert99
    Participant
    • Total Posts 897

The most able trainer and punter in living memory.
    Honest, frank and would not suffer the fools that abound in racing.
    Done more for charity in Africa than many are aware.
    Racing perhaps for the first time is now totally free of a single personality with character.

Viewing 10 posts - 106 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.