The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

AOB Group 1's in a season record thread Part 2

Home Forums Horse Racing AOB Group 1's in a season record thread Part 2

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5923

Following on from last years thread i thought i would start another. It seemed quite popular attracting 13.5K views in total.

After Cheltenham and only a couple of weeks to the first G1’s in Dubai in a fortnight seems as good a time as any. I will be adding the runners with entries before each race as before and update it with a few interesting stats as i come across them.

No idea if any odds are available on it this year, but if anyone spots any please add them here. :rose:

3 interesting stats from last year involving three big contributors to the record.

Leading G1 Trainer AOB with 28 in 2nd place was Chad Brown with 16
    Leading G1 Jockey Ryan Moore with 22 in 2nd place was Hugh Bowman on 16
    Leading G1 Sire Gallileo with 24 in 2nd place was Medaglia D’oro on 10

A total of 415 G1 races were ran Worldwide in 2017

So for 2018 29 Required

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

William Hill are 3/1 about 29+ G1s.
    Seems quite short, but he would appear to be in a stronger position than this time last year.
    He has 13 G1 winners to go to war with, including his newest recruit, the sprinter Merchant Navy from down under.
    His older horses provided just 4 G1s last year, Highland Reel with his contribution of 3 will be hard to replace, but the ‘flowers’ (Rhododendron and Hydrangea) will hopefully have better luck than Minding, Alice Springs, Seventh Heaven, Somehow last year.
    He has 21 individual stakes winning 3yos, including 6 G1 winners, with the first 2 (sometimes 3) in the betting for each of the Classics.
    And on the 2yo front, he has a bunch of Scat Daddies, and No Nay Nevers, War Fronts out of Galileo mares, Australia progeny out of fast mares, and Galileo full siblings to Churchill/Clemmie, Highland Reel, Capri, Rip Van Winkle, Minding, Found, Winter, Alice Springs, Maybe, Hydrangea, …
    His problem now is that anything less than 20 G1s will be considered a disappointing season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5923

Long time no see Sunspangled, hope all is well. :rose:

A tough old task indeed this year and 3/1 is a bit of a joke really. Going to be hard for the older horse with Cracksman and Enable kicking around.

I need to dig out a few from the depths of my memory that could step up to the plate this year, really must invest in a notebook someday. :bye:

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

Yucutan is interesting, they rated him higher than Capri last year, but he had a slight setback and they didn’t rush him back. He looked like he would make a much better 4yo.
    The weather will play a big part, good ground is obviously ideal for the War Fronts and the Scat Daddies, but also for the majority of Galileo progeny, so a good summer could make the difference.

Not a great team for Dubai World Cup day, looks like it’ll just be Idaho in the Sheema Classic and Lancaster Bomber in the Dubai Turf. I think they don’t want to risk the likes of Rhododendron or Hydrangea, Meydan seems to take its toll on the rest of the season for horses who run big races there.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5923

Yucutan is interesting, they rated him higher than Capri last year, but he had a slight setback and they didn’t rush him back. He looked like he would make a much better 4yo.

Yep that was the main one for me also. Also hope that Declarationofpeace over 5F and Sioux Nation over 6F can get a few on the board. Two or three sprinters would be a big bonus over years gone by. :yes:

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

Amedeo Modigliani in to 8/1 for the Derby after Aidan’s interview in the Racing Post yesterday, the only 3yo singled out for mention, and very positive mention at that. Word has been that this is the one that Ballydoyle/Coolmore have been waiting for.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5923

First 3 of the year upcoming in Dubai on Saturday.

29 Required :wacko:

Al Quoz Sprint – Washington DC

Dubai Turf – Lancaster Bomber & War Decree

Sheema Classic – Idaho

Participant
    • Total Posts 5923

The 2 Year Old’s played a huge part in last years season. Picked out a few nice looking ones from this years crop.

Full Sister to Delano Roosevelt
    Full sister to Hydrangea
    Full Sister to Ballydoyle
    Full Sister to Capri
    Full Sister to Winter
    Full Sister to Minding
    Full Sister to Found
    Full Sister to The Pentagon
    Full sister to Creative Cause
    Full Sister to Roly Poly & US Navy Flag

Full Brother to Churchill & Clemmie
    Full Brother to Sioux Nation
    Full Brother to Yucatan
    Full Brother to Alice Springs
    Full Brother to Highland Reel
    Full Brother to Rip Van Winkle
    Full Brother to Ruler of the World
    Full Brother to Maybe
    Full Brother to Cliffs of Moher
    Half-brother to Ectot
    Half Brother to September
    Half Brother to Rekindling
    The first foal out of Sky Lantern

Participant
    • Total Posts 5923

No joy today in the G1’s.

29 Required.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5923

Prix Ganay – Rhododendron

Participant
    • Total Posts 5923

Weekend Runners

Could be quite a historic weekend as AOB bids to become the first trainer to achieved 300 Flat Group 1 wins. Needs 1 more.

2000 Guineas

Gustav Klimt
    Saxon Warrior
    Murillo

Old Forester Turf Classic

Deauville

Kentucky Derby

Mendelssohn

1000 Guineas

Happily
    I Can Fly
    Sarrocchi
    Sizzling

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.