The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Anthony Van Dyck

Home Forums Memorials Anthony Van Dyck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ex RubyLight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1867

What a huge price to pay when you lose the 2019 Derby winner in a Melbourne Cup!

May he rest in peace

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 818

How much longer are we going to send horses to run in this horrible race? How many fatalities is that now?

Poor Anthony Van Dyck. You did not deserve that. Rest in peace.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3813

It was Sir Dragonet I was worried about, with his size and action, but I was worried about the wrong one :-(

Looking at the fatality rate of European horses it may just be an unlucky cluster but I’d like to make it a condition of entry that every horse is bone scanned on arrival in Aus, then every horse in the race is scanned again a week or two beforehand (if possible to do without messing up their prep) and also a few days after the race.

I think it would be very interesting to look for differences in bone density between horses trained all year on Aus ground and the ones that have been here, and the incidence of microfractures after training and racing out there.

I suspect we might get some nasty shocks. I wonder how many lucky escapes we have had- if there were some that were only half a furlong from disaster but not overtly lame, I assume they just get back on the plane and then get tucked up in their stables for the winter here and some hair raising things could quietly heal and nobody would be any the wiser. Maybe it doesn’t work like that and anything whose bones were close to the edge goes noticeably lame after. Also, I know the O’Brien horses get Xrayed before big races at least, going on the info released after Sir Erec’s demise. Just wondering.

Kristaltips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 81

So sad to wake up to this news. That’s seven fatalities in the last 8 years of the Melbourne Cup with the last one being another Aidan O’Brien horse, the gorgeous Cliffs of Moher in 2018. Just so terribly sad. RIP Anthony 😪

Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1368

And an ex-AOB horse, Rostropovich, also injured in last year’s race. Thankfully he’s survived but it was touch and go and he hasn’t raced since. Not just the race itself either. Wichita lost this year, The Pentagon before him. There has been a lot of criticism from locals about the quarantine facilities at Werribee where the international horses are trained, though Racing Victoria denies it’s a problem. Sounds like there will be a thorough investigation given such a high-profile horse has been lost so perhaps something will come to light and measures such as those suggested by Greenasgrass can be put in place.

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11502

⚘RIP Anthony Van Dyck⚘

Hadn’t he achieved enough already than to be flown over to Australia to further line the pockets of his ambitious owners.
    Now they have lost both Wichita and Anthony Van Dyck two empty horse boxes heading home to Ballydoyle.
    Absolutely devastated about this and will never forget him.

Wichita will be waiting by the rainbow bridge for you handsome boy and may you both run free with no more pain..🌈😪

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3813

Hadn’t he achieved enough already than to be flown over to Australia to further line the pockets of his ambitious owners.

I suppose it was about stallion potential.
    Didn’t have a clutch of 10f G1 wins, so not an expensive Flat sire. Didn’t like soft ground, so not a NH sire, or a domestic Cup horse or Arc prospect. Might perhaps have become a globetrotting 12f horse like Highland Reel but trying to win the Melbourne Cup is such a big deal for the Aussies now that I expect standing a topweight Melbourne Cup winner at Coolmore Australia would yield maximum $$

Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 11502

That’s very likely why he was there green looking at the Australian connections in his Pedigree, but oh what a terrible waste.

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.