The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ascot off Wednesday – transferred to Kempton??

Home Forums Horse Racing Ascot off Wednesday – transferred to Kempton??

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Hearing that Kempton was taking over Ascot’s card on Wednesday I thought good idea, they can use the grass hurdles track, but no its on the all weather :?: a totally different surface than advertised.

I know its left-handed but why couldn’t they have moved the meeting down the road to Newbury?

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

Who gets to show this then do Racing UK get a bonus or do ATR get the rights as it is an Ascot card or do both get to broadcast it?

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

Hearing that Kempton was taking over Ascot’s card on Wednesday I thought good idea, they can use the grass hurdles track, but no its on the all weather :?: a totally different surface than advertised.
    I know its left-handed but why couldn’t they have moved the meeting down the road to Newbury?

Far too logical but Newbury often has waterlogging problems during spells of heavy and prolonged rain so it might not be any better a bet.
    Kempton’s turf track is usually very fast draining and it does seem crazy to have yet another all-weather meeting when they could have given the turf a go. Still, got to admire their enterprise in at least trying to salvage something, especially with another southern meeting at Folkestone on Thursday already off and the rain due to return with a vengeance tomorrow.
    It’s going to be on both Racing UK and At The Races. Ascot would have been shown on ATR but Kempton would have had RUK coverage. Sounds like they are sharing coverage as both could make a case for having the new card to themselves.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Would Newbury have been able to guarantee their track would be raceable?

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

Would Newbury have been able to guarantee their track would be raceable?

Exactly the point, given what seems to be a dire weather forecast for tomorrow.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

It is raining again this morning.

There has been plenty of rain SW of London. Windsor was lost on Momday and Ascot on Wed. No guarantee that Newbury would be any better.

Seems an enterprising move to switch to the AW, even with reduced prize money

If anyone is at a loose end, admission to Kempton on Wed is free:-

http://kemptonpark.posterous.com/

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 917

Judging by the television pictures from Exeter on Daybreak today, showing the high level of the river, it’s a good job the racecourse is nowhere near there and is off the motorway at Haldon Hill.
    The clerk of the course says they will "give it a crack" at staging the meeting. We’ll see what happens.
    Leicester on Thursday is off, however, along with Folkestone.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5505

"The wettest April on record" with early May continuing in the same vein, in the South at least

Therefore the decision to transfer the card to Kempton AW is both sensible and to be applauded

Isn’t this contingency just what the AW is for?

In the unlikely event Newbury would be raceable I rather doubt they’d be keen to see their turf chewed up and chucked about with the Lockinge bash in the offing

Anyway I would rather see Flat bluebloods running on AW than bottomless turf: the Flat Pattern and Steeplechasing are different games

Spring Flat racing on bad ground is both a punters’ nightmare and an unedifying spectacle with the experience not infequently knocking a young horse’s confidence

Well done BHA

stodge
    • Total Posts 92

Morning all :)

This Ascot meeting has been lost a number of times in the past and what often happened was that the Sagaro went to Newmarket during the Guineas meeting.

On the broadcasting, Ascot races transferred to other venues have always been shown on ATR though I don’t recall a whoile meeting being broadcast on both ATR and RUK – it will be interesting to see how this is managed.

As you know, I’m not a huge fan of transferring races or whole meetings especially in the winter when there is such massive redundancy built into the pattern. I accept the summer is slightly different though I would argue the Sagaro, Group 3 as it is, is hardly the be-all and end-all of the staying calendar.

Staging it at Kempton was an option – I’m also wondering whether Lingfield are already looking at moving their Derby Trial meeting on to the AW if the rain keeps up.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I don’t recall a whoile meeting being broadcast on both ATR and RUK – it will be interesting to see how this is managed.

Wasn’t last years Champions Day broadcast on both ATR and RUK – I seem to recall Nick Luck stealing the show with his demolition job on Paul Roy

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Therefore the decision to transfer the card to Kempton AW is both sensible and to be applauded

You will not be surprised that I totally disagree with that sentiment.

Of all the dumb decisions that "Racing PLC" has come up with this has to be amongst the most asinine yet.

It isn’t the greatest card Ascot stages and the Sagaro is not the be all and end all and it would not be missed.

To transfer the meeting from a Grade One turf track to some poxy sand pit makes no sense whatsoever – it’s isn’t even a like for like move.

To move the meeting from a track with top class facilities to a soulless monstrosity like Kempton is nonsensical.

It’s like booking a night at a Crowne Plaza Hotel and ending up in a Travelodge

stodge
    • Total Posts 92

You will not be surprised that I totally disagree with that sentiment.

Of all the dumb decisions that "Racing PLC" has come up with this has to be amongst the most asinine yet.

It isn’t the greatest card Ascot stages and the Sagaro is not the be all and end all and it would not be missed.

You’ll not be surprised to hear I agree wholeheartedly with that. How much the BHA had to do with the transfer I don’t know. I suspect Kempton were on the phone to Ascot within minutes of Ascot calling the meeting off offering their venue.

Let’s be honest – the commercial forces in racing (the bookmakers and the racecourses) want every meeting to be saved and moved. I doubt an Owner, Trainer, Jockey or anyone else involved will object – after all, no racing equals no prize money and the more races that are held, the more opportunity for riders to earn fees and for Owners and Trainers to make their cut.

Efforts to rationalise or reduce the fixture list founder on these rocks – it is in the interests of the powerful in racing (racecourses, bookmakers) for there to be as much racing as possible as often as possible.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

No. It’s like booking a night at a Crowne Plaza Hotel and then being offered a Travelodge intead of nothing.

I find it ridiculous that this forum produces endless moaning about the low quality of racing at AW venues, then even more moaning when a high quality meeting is moved to one.

Who on God’s earth benefits from this meeting just being abandoned with a resigned shrug of the shoulders? Who is the loser by moving it to Kempton, with free entry to boot?

Can any of you opposed to this tell me why we’d all be better off if a meeting of such quality

doesn’t

go ahead?

Mike

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Agreed, it seems half of this forum would only be happy if 85% racing and the people in it were gone, leaving them with just a Cheltenham festival and a Champions day, though they would then moan their nuts off about whether it was a weak race this year compared to ‘the good old days’.

The races being moved to Kempton will be the same but better as they will at least be run on a sounder and more consistent surface.

Racing doesn’t need supporters like most on here.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Agreed, it seems half of this forum would only be happy if 85% racing and the people in it were gone, leaving them with just a Cheltenham festival and a Champions day, though they would then moan their nuts off about whether it was a weak race this year compared to ‘the good old days’.

As opposed to people like you who would be quite happy for racing to be reduced to a BAGS style betting fodder offering, with all races run on soulless oval sand circuits like it is in America.

And it is actually a 40% – 50% reduction I would like to see, not an 85%.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

No. It’s like booking a night at a Crowne Plaza Hotel and then being offered a Travelodge intead of nothing.

I think it is possible to make a cogent argument that nothing is better than a Travelodge but that’s probably more of a discussion for the Lounge :lol:

I find it ridiculous that this forum produces endless moaning about the low quality of racing at AW venues, then even more moaning when a high quality meeting is moved to one.

But you need to bear in mind I am coming from the position of being anti artificial surface racing full stop – I bemoan all racing on that surface regardless of quality

Who is the loser by moving it to Kempton, with free entry to boot?

Anybody who enjoys watching racing on a proper racetrack not one where racegoers cannot even get close to the track.

Incidentally the planned meeting at Ascot was also free admission for the Grandstand and Paddock enclosure and, cynically, one could suggest Kempton is offering free admission because nobody in their right mind would pay to go and watch the AS racing there.

I was looking forward to going to the meeting at Ascot but there is no way I would go to the rearranged meeting – so it will probably be a trip to Ponty instead

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

As opposed to people like you who would be quite happy for racing to be reduced to a BAGS style betting fodder offering, with all races run on soulless oval sand circuits like it is in America.

And it is actually a 40% – 50% reduction I would like to see, not an 85%.

Wrong, like you I have my preferences but can enjoy and support all racing as I can see that you can’t have the top 10% or whatever without the remainder pinning it up.

If this forum ran racing it would be like the snake eating it’s own tail, it would eventually disappear, pissed off and miserable, moaning to the end.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.