The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Art – Your Favourites

Home Forums Lounge Art – Your Favourites

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

My favourite is Rauschenberg’s collection of monochrome works as represented below.

For me the centre painting represents the collective sincerity of human consciousness juxtaposed to the facticity of being (left) and the transcendence of existence (right).

A beautiful and inspirational masterpiece that brings us closer to God – imvho.

wilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

That’s a fake Pomp.

I’ve seen the original and there are a number of unmistakeable differences – to the educated eye at least.

Lee

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

…… and it patently obvious the right hand frame has been hung upside down.

A rather basic, inexcusable, error by the gallery IMO

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6217

Paul

You know nothing! The right hand one had clearly been turned 90 degrees for greater effect.

Rob

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5616

The remarkable, clever and possibly unique fact about these paintings is that the reverses are a mirror image of the fronts, save for the hanging-nail hole. How’s that for attention to detail?

I’ve been slapping white Dulux non-drip on a door today (truly). Though I wouldn’t pretend the finished effort is remotely in the same league as Mr Rauschenberg’s work of genius, on balance there is certainly an uncanny resemblance. So I may just send a photo to Tate Modern for an appraisal.

A load of Jackson Pollocks but nice work if you can get it

In the white room with black curtains near the station.
    Blackroof country, no gold pavements, tired starlings.
    Silver horses ran down moonbeams in your dark eyes.
    Dawnlight smiles on you leaving, my contentment.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

The guys 84 for heavens sake; he probably forgot what he was going to paint on them.[like one of Pauls ‘senior moments’ perhaps…..]

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25883

Pete, Ive got a bag similar to the one your wearing in the photo.

Member since March 2008
    Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

A beautiful and inspirational masterpiece that brings us closer to God – imvho.

Interesting interpretation, Pompete.

To me, this particular piece actually suggests that there is no God, there is no difference between existence and being, and that there better not be a ******* admission fee to this gallery.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Pete, Ive got a bag similar to the one your wearing in the photo.

That’s my Man-Bag, Nathan – for my man things I never leave home without it. An absolute must for us metro-men around town :D

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

In paintings it’s because most artists are right-handed and tend to form the subject and paint from left to right (if painting a horse you would start with the head)

Being left-handed I would naturally do the opposite.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Could it be because you get on a horse from that side, so you’d naturally approach a horse on it’s near [?]side.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

I’d also suggest it is because we read from left to right so it is more natural to take the horse in from head to tail looking left to right. Seems odd when you look at photos the other way around.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.