The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Immigration

Home Forums Lounge Immigration

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

At the risk of raking up a whole can of worms I’ve just watched a program on Sky called UK Border Patrol or something similar.

It shows the immigration process, from the Consulate in India processing various visa applications, to Heathrow’s immigration department and those who deal with illegal immigrants working.

For those who think "British" people are being undercut and the current economic plight and unemployment rates is the fault of foreigners I’d suggest they watch this show.

Example shown today:

Man in Liverpool who runs an Indian restaurant picks up a £10,000 fine for every illegal worker he has in the kitchen, the workers in question are handcuffed and taken to the station (and subsequently deported). Man is left to go free (despite this being at least a second offence) and picks up a £20,000 fine. Surely given he’s done this before £20,000 is not enough – £50,000 per person is far more of a deterrent and as mentioned on the show he’s not only undercutting British employees, he’s doing it to perfectly legal foreign workers, British employers, foreign employers etc.

He didn’t pay any NI or tax for these employees and paid them £20 a day between them. No doubt people will still visit his restaurant (it’s called the Ashoa btw).

Martin

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Errr…

Illegal immigrants are "nicking" jobs from legal workers.

It has nothing to do with race. The same would apply if the workers were east european or australian. Its simple rule of law…and one very few would disagree with

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Anyone who exploits vulnerable people should be dealt with appropriately. The fines are obviously not big enough to deter these unscrupulous employers.

Nothing really to do with race or immigration imo.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Irish, it is surely the legal migrants from the EU – rather than illegal immigrants from elsewhere – who have had the biggest impact on “British” jobs, is it not?

Just ask my pal, lollys mate.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

I’ve no problem with deporting the illegal workers it’s more the treatment of the owner of the restaurant that irks me. Given in most circumstances it’s the owner who’s brought them over to work anyway and it was a repeat offence surely some real hefty fines should apply.

Dave Jay made my point for me in his post too :)

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Irish, it is surely the legal migrants from the EU – rather than illegal immigrants from elsewhere – who have had the biggest impact on “British” jobs, is it not?

Just ask my pal, lollys mate.

The legal immigrants aren’t something we can do about given we’re signed up to various freedom of movement treaties.

If people are really bothered about immigration then we’ll stop the Aussies, South Africans, Kiwi’s, Americans etc. coming in though I suspect with many anti-immigration protestors that isn’t what they would want.

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

I think we should invite anyone who wants to come here with open arms.

If it means so much to people to move away from there home land, then why should we stop them.

See! My therapist said I could do it!

lollys mate
    • Total Posts 625

gh?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

We should let ALL of the people in the Gaza strip and let them settle around London.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Fact immagrants do jobs our own will not for the wages offered or lack the skills too do the job IE nursing etc.

The Americans deported allot of Mexicans during the drepression and foudn that few americans would work for the money and in the conditions.

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Fact immagrants do jobs our own will not for the wages offered or lack the skills too do the job IE nursing etc.

The Americans deported allot of Mexicans during the drepression and foudn that few americans would work for the money and in the conditions.

.. I disagree with all of that, did you make it up yourself or is it someone’s drivel?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Article by Andrew Neather (former Downing Street adviser and speech writer) in The London Evening Standard 23/10/09
    Link:-

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23760073-dont-listen-to-the-whingers—london-needs-immigrants.do

..the deliberate policy of ministers from late 2000 until at least February last year, when the Government introduced a points-based system, was to open up the UK to mass migration….
    …there was a reluctance elsewhere in government to discuss what increased immigration would mean, above all for Labour’s core white working-class vote.
    But the earlier drafts I saw also included a driving political purpose: that mass immigration was the way that the Government was going to make the UK truly multicultural.

I remember coming away from some discussions with the clear sense that the policy was intended – even if this wasn’t its main purpose – to rub the Right’s nose in diversity and render their arguments out of date.

…Part by accident, part by design, the Government had created its longed-for immigration boom.
    But ministers wouldn’t talk about it. In part they probably realised the conservatism of their core voters: while ministers might have been passionately in favour of a more diverse society, it wasn’t necessarily a debate they wanted to have in working men’s clubs in Sheffield or Sunderland.

It’s only fair to point out that the author is in favour of New Labour’s immigration “policy” – even if unhappy or ashamed at some of the motives behind it. Read the full article, he makes a reasonable case (at least for Londoners).
    With politicians like these (and I’m quite prepared to accept that the Conservatives and LibDems would be just as underhand), is it any wonder that so many (particularly from core-Labour voters), turn to the BNP?
    What with this and the promise of a referendum on the EU constitution, why bother with a manifesto? New Labour just do what they want, don’t let the people have a say ‘cos they’re not as clever as Messrs Brown, Blair, Hain, Straw, Harman, Blears, Jacqui Smith, Blunkett, Reid, Millibands, Prescott etc.
    Crikey – let the people know too much and they might even dare to criticise MPs expenses!

paulostermeyer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4625

just putting a slightly different slant on this one.

The ironic thing is Brits are amongst the worse at integrating when in other lands, yet we are the first to complain when immigrants here do not integrate – if there was a world championships in hypocrisy then Brits would win it hands down.

You only need to look back at the history of the Empire to see how we tried to impose our standards and beliefs across the globe – yet we shout the loudest when other cultures try and suggest we should follow their ways.

Even now we ghettoise and stick together when abroad.

For our honeymoon we stayed in a friends house in a beautiful village in the Dordogne, an idyllic setting in a typical rural hamlet.

In the home they had a visitors guide which they had left for people staying there. Top of the recommendations was this “fantastic” restaurant / bar with an “unbeatable” atmosphere. The only downside is it was about a 90 minute drive to get there.

Anyway we decide to give it a go and set off. We found the place and it looked OK from the outside. We took one step through the door, stopped and stared for about thirty seconds and then promptly turned round and walked out. This “fantastic restaurant / bar” was a re-creation of a British pub and was full of Brits. I could not believe it – not only that I was really angry having wasted so much time and effort to visit the place.

What really angered me even more was in the hamlet where we were staying the local farmers wife had a small restaurant attached to the farm. It only sat six to eight – but it served the most wonderful local, home produces food, and it was obscenely priced – not expensively – she was seriously underselling her product. Yet there was no mention at all of this gem in the “guide” in the house.

It was the same with shopping the “recommended” supermarket was British owned.

The Dordogne is a beautiful area in its own right, the way of life is fantastic – yet these British settlers were doing their best to turn it into a Little Britain – it is small wonder locals resented the “invasion”.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Nobody’s saying ALL white, working class voters have deserted Labour for the BNP, only that the BNP’s rump support comes from this section. (BTW great article in the Sunday Telegraph by James Forsyth today on the "rise" of the BNP vote and how to stop them in their tracks).
    Whatever ones view on the BNP / Immigration, to me, the shocking thing about the admission by the Labour adviser was that such a policy was decided WITHOUT letting the people know that it was policy; issues like this should be in a manifesto.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5148

Good post PaulO, spot on

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.