The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Arkle

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 172 total)
  • Author
    LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Wow he made right hard work of that and I could even hear boo’s from the crowd on the run in…what an odd few minutes.

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

Why are they talking so much 5hite on RUK?

I think that’s a fantastic education for Jonbon. He’s clearly about 7 stone overweight and fair play to Skelton he’s tried to catch him on the hop. Huge injection of pace and Jonbon has done very well to come from 3l down to win comfortably.

No need to panic whatsoever to my mind!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Commentator, Nick Luck, Cunningham and ham going over the top a bit
    not a great spectacle but that’s a 2 horse race for you. Coleman thought he could do things at his own leisure and got a shock the other horse made him have to step up a gear.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

It was a 2 horse race , never easy to pace , Aidan didn’t panic and his jumping is his strength , if there,s 15/8 going about I’ll be indulging

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

Has he corrected out to the right before? That’s the quickest ground he’s ever raced on and he’s as big and gangly as his unsound brother. He’ll know he’s had a race tomorrow too thanks to Calico. To be fair to the horse he did get down and win it- that’s the second time he’s had to work hard to win a race and he didn’t shirk it. But I bet Nicky wishes he’d gone for a nice racecourse gallop on some nice watered ground instead.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

I dont buy the 2 horse race excuse, he’s won a 3 runner race and 4 runner race dominating from the front. For whatever reason he has run flat today.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3467

No tiz, thats not a fantastic education, how calico was sitting 4 out is how jonbon should have, you surround him by the 3/4 irish horses 4 out today hes done for, that was absolutely no help today

Your saying rtv and me going ott nathan, but your underplaying how bad that was, he was 1/33!!!!!!!

Against an out and out 136 rated horse

“Never easy to pace” these jockeys at colemans level can pace these races with there eyes shut and if jonbon cant keep up wit a 136 rated horses pace hows he going to live with a 160+ lightning pace in the arkle

Exactly the reason hes out above 2/1 now

Im laying him currently at 3-3.25, take my money

Participant
    • Total Posts 730

He won his prep, if unimpressive; I wonder if he’d be better suited to the extra distance of the 2m5f Golden Miller? However, he’ll need to be on his ‘A’ game to win the Arkle.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

The only two good things resulting as a consequence of this race was that one he at least (not by design) had a decent race and two, his price went out for those that are keeping the faith…….. a repeat of today’s performance will simply not be good enough but due to the circumstances you can give him a pass and at least he has ticked the winning dirty checkbox.

The Arkle is going to be a proper race and if it is anything like the Aintree race they both served up, it could be a candidate for race of the week.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Impossible to have a repeat of today in the Arkle.
    Dysart is hardly going to crawl
    Henderson would/will be aiming to get Jonbon peak for Cheltenham
    Jockey got caught by surprise, he was expecting to go up a gear in his own time and not be taken on.
    All that said El Fabiolo is at least his match

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

He still jumped way better than El fabiolo , if it does become a slug fest he,s seen him off before he can see him off again

Tizaaards Cider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 639

With the greatest of respect ham, I seem to look at every race with a polar opposite to you so we’ll have to agree to disagree and see who was correct in the long run in a months time.

The horse was built like a tank today and he will come on loads.

Aiden Coleman got caught flat footed by Skelton nothing more than that. He won well and he’ll have found it hard to quicken himself when so overweight and unfit.

El fabiolo is a very good horse who might try and employ similar tactics but the race should be a belter!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

Jockey happy enough with Jonbon. Said it was just a prep.

Participant
    • Total Posts 251

He was hardly going to say “that was crap, we need a miracle in the Arkle” though, was he?

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 204

……or that the ground was too quick and Nicky should have kept to his word and not run him!

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

None of Jonbon’s fans would have expected anything close to that type performance against a horse rated that far below him regardless of whether Hendo had left loads to work on and this only being a prep run.

Having read quite a lot from some that Jonbon’s jumping will be a much bigger asset compared to El Fabiolo, I decide to re-watch the Irish Arkle and (the mistake at the 4th last aside) I realised that he was actually very professional and clever at his fences especially considering it was only his 2nd chase start and the race was much closer to championship pace rather than pottering around at a muddling gallop with plenty of time to measure your fences.

My long winded way of getting to my point is that I think Jonbon’s jumping won’t be nearly as big an advantage (if any) as people may think.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

I have a strong feeling that Cheltenham this year is gonna be full of shocks, as short-priced favs get turned over.
    Why?
    Because the normal Winter jumps ground has been all over the place this season. And some horses havent had the kind of prep their trainers prob planned, from the Autumn onwards.
    Just my opinion, of course.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 172 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.