The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Anybody settle an argument

Home Forums Horse Racing Anybody settle an argument

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DaveMonkDaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

And tell me who the commentator is at 1min 50sec
    Its Ayr Racecourse…..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWkL2gcXNuY

Thanks
    Dave

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Jonathan Turner

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

And the chap doing Sandown before that, anyone? I’ve half got it in my mind that it’s Robin Gray. "Lord" John Budden was the other name that came to mind, though I always thought he was based mainly further north.

Ta in advance,

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

DaveMonkDaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

Jonathan Turner

Ha fiver in the bag….. another question Yeats was Jonathan Turner SIS into the bookies or just course only???

PS Where is he now??

DaveMonkDaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

And the chap doing Sandown before that, anyone? I’ve half got it in my mind that it’s Robin Gray. "Lord" John Budden was the other name that came to mind, though I always thought he was based mainly further north.

Ta in advance,

gc

Is it not a an old bbc/itv feed Jeremy??, Tony Cooke????? cld be wrong…

John Budden normally done Carlisle and Hexham, remember him doin a gig at newcastle as well, but u already knew that didnt you hehe.

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

It was Gray graysonscolumn, think he did most of those southern courses like Sandown, Ascot and Exeter. I can remember him being interviewed on tv once and they asked him about betting and he said he never, ever, had a bet! Different breed of commentator in those days obviously.

Dave I would imagine as the commentary is on the video it went into the bookies on SIS although I think they did have separate commentators for a time but before then.
    Turner was sacked in their annual cull of commentators, think he may still do some ptp’s.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Cheers, Yeats, thanks for confirming! A quick check of the Racing Post archive reveals that Sandown race to date back to March 24th, 1992 (presumably the course’s late, lamented all-chase Tuesday card) – Al Hashimi and Dunwoody won it, whilst the jockey decanted from Le Chat Noir was Ian Lawrence.

I wasn’t really aware of Robin back then (being 15 years before our paths crossed in Points), though I must have heard him in betting shops without realising it.

I can confirm in return, by the way, that Johnnie Turner was removed from the Racetech roster at the end of 2003 (along with Mike Vince and Kel Mansfied). He was quite sanguine about it, as he had (still has?) interests in shipping companies to keep him busy.

If he has done any Pointing commentaries since then they won’t have numbered very many. Turner is based in the North West Area, where Eric Windsor has pretty much farmed the commentary gigs since before the gods were born (Darren Driver at Whittington this Easter was the first NW Point I’ve ever been to where he wasn’t on duty). He does still do a bit of MCing at Points in this neck of the woods, though.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

DaveMonkDaveMonk
    • Total Posts 153

Cheers, Yeats, thanks for confirming! A quick check of the Racing Post archive reveals that Sandown race to date back to March 24th, 1992 (presumably the course’s late, lamented all-chase Tuesday card) – Al Hashimi and Dunwoody won it, whilst the jockey decanted from Le Chat Noir was Ian Lawrence.

I wasn’t really aware of Robin back then (being 15 years before our paths crossed in Points), though I must have heard him in betting shops without realising it.

I can confirm in return, by the way, that Johnnie Turner was removed from the Racetech roster at the end of 2003 (along with Mike Vince and Kel Mansfied). He was quite sanguine about it, as he had (still has?) interests in shipping companies to keep him busy.

If he has done any Pointing commentaries since then they won’t have numbered very many. Turner is based in the North West Area, where Eric Windsor has pretty much farmed the commentary gigs since before the gods were born (Darren Driver at Whittington this Easter was the first NW Point I’ve ever been to where he wasn’t on duty). He does still do a bit of MCing at Points in this neck of the woods, though.

gc

Some great info chaps, thanks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.