The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Immigration

Home Forums Lounge Immigration

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4812

Good post, Paul.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2158

Paul, just to get this clear:

What you’re saying is that incomers to France should adopt French language/ cuisine/ outlook/ ways of doing things generally ?

And presumably similarly for incomers to GB or any other country?

You would be opposed for eaxmple to the voluntary "parallel lives" that Gurharpal Singh found a feature of the Indian community in Leicester as recorded in his UNESCO report ?:

http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0013/0 … df#page=79

Hence you would criticise non-integrationists whoever and wherever they may be?

Multiculturalism by choice (as in the Dordogne case) is as bad as multiculturalism by force of economic circumstances / fear ?

Just interested to understand what you’re saying / being applauded for.

Incidentally, the Singh report link above would seem to blow away any notion that what Labour has done on immigration is not deliberate and not of long term calculation.

best regards

wit

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I don’t see how Paul’s post is spot on or relevant to the title of this thread :?
    So what if some brits produced their own little british community in The Dordogne. Why the surprise :? Brits have done this in california and India and other areas of the world in the same way that many other immigrants do when they settle in another country. Is there anything really wrong in this?

China actually realised that this often happens and built special areas in their large cities which were copies of british and american style city homes etc so that the brits and americans would feel at home when they moved there following the ‘ westernisation of China ‘

The USA is full of city areas which are replicas of other countries and immigrants partly do this due to fears of racist attacks ( safety in numbers etc ). However many brits settle in other countries and respect the culture and laws of their adopted nation and I disagree that Brits are amongst the worse at integrating when in other lands…….the Irish are much worse ( only joking :) ).

Is integration by the immigrants in this country the real issue ? I do not believe it is. I think that a lot of this countries immigrants have mixed well.
    It’s the growing population partly caused by the immigration policy of this Govt and the problems that it is causing which has caused a lot of resentment. Unfortunately some of this resentment has been targeted at the immigrants which is very unfair.

A decade ago, I knew nobody who was against immigration and recognised the benefits it produced and thought that it made this country a more interesting place to live in.

Now I know many people who are very concerned about immigration and the blame lies totally with our useless Govt who have caused this problem which is making the country a worse place to live in.

The fact that the New Labour immigration policy was kept from the public only makes things worse and will cause more resentment. New labour have made racism a big problem in the UK when it previously was not one before they came into power.

paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4625

What you’re saying is that incomers to France should adopt French language/ cuisine/ outlook/ ways of doing things generally ?

What I am saying is they should attempt to integrate as much as possible.

If you want the British way of life stay in Britain.

If you don’t want to live the French way of life then why the hell bother moving there or setting up home there in the first place?

It does not mean totally cutting off traditions but it is incumbent on the “incomer” to try to adapt to the local way of life.

In doing so “traditions” will pass from community to community and that is how cultures spread and mix and how multiculturalism comes about.

It does not come about by ghettoiseation, it comes with communities mixing.

And presumably similarly for incomers to GB or any other country?

yes … see above.

Hence you would criticise non-integrationists whoever and wherever they may be?

Yes

I don’t see how Paul’s post is spot on or relevant to the title of this thread :?

I did actually say I was putting a new slant on the original posting :wink:

So what if some brits produced their own little british community in The Dordogne. Why the surprise :? Brits have done this in california and India and other areas of the world in the same way that many other immigrants do when they settle in another country. Is there anything really wrong in this?

The fact it has also been done elsewhere does not make it right and I believe it is absolutely wrong – yes.

When I have lived in, stayed in or visited another country (even on holiday) I have always made every attempt to integrate to their way of life, their way of doing things and, where possible use their language.

If nothing else it is common courtesy.

China actually realised that this often happens and built special areas in their large cities which were copies of british and american style city homes etc so that the brits and americans would feel at home when they moved there following the ‘ westernisation of China ‘

No China did it to keep Westerners apart from the locals to stop Western habits infiltrating the local way of life.

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.