The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Anyone seen…?

Home Forums Horse Racing Anyone seen…?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

There is an advert from the northern racing school reference free training leading to qualifications in racing.<br>You phone and quote "Train to Gain".<br>"Applicants must be EU nationals, over the age of 19, who have not achieved an NVQ level 2 or five or more GCSE’s grade A-C".<br>Perhaps funding is not available to those deemed to be too intelligent?

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Nor, Train to Gain is the Governments latest attempt to close the yawning vocational qualification gap with our European partners.

As a nation, we are underskilled, underqualified and employers are comparatively phobic to providing vocational training to employees.  

The Racing Industry, on paper, is a repeat and consistent offender. I part wrote a labour market submission for Cambridgeshire and Suffolk before I was cruelly consigned to the nightmare of professional punting.  Stable staff are massively underqualified on paper as an occupational group.

For those WITH a higher qualification level than those listed, there are a small amount of NVQ Level III’s and IV’s available free of charge. But they must be in a Sector Specific discipline: (i.e. Food Distribution in the East Riding) and in areas of employee shortage.  

Interestingly, the Health and Social Care Industry is the worst national offender.  It seems that if you can push a wheelchair and cook stew, you can get a job in a Care Home and no-one particularly wants to back it up with a certificate.

All qualifications come with a high level of Basic Skills support; in terms of literacy and numeracy, England in particular is on a par with countries like Romania. This is a cause of much sniggering in the coffee bars of Brussels.

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

Thanks Maxilon 5 for your explanation and comments.<br>Pity the racing industry doesn’t encourage and fund those who have qualifications along with those who don’t but I suppose if you keep the majority of your labour force underqualified you get them cheap and they stay cheap.<br>As you say, all ‘hands on’ care jobs, whether within racing, homes, hospitals, or even prisons are lowly paid.<br>Just shows what value this country places on those who look after the weak and vulnerable be they humans or animals.

Ross
    • Total Posts 1

I can speak from first hand experience of the racing industry and I read this advert to be another example of the industry trying to ensure it’s workforce are well qualified.

Funding is available to people from all walks of life and with varying qualifications. From my own experiences I know trainers are supportive of training.

Out of curiosity I visited the college website and noticed they have courses for post graduates, which are funded by the British Horseracing Board. I feel the training offered is rather refreshing and should be praised.

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

Sorry Ross if I have caused offence but my point was directed towards stable staff, not graduates.<br>Once through initial training, if stable staff want to further their education, ie NVQ3, this has to be done mostly in their spare time. As they work extremely hard with long hours, this is difficult.<br>As far as I’m aware (and would gladly be corrected), there is no course at the racing schools designed for the study of an NVQ3 with set periods of days/weeks for guidance/tuition within the school and away from the yard. <br>Study is done with an assessor who visits the yard periodically. Yes, some trainers are very supportive but a racing yard can be a very busy place and appointments with the assessor sometimes need to be cancelled. Not a satisfactory arrangement.<br>Consequently, most never embark, never mind complete, further education.

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Ross, I tend to agree with Nor: but it’s not only a problem with the racing game. It seems many employers in this country have yet to embrace the value of training for lower paid and lower skilled employees.

NVQ assessment is extremely reliant on employer commitment and more importantly, the self-discipline of the trainee. The hours stable staff work is a barrier in itself; an average working day is long and arduous and many don’t really want to finish their days sorting out their evidence folder in the evening.

But for graduates, as Ross says, the Industry does reasonably well, (though as a huge employer, there could be more opportunities still – and from a wider range of socio-economic groups).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.